A trip into Boston on the MBTA...

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
Yesterday I journeyed into Boston for a lunch with a buddy of mine. He came in from Framingham while I came in from the north on the Haverhill line. I apologize for not having any pictures, but I didn't want to carry my tablet or camera and then worry about losing it, besides I had the sun in my eyes the whole way so we couldn't have seen much from the pictures anyway. So in place of pictures, I've including some links from Bing.

I picked up the inbound, to Boston, train at the relatively new Haverhill station which hosts both the MBTA commuter trains and Amtrak's Downeaster. This was once the site of a grand station with big waiting rooms and covered platforms. Today, all this gone and only a couple of the generic commuter platforms remain and a large parking lot near the station. The awful cold wind blows right off the Merrimack river, which is nearby, causing everyone to wait inside their cars for the train to arrive.

http://binged.it/1tKUpfS ---- Haverhill Station.

http://binged.it/1tKUMqT ---- the Merrimack River Bridge.

Where the big parking lot is today, was a small storage yard and a coal company. I remember that as a kid when I used to get the train from this location.

Eventually, the train arrived from the east by timetable, south by direction, however, it didn't stop and passed up beyond the station to cross over to the inbound track. It was empty and must have come out of the storage yard in Bradford, which is located just over the bridge. When the train pulled in from the south, I got out of my Jeep and watched the action. The train pulled up to Haverhill yard, or what's left of it, the engineer tooted the horn twice for the backup move, crossed over, and headed back on the inbound platform.

http://binged.it/1tKVe8h ---- Bradford Depot and storage yard

There have been a lot of improvements being done on the line, which I will detail in a bit, however, there's one that needs mentioning. The Merrimack River Bridge is being rebuilt. In 2011 it was discovered that there were some structural things that needed repairs so the trains now move over at slow speeds. Freights go about 15 mph while passenger trains are at 20 mph. This has caused some delays on this relatively busy stretch of track. A few repairs were done last year, with ties being replaced and some railings being added to the walkways. This year, this month (April), the "T" is supposed to start a full restoration of this 100 year old bridge.

We pulled into Bradford after crossing over the big bridge. What was once the Groveland branch, which ran as far as the old Haverhill Paperboard company, is now a pile of ties and rusty track. This is becoming a walking trail and will no longer see any track. What was once a small freight yard, is now a parking lot for commuters and 2 storage tracks for the commuter trains. I used to watch the old B&M shunt freight cars here when I was growing up. I live just up behind the station on nearby Front Street, and my dad and I would stand at the fence and watch the action, oh many years ago.

One of the biggest changes on the line is the signals. Slowly and sadly the old distinctive B&M Searchlight signals are being replaced by new tri-color Saftran signals. There are new signals in operation in parts while others are still facing away from the track. I suppose it's a sign of progress, but a sad one too.

After stopping at Bradford, we then picked up speed for a short distance when we encountered some slow orders due to MOW crews out performing their spring time maintenance and signal work along the line. As we passed the crews, the engineer blew the horn and they waved back. A short distance later, the outbound (to Haverhill) commuter train passed us as it headed to the start of its new inbound run.

We never really got up to track speed of 70mph before we had to slow for the road crossing and curves through North Andover and stop at Lawrence. Lawrence has seen substantial changes over the year, and can be a subject all on its own. There were once two yards here with many sidings and a number of mill branch lines, the old M&L, L&L, and the big Andover Street yard. All but the L&L branch and the Andover Street yard remain active. The old M&L is now weeds and has been taken out of service. What is left of the old second yard is now a few tracks, two main line and a siding, with the new station sitting where other tracks used to be. About 6 years ago, the old Lawrence station was closed and the new one was built farther north about a mile down the road. The old station as a classic 1920s Art Deco design, built at the same time as North Station was, even had similar architectural elements, and was quite the show place. Today the station houses some retail shops and the platforms are rotting away.

http://binged.it/1tL0zg7 ---- Lawrence "new" station

http://binged.it/1rtBBzx ---- Lawrence "old" station

http://binged.it/1tL11Li ---- Andover Street yard.

We passed the old M&L branch, went under Salem Street, and the passed the bigger Andover Street, or South Lawrence Yard. This is now a major yard on the old B&M, having picked up the roles from other nearby smaller yards over the years. The tracks are in deplorable condition, with many of them sinking into the dirt! There was a switcher doing some work as it was getting ready for some more traffic as he switched a bunch of tank cars.

