A Kiwi Land heads up

bendorsey

Bridge-n-trestle builder
For those of you in New Zealand there is a beautiful set of scale plans in the March/April, 2014 issue of Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette of Climax No 1203 which was built in 1912 for the Potate Timber Company and later sold to the Pukaweka Sawmills, Ltd. It has been preserved and is at the Shantytown Historical Attraction. If my trusty scale ruler is still accurate (my eyes too, lol) its 42 inch gauge.

Ben

Hi Bill:

Thanks for the link. I took a peek. Looks like a great place to spend a day but I think its a bit to far for me to ride my motorcycle too, lol. Be nice if the Climax was operational. I don't think there is one anywhere. Shays yes - Climaxes and Heislers - no.

Hopefully some gent in Kiwi Land subscribes to NG&SLG and can make for ya'll. Definitely not a type of loco I would have thought would be in New Zealand (but what do I know, lol).

Ben

The Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad's Durbin Rocket is powered by a Climax and the Cass Scenic has a operating Heisler (last time I checked)

dispatch-3.jpg

price_v.jpg

Two examples of ODD NZ logging locomotives. The second is basically a Heisler, while the first is a type of Climax.

This one though...it begs to be built.
price_16w-2.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/nzgearedlocomotives/index.html

Back