Donations for L&N 152

generalman

Renowned L&N Fanatic
Hello all,

**For a quick overview** The Kentucky Railway Museum owns and operates rail excursions on a part of the former Louisville & Nashville Railroad's Lebanon, Ky branch. Among their abundance of equipment is the L&N's 1905 4-6-2 'Pacific Type' #152. In September of 2011, this historic locomotive was withdrawn from service for a major overhaul.

As of now, it is unknown when the locomotive will be out of maintenance and back into operation. As of now, the museum is asking for donations to fund the project.

I figured this would be as good a place (that I am a member of) to inform the public on this funding, (further than it already has been).

To find out more about the project; how to donate; or any other questions, you can either access their website or their facebook page.

Thanks! :wave:

Last edited:
Below are my two favorite videos of the 152 on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGgHce9JhFk

This video is my favorite. It has in my opinion some of the best video editing done on YouTube. The author was lucky enough to visit the museum while the locomotive was wearing her original whistle, (other than her identical copy), so it has especially classic sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rQw5_HT-MA

This video is my second favorite. In this one the locomotive has its replica whistle, but still sounds generally the same.

Hope this helps raise a little more awareness.:)

Thanks! :wave:

It's a beautiful locomotive! Hopefully the museum will be able to get the donations it needs to run it again.

She really is, and she's my favorite over all. Off the top of my head, she is/was the oldest operable 4-6-2 in the U.S. She's also on the National Registry of Historical Places and is the state locomotive of Kentucky.
2528.1196125200.jpg

From what I've heard through recent discussion across the web, the restoration is not having a load of troubles finding money as it is the museum not finding enough labor. Maybe over the summer the labor intensity will increase and they can get more help.

Last edited:
I guess now is as good a time as any to do a little updating. The KRM has started a donations campaign to help raise money for the work on #152. Go to their donations page if you would like to help bring her back sooner as well. Thanks! :wave:

Crew 152

KRM has began a program/team know as "Crew 152". They're seeking out to the community for volunteer service beginning July 1st 2015 - July 1st 2017, for anyone who would like to help in the-(now referred to as)-restoration of 152. If you would like to help or gain more info, visit the Crew 152 page.

They are also still taking up donations for 152. They would like to raise an initial $60,000 before 2015 begins, so if you would still like to donate you can visit their donations page.

Thanks everyone! :wave:

**Edit: Also, make sure to check out the brochure.

Last edited:
Yup, definitely an Older Pacific.... You just don't see many Inside Frame Trailing Trucks! Or at least I haven't.

Falcus

I know for sure it's the oldest operable in the U.S., world maybe? Don't hold me to that one. 1905! She turns 110 next year!!! :)
**Little Bitta Info: I'd forgotten this but after reading the brochure it jogged my memory; for any of you who didn't know, 152 was one of the locomotives which pulled Theodore Roosevelt's campaign train. I also learned that she pulled the car containing Al Capone on his way to Alcatraz. She's been around the block! :hehe:

Last edited:
Crew 152 Updates

According to a recent Facebook post, the Kentucky Railway Museum has by now collected a sum of $14,874 in an effort to restore 152. Their initial goal was to raise $60,000 dollars by 2015, (which obviously didn't happen), but they still wish to attempt to reach that goal.

It is still hoped that they can begin restoration on July 1st, 2015, and (if all of the proper funding and labor is provided) she should be ready to roll again by July of 2017. Anyone willing to make a donation can drop in at their donations page.

Also, anyone who would like to be updated on the information about 152 via Facebook, can "like" the Crew 152 page.

Thank you all. :wave:

Last edited:
Builders photo taken by Rogers of 152's sister engine 151, as delivered to the L&N in 1905. Imagine this being "top of the line" at one time!
Note the different headlight, pilot, lead trucks, and original "Rogers" piston boxes before being modified by the L&N.
10345769_935457029812234_3589915035130308045_n.jpg

Photo shared on Facebook by Crew 152 and the L&N Historical Society.
Read the full article here.

Been a long time since I've updated this thread, but I wanted to share this link I found via Facebook.

http://csrail.org/newsroom/krm

The Kentucky Railway Museum has united with the Coalition for Sustainable Rail and their team of engineers, (who aided in restoring engines such as Southern 630 and 4501), in the restoration of 152. The two plan on working together to rebuild 152 to the safest and best quality which can be obtained.

Hello Trainz Community!

Although I am no longer Trainzing, it is a matter near and dear to my heart to see 152 breath fresh steam again, therefore I'll make this brief return to the community to share what little bit more knowledge I can. :hehe:

I know that many of you may not even know of her, but I recently came across this video and thought it would be worth sharing to get the information about her broadcast out as far as I possibly can. I ask that all of you share the information with your own railfan friends so that everyone possible can learn this great story.

Please enjoy the below video about this wonderful engine, her history, and what she means to the L&N community.

Thank y'all! :wave:

Last edited:
Back