The biggest and noticeable improvements can be seen as we head through Andover and inbound to Boston. We never did pick up speed due to the many MOW crews out, but we did move along pretty well. The line is being double-tracked, again. Notice I said again. This line was once double-track from Wilmington Junction all the way to Exeter New Hampshire. During the mid-1970s, the old bankrupt B&M removed the second track in many places including Andover. In the 1980s, the MBTA gained control of the line for commuter use, upgraded the single track to welded rail, and that's where it remained for the past 30 years. Since the infrastructure improvements have been made possible, the line is being restored again to double track. It was a happy sight for a change to see the crews putting in track rather than seeing ripped up rusty branch lines and weeded over sidings.

http://binged.it/1tL2WiI

As we sped along past Wilmington Jct, we passed the Brunswick-bound Downeaster coming off of the Wildcat branch. We continued on to North Station in Boston on the Reading branch. There have been few improvements done on this sections since it was reincorporated into the commuter service in the 1980s. The track from Reading into Boston is still jointed rail and the speeds are still slow due to the number of stops. Sadly, the old Wakefield to Danvers branch is dead, having been allowed to rot by Guilford back in the early 2000s. We then parallel the Orange Line MBTA subway from Oak Grove Malden all the way into North Station.

John

Last edited:
Your friend came from the Framingham MBTA line, did this hold him up? It held me up. Women walks through the gates w/train moving, lights flashing, horn blowing.

Video: [video]http://boston.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10092431[/video]

You can see CSX Boston Subdivision pulling through the crossing at the end of the video.

Last edited:
We did this early enough to avoid the old lady crossing the tracks! He actually got in a few minutes earlier than I did and into South Station. I decided to walk from North Station to Quincy Market. It was a lot cheaper than the besides I needed a bit of exercise. :)

I saw this on the news tonight, a few minutes ago, and thought about what would have been a tied up mess for us.

John

A surprising amount of ex B&M stations have been saved. On an inbound trip from weston, I pass by a number of old stations, and a couple on the Fitchburg line are used as actual stations, like West Concord. Also, almost all of the ex B&A commuter loop stations on the green line are still standing as well. Also, right by the now abandoned Beacon Park Yard is a great sports bar called Regina's Pizza. Two years ago, I went there once or twice when the yard was still in operation. You can ask for trackside seating and I used to watch the MBTA trains and the CSX engine moves and freight trains. Right up near the end it was a pretty busy place.
What is the future for Beacon Park? I've heard just about everything:pAR taking it over, MBTA using it as a coach yard and/or engine terminal, CSX renewing operation, turning the land into condos, government buildings, the works...

Last edited:
A surprising amount of ex B&M stations have been saved. On an inbound trip from weston, I pass by a number of old stations, and a couple on the Fitchburg line are used as actual stations, like West Concord. Also, almost all of the ex B&A commuter loop stations on the green line are still standing as well. Also, right by the now abandoned Beacon Park Yard is a great sports bar called Regina's Pizza. Two years ago, I went there once or twice when the yard was still in operation. You can ask for trackside seating and I used to watch the MBTA trains and the CSX engine moves and freight trains. Right up near the end it was a pretty busy place.
What is the future for Beacon Park? I've heard just about everything:pAR taking it over, MBTA using it as a coach yard and/or engine terminal, CSX renewing operation, turning the land into condos, government buildings, the works...

Beacon Park Yard was purchased and is now a "Harvard Yard," (purchased by Harvard University). No more sports bar trainspotting. The CSX yard operations have been moved to Worcester, but there are intermodal and trilevel facilities east of Worcester. As you can see in the old lady video cited, CSX still roams east of Worcester. So much for the "Boston" subdivision.

But on a positive note, we have gained Pan Am Railways and increasing NS traffic going north to Ayer and Westford.

Last edited:
Beacon Park Yard was purchased and is now a "Harvard Yard," (purchased by Harvard University). No more sports bar trainspotting. The CSX yard operations have been moved to Worcester, but there are intermodal and trilevel facilities east of Worcester. As you can see in the old lady video cited, CSX still roams east of Worcester. So much for the "Boston" subdivision.

But on a positive note, we have gained Pan Am Railways and increasing NS traffic going north to Ayer and Westford.

I had read that Harvard wanted this land for years. It appears they finally got their wish. It's a sad thing to see this yard disappear, and it did over the years as the I-90 (Mass Pike for those not from the region) and other interchanges were built up, and office parks moved in. With the operation moved to Worcester, what happens to Westboro and Framingham? I thought those were going to be the big yards on the same line. I haven't been over at Railroad.net in some time to keep up on the news. I can't believe PAR wants to put in a yard there. They gave up the Boston Terminal for condos and other development years ago, and now Yard 8 is a new T-station going in. Does anyone know what's happening here? I saw the construction while inbound from Haverhill.

