BR 9F Evening Star

Been trying to do some research on this locomotive. I know that with it being the last steam engine built for BR it was given the name that was voted for by staff, and painted in Brunswick Green. Here is the bit that I'm having difficulty finding out. Did it stick to freight with it being a 9F or did it just do passenger work, or both?

...Did it stick to freight with it being a 9F or did it just do passenger work, or both?...

Both, here is an extract from the Wiki page:

"92220 was used over the Western Region and over the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway line. On 16 July 1962 and 18 July 1962 the locomotive was photographed at Gloucester Barnwood shed yard,[SUP][10][/SUP] and on 8 September 1962 it hauled the last Pines Express over S&DJR metals. It was recorded hauling passenger express trains at over 90 mph (140 km/h).[SUP][11][/SUP] 92220 was withdrawn in 1965, after a working life of only five years but was subsequently preserved as part of the National Collection. "

Evening Star

Been trying to do some research on this locomotive. I know that with it being the last steam engine built for BR it was given the name that was voted for by staff, and painted in Brunswick Green. Here is the bit that I'm having difficulty finding out. Did it stick to freight with it being a 9F or did it just do passenger work, or both?

Evening Star was used on a regular Milk run from near Old Oak Common to the West Country passing thru IVER at around 10.30pm at least
twice a week during 1958-60:)

Back