Install on a new PC, how to transfer content.

pogbellies

I'm thinking of installing my TS10 onto a newer laptop which runs Win 7 64bit (I'm currently on Vista 32bit.)

How would I transfer content onto the newer machine, in particular the things that I have built or downloaded? Would the operating system change cause any problem?

Easiest way of doing it is copying the content Into a temporary folder and using Import Content in Content Manager. In terms of the operating system, as long as you run Trainz as administrator and don't install into Program Files or Program Files (x86) (install it into a folder like C:/ts2010), you shouldn't have any problems.

Shane

Easiest way of doing it is copying the content Into a temporary folder and using Import Content in Content Manager. In terms of the operating system, as long as you run Trainz as administrator and don't install into Program Files or Program Files (x86) (install it into a folder like C:/ts2010), you shouldn't have any problems.

Shane

Why are you advising against installing Trainz under Program Files or Program Files (x86)?

Also, where is the Content stored? I would like to back up the layout I created in Surveyor onto a Flash Drive.

Thanks.

Because Windows Vista and 7 have this nasty habit of applying restrictions to the Program Files folder. Since TRS2006 you don't browse for your content from Explorer, you export it as a CDP and save that.

Because Windows Vista and 7 have this nasty habit of applying restrictions to the Program Files folder. Since TRS2006 you don't browse for your content from Explorer, you export it as a CDP and save that.

What kinds of issues might be encountered with Trainz 12 installed into a Program Files folder? I am asking because I have installed Trainz 12 in my Programs 86x Folder because that was the default installation recommended by the software. I had a tough time installing the updates needed so I would not relish the thought of uninstalling and re-installing Trainz unless the benefits are worth the effort.

Also, please say a bit more about Exporting content, which I presume is your suggested method of external backup. Thanks

If you have already installed it in the Program Files folder and everything is running well, then it's fine. Sometimes problems arise because the user only had read-only access or installed into Program Files without administrator rights. Find your route in CMP and right click > save to CDP.

I had Trainz originally on a Win7 PC in the Program Files (x86) folder, no problems. Bought a Win8 PC. Did a clean install and it put it in the same folder. All I did was copy the UserData folder from the old PC and overwrote the UserData folder on the new PC and it worked fine. Simple as that. Has worked fine now for a couple of months.

Make sure you set the program properties to 'Run as Administrator' and you should have no problems.

the "content" that you need to transfer is the UserData folder. What I did (although with TS12) was to copy the Userdata folder from the old instalation to the new one, open content manager and do an extended database repair.

Back