PAR is still Guilford, just by another color. Dave Fink Jr. is running the show, although a little nicer spirited than his dad, he still runs things into the ground. If it wasn't for NS, we'd still have slow orders all the way to Rotterdam Jct. on the West End. At one point trains were outlawing by the time they got to Athol due to the 10mph track speeds once they got past Fitchburg. If only with NS would take over the whole system and get PAR out of the business totally.

I'm not saying this as a railfan with a passion for the Boston and Maine either. When GTI took over in the mid-1980s, everyone were happy to see an uptick in traffic, new engines and service with the integration of the MEC and D&H into the system, and better long distance freight service. That didn't last long once they started cutting and discouraging business, cutting wages and doing shady business tactics to bust the unions. This all resulted in a strike due to safety issues that were brought up at the time due to the deferred maintenance on both the railroad and the rolling stock.

During this time they also removed the Mountain Division along with the Scranton line of the D&H and the Augusta Low Road of the MEC. Both regions had asked for continued service, but GTI ignored the requests and pulled track anyway. In Maine the residents on the Low Road even went to court to bring back business and GTI ignored the court orders. Eventually Maine bought the ROW and the Maine Eastern supplies the service, or what's left of it now because everything got dragged out in court for years. The old B&M Rochester to Conway line, which was still owned but closed before GTI took over, was bisected just above Wakefield, NH. GTI sold everything except for one small 1-mile or 1/2-mile segment in the middle to prevent another company from taking over and running trains. They did the same with the Mountain Division up on the Vermont border as well. Eventually the state governments purchased the ROW and hopefully service will be restored again, but I'm not hold my breath on this one given New Hampshire's anti-rail attitude, and how they let the old Northern Railroad of New Hampshire go to a trail instead of a through route to White River Jct., which was being considered at the time, but fought very heavily by the New Hampshire state government.

I'm glad many of the stations are still standing on the old Fitchburg line. Sadly, on the original B&M line from Wilmington Jct. to Boston via Reading, the stations have been removed over the years. The only remaining buildings, and these aren't even used as stations anymore, are Reading, Wakefield, and Malden. The active stations are merely generic platforms with those exposed shelters made of concrete and steel.

John

In my opinion, Boston's railroad days are long gone. Maybe NS will pick up the slack, but the city wants the freight railroads out, and the house always wins in the end. One thing's for sure: It's going to kill some industries in Boston. I also doubt Harvard is going to actually do anything with Beacon Park for a while. Looking at some old pictures of it, it's hard tk believe it could ever go.

Its only fair to mention CSX still runs a daily freight in SE Massachusetts, of about 30 cars down and back from Quincy/Braintree to Middleboro despite BPY being sold.

I agree we've lost the railroad legacy around Boston forever. Boston was called the "Hub" for that very reason. The railroads and trolley lines radiated outward from the downtown. The Beacon yards were also quite the operation at one time and in addition to that where the Prudential plaza is there used to be coach yards that belonged the Boston and Albany. When I was a kid, my dad would go to the First National Bank of Boston on Boylston Street. I recall seeing some old paintings of the coach yards and then a modern photograph of the same area. It was quite a contrast.

CSX does have quite a presence on the Southside. This would be their territory anyway since they have the old New Haven/Old Colony lines. I don't know much about their operations other than this. From what I've heard, and seen some videos of, the MBTA and CSX are working on restoring service down through Easton via Stoughton to Fall River. This is a great restoration of the service in that area. Sadly, the NIMBYs have come out in full force against the service restoration, and is typical of how things are today. I only wish the old Central Mass was restored at least as far as Hudson, but that will never happen. The line has become a rail trail as usual.

John

Here is a similar railfan's photo journey from South Station to Cape Cod...

John I think you and your friend should plan this trip this summer...

http://trainweb.org/vrt/CapeFlyer/
134.jpg

127.jpg

Here is a similar railfan's photo journey from South Station to Cape Cod...

John I think you and your friend should plan this trip this summer...

http://trainweb.org/vrt/CapeFlyer/

I took a fan trip on the Cape Cod and Hyannis back in the 1985 as part of the NMRA Boston Show. This was the only NMRA show I went to and I met a fellow member, by accident, at the MBTA commuter station in Andover. His daughter turned out to be my little sister's 3rd grade teacher. We hung out together, and this being long before email for the masses, lost contact, but he was my show mentor. He showed me the ropes and how to sign up for various clinics and other fan trips. I also took a trip to the Seashore Trolley Museum, and a trip on the Providence and Worcester. The trip to Vermont with the ride on the Green Mountain RR was sold out at the time. I also bought a ton of stuff at the show. Those were the days with Kato (Atlas) Alco-RS3s going for $25.00.

