FPS Help

pogbellies

I am a little confused by some of the advice I've seen regarding stuttering;

• Some advice says not to use speedtrees, others say not to use billboard or spline trees?
  • Some of the theads state look for the worst buffer count, on my layout I have none over 30.

The tree types do seem to make a difference, some areas with scrub type splines suffer yet other similar splines do not. Speedtrees do also seem to have a negative effect.

Should I try a more basic track type (I currently use UK Bullhead)?
Would increasing my RAM from 3 to 4Gb make a difference given my ageing laptop cannot see any more (32 bit Vista).

i have areas where I am below 5 FPS which is unworkable. All advice gratefully received.

I am absolutely neutral on Speedtrees and Billboard trees performance wise. I use either or the other depending on the route and there is little if any perfomance gain or loss attributable to that particular difference.

Spline trees on the other hand can be an issue if used in large quantity. You will do much better with a forest of individual trees than with a forest having the same number of spline trees.

Hi Poly track can be a huge hit if you are in a yard or station with a lot of track being drawn close to the camera. Distant track isn't such a big hit IF the track is well-made with several LODs.

More RAM is always better than less RAM, but I doubt if it will boost your 5fps to anything like an acceptable result. The problem lies elsewhere....

On a blank baseboard, how many FPS are you getting ?

I found that some PRR Dwarf signals and high poly track also were severely impacting my framerates.

Some high poly railcars and locos were making my framerates absolutely crawl, but when they exited the view, the framerates rose again to normal.

I was using Greenery and RTS tracks, but have switched back to MPTrack Wood v2 by Philskene.

Last edited:
Can't get to my PC at the moment due to being in hospital but the thing is even on this layout I can in certain areas achieve 25+ fps, that is what I find so puzzling.

framerate is about how much content is being processed and rendered. You can easily get glassy smooth high fps on one part of a route and a stuttery slide-show just a short way down the track. Acceptable graphics is about getting a good balance between the route and the computer, there is no absolute 'fix' for every route on every computer, and a route that is a joy to behold on one computer could quite possibly be a visual disaster on another machine. You just gotta find what works for you on your 'puter...

I feel for those in the hospital, and that are experiencing physical difficulties ... please contact me via Forum PM, or on free Skype, and I will offer my help.

My best man had mulitple kidney stones 4 days before, and during, his wedding ceremony ... He was on so much pain that he barely could stand during the ceremony, and with the killer drugs he could barely remember his wedding ... they were big, multiple, kidney stones that had he to pass ... Owwwww !

Andy summed it up perfectly. As route builders we can go hog crazy putting in all kinds of details, some even many miles from the camera. The route will run perfect on our own machines then we'll get the idea of sharing our creation only to have the other users complain about the slide show. The thing is you need to plan what you are going to see and what is really necessary for the scene. Believe me, I've learned this the hard way too. Recently, I've started a new route which has nothing except the topo-map image on it where no one will see the landscape from the train or trackside. This planning, viewing, rechecking, and placing objects has actually been a lot of hard work. In many ways it's a lot easier to splatter down a bunch of trees, buildings and grass all over the place, within reason of course, and be done with an area then move on to the next.

As has been mentioned, there are also some kinds of assets that can be problematic, to say it nicely. Everyone loves extensive grassy fields, woods, and lots of fences. These splines, as have been mentioned, don't draw well on the computer. It's due to the way they're made. Over the years, I have avoided grass splines for this reason. There are some newer ones which render much better, but you need to test them. Put them on a route, and if you get choppy performance in that area, remove them. Lots of trees, especially now the older billboard/flip board trees can be problematic. This is due to how they are handled by the computer. If you have a slower CPU and are tight on RAM, you'll have problems with these due to them being processed mostly by the CPU before being displayed. They also now have rendering issues which, render them, pun not intended, rather useless. Having too many Speed Trees can be an issue as well, especially if you have a slow video card. These are rendered in the video memory by the GPU (not CPU) mostly, and if your video is slow, they can make things slower.

One of the things to keep in mind,is if you have slow performance in an area without any trains, then you'll surely have worse performance with the trains. Train cars generally have a lot more polygons for the very reason to make them look good. Let's face it you don't want triangular tank cars! These extra polygons take extra work, and will only add to the slowness of an already overloaded scene.

In closing it all boils down to compromising, and finding what looks good, but still achieves a decent performance.

You do have my sympathy. I've had those before myself a few times and have passed them successfully. My dad and grandfather weren't so lucky and required surgery.

John

On a blank baseboard, how many FPS are you getting ?

Some high poly railcars and locos were making my framerates absolutely crawl, but when they exited the view, the framerates rose again to normal.

I was using Greenery and RTS tracks, but have switched back to MPTrack Wood v2 by Philskene.

Blank baseboard:
In surveyor around 160 FPS.
With track and a loco 125 FPS.

in driver, external view 110 FPS, cab view 90 FPS.

loco used BR black 5 at high detail

My cheepo laptop builds routes great in TRS2006 in surveyor ...but as it is integrated graphics it won't even come close to running TS10, TS12, and gets @ 0.5 FPS or less

I downloaded some semaphores, and they reduce the framerates from 9 fps ending up with 6 fps, as do PRR CPL's ... So signals do affect framerates allot !

This is the 'cure' for low FPS... no pun intended, I am still making payments and I sacrified vacation and other expenses to buy this rig, seriously Trainz is a very demanding game (or I would say not really tuned for good performance). Fraps reports 60-70 FPS on heavy maps.

This is the 'cure' for low FPS... no pun intended, I am still making payments and I sacrified vacation and other expenses to buy this rig, seriously Trainz is a very demanding game (or I would say not really tuned for good performance). Fraps reports 60-70 FPS on heavy maps.

Congratulations on your new baby! :D

I made the plunge during the summer myself with the GTX780Ti. I too am still paying it off.

John

I downloaded some semaphores, and they reduce the framerates from 9 fps ending up with 6 fps, as do PRR CPL's ... So signals do affect framerates allot !

Be careful WHOSE stuff you download. Some of Seniorchief's signals have insane polycounts, as in tens or hundreds of thousands for each signal. These include his CPLs.

My cheepo laptop builds routes great in TRS2006 in surveyor ...but as it is integrated graphics it won't even come close to running TS10, TS12, and gets @ 0.5 FPS or less
Hi I'm a computer geek, fairly new to the forum, you mentioned something that caught my eye,,,,integrated graphics is absolutely the dumest idea around, I understand, know why they did it! But it's a huge disservice to the unknowing user when crossed with performance needs....that's why I believe in byovd (bring your own video card) if you cant,,,,,don't buy that Pc or motherboard, it will break your heart someday........too many modules integrated on PC mother board is a lame idea, if that part goes bad, what do you do? That's the gotcha,,,be surprised on how many folks R clueless to that keen detail of computers, both desktop and laptop.....best of luck my friend,,,,,,,

Back