NYC 20th Centrury Ltd; 'Pullman' vs 'NYC' cars

PerRock

Moderator - Read the CoC!
So I've been retouching magicland's NYC cars (the payware ones) and in my research have come across something I need some help understanding.

Some cars on the 20th Century Ltd. Say "Pullman" on the sides (and NYC small in the corners), almost all of magicland's do this. However in old photographs I see some with "New York Central" written down the sides. Now I know why some sa one or the other. But the baffling part is it seems some have changed names over the years. Why would this be?

For example, the refurbished 'Hickory Creek' Says "Pullman" on the sides to this day, however I've found photos of it from back in the day where it says "New York Central"
nyc-hickory-creek.jpg

4238798875_4384d863e1_b.jpg

Additionally is there any reasoning behind which cars were Pullman & which were NYC, like were all the Bridge Sleepers Pullman & the River Sleepers NYC? or is it just sort of random?

peter

Pullman was the operating company for Sleepers and many Dining cars until Dec 31, 1968.

From Wikipedia:

Operations of the Pullman Company sleeper cars ceased and all leases were terminated on December 31, 1968. On January 1, 1969, the Pullman Company was dissolved and all assets were liquidated. (The most visible result on many railroads, including Union Pacific, was that the Pullman name was removed from the letterboard of all Pullman-owned cars.) An auction of all Pullman remaining assets was held at the Pullman plant near Chicago in early 1970.

Wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pullman_Company

The NYC ordered all of their sleeping cars, Pullman and Budd with Pullman on the letterboards and a small New York Central in the corners. On the 1948 version of the train, all cars except for the diners and the RPO had Pullman on the letterboards. In 1950 (I think) the NYC started putting New York Central on the letterboards.
Also, for your retouching project, the observation, 10-6, 22 roomette, and the twin diners all had Budd counterparts with the same window arrangements that ran on NYC trains. The observations were assigned to the Southwestern Limited as long as they were lettered for Pullman. When they were lettered for the NYC, they ran on the 20th Century as backups and they were assigned to the pool, running on the Southwestern, Detroiter, the Ohio State Limited, and the Wolverine. The Budd diners were delivered in C&O paint, operated on the George Washington for a month, and then were sold to the NYC. There, they ran on the Detroiter, Ohio State Limited, and the Pacemaker. Furthermore, the diners from the Detroiter were sold to the B&O, and they ran on the Capitol Limited, Ambassador, and the Capitol/Ambassador/Colombian. The Pullman versions were sold to Amtrak in '71, as were the budd versions, observations and sleepers.

Last edited:
Back