John

I took a fan trip on the Cape Cod and Hyannis back in the 1985 as part of the NMRA Boston Show. .... Those were the days with Kato (Atlas) Alco-RS3s going for $25.00.

John

Well then you are way overdue; and the CapeFlyer leaves from South Station.

Well then you are way overdue; and the CapeFlyer leaves from South Station.

That's even better, although the old trip was interesting. I took the commuter rail from Andover to Boston then the streetcar to Prudential to meet up with the crowd. We then got on the Green Line again back to Park Street where we switched to the Red Line to Braintree where we then crossed over to the CC&H for the trip to Hyannis. I became a group leader so to speak, because I know the T system inside and out. My T knowledge reputation got out pretty fast and I then had people, not native to the region, asking me all kinds of directions to various places.

John

I remember when they came out with the NYCTA map teeshirt in NYC back in the 70's, I had rural-folk come up to me and thought it was extremely novel and useful, were very gleefully absorbed by the concept, and even took photos for future travel reference while in the big apple.

I was looking back at JCitron's comments about old lines and the losses over the pond. Although we had cutbacks in Great Britain we are perhaps a bit more fortunate that our passenger rail is so still widespread and in fact growing. Although I have walked up the odd long gone passenger line Americans have lost much. I know, i know, about country size, motorcars and whatever but for the rail fan especially passenger-wise it is a sad story. As a long agovisitor to the "ex-colonies (!) twice in the 1980's I remember watching out the train window and the sad approach to I think it was Philadelphia and a station with several platforms all lying long out of use. With passenger numbers in GB in the billion figures and lines re-opening here and there I have to admit being a life-long rail fan that I am glad I live this side of the water!

Took the CapeFlyer trip on Memorial Day. I must say it is one of the most scenic rides I have been on and VERY friendly - people waved to the train from their backyards (something you don't see in the balance of Massachusetts), including a wave one little girl from her pony, waves from cove fishermen, waves from golfers, and a group of female joggers.

At Hyannis I captured this threesome of vintage EMD with "Cape Cod Central Railroad" livery, an F Unit, a GP9, and a GP 38-2. The F unit was interesting because it had custom sunken ditch lights installed and some custom contour rework of the numberboards.

WP_20140526_006_1.jpg

Those are awesome locomotives. They need an old Alco RS-3 in the same paint scheme if they don't have one already. That loco would look really classy.

Friendly neighbors? That really is odd especially for the NIMBY ridden South Shore. The residents of Easton are fighting the rail restoration to Fall River from what I've heard. "Trains make noise and smell" is their biggest complaint. The same ones live in Atkinson New Hampshire and are complaining that the MBTA might setup a storage yard in Plaistow.

I'm glad you had a great journey. I need to try that some day.

John

They used to have a chop nose RS-3, but it had maintenance problems and they wound up scrapping it. That F unit looks like it has E8 numberboards.

I love the look of the RS-3 that they had.
ccc1201.jpg

That F unit looks like it has E8 numberboards.

You know what, I can't help noticing how similar this unit looks to this SusieQ E9A. Hmm, I should have counted axles, I sort of came around the right side of the GP38 and took a quick shot in a hurry to catch the Nantucket ferry.

Susquehanna2402.jpg

Those are awesome locomotives.

Yes. I spotted them from going through that little yard before Hyannis. I ran to get this shot before running for the ferry shuttle.

They need an old Alco RS-3 in the same paint scheme if they don't have one already. That loco would look really classy.

There is barely enough tracks in Hyannis to keep these locos (and barely enough funding).

Friendly neighbors? That really is odd especially for the NIMBY ridden South Shore.

The waves were only from Cape Cod folks. I think it is because trains operated only with the frequency of a tourist novelty, and without freight. And it was mostly to show the young folks what a train looks like. Wait until it sinks in that the governor has made the CapeFlyer a scheduled entity 3 days a week and things might change.

It looked like some buzzards bay fisherman did not appreciate us making awful sounds in the water. Their expression was like "What a train? I thought we don't have trains trains anymore."

The residents of Easton are fighting the rail restoration to Fall River from what I've heard. "Trains make noise and smell" is their biggest complaint. The same ones live in Atkinson New Hampshire and are complaining that the MBTA might setup a storage yard in Plaistow.

They do cause grade-crossing inconvenience (sound and waiting). The MBTA yards do not make lots of noise, they must remain within the Commonwealth's noise guidelines. Braintree has a Subway and CSX yard in close proximity and not a peep from the public. Plaistow has much more open country than Braintree, I can't see the yard as a problem.

I'm glad you had a great journey. I need to try that some day.

Ok just bring $40 for roundtrip fare. The scenery is very good as far as train rides go, especially when you get to buzzards bay.

Back