Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

alantaylor61

I don't make routes as I am not good enough to even try, but love to run them and there are some amazing ones on the download station and I would like to say a big thank you to those who make them. But now for my Rant why do those who only think the can build a route clog up the download station with there rubbish were routes are just two lines across a board which will not load or has no point to it at all, to me a route is a start middle and a end with wonderful scenery for example take a look at GCR4 the detail is suburb. Rat over.

Ok.
1x1-pixel.png

I could name, names ... But poor routes are everywhere ... some are a golf course, 1 texture green, with switchs laid like a 14 y/o playing with a Brio wooden railway trainset, running Thomas the Tank engine, driven by anime drivers, through a Forest ... lol ... Just as YouTube is clogged thousands of nonsense videos of: "Look at my lovely baby, eating cheereos in a high chair, off his spitty fingertip".

Some ugly baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkadtxlCRU4

Breathtaking baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2sHZnMsc6M&list=PLC63BCF3C4F7E7ED1

Maybe the Dingo ate your baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghCTZF61ey0&list=RDUqO0-fwTsEc

Last edited:
if you don't like the routes, stop your complaining and make your own. It's what I did. It took me a solid to go from derailment central to the mega routes that I'm doing now. The person who says that they can not make a route has never tried. One or two attempts does not constitute trying. And for those routes you don't like, why not expanding on them. I'm currently doing this with two routes.

This rant is about as pointless as some of the routes you describe. Why not try to learn how to build your own route so you can build some of your own routes to run on? The only thing that limits what you can do is your imagination. I got some tips I can share with you as well.. While texturing, I prefer to hold down the [ or ] keys. What that does is take out some of the tiling of the ground textures. In some cases, you can mix textures together, its pretty easy really, it works for dirt textures. I'm not sure on gravel though. All you do is paint the ground with one dirt texture. That will be your base. Next, you pull out a second texture, then turn the radius all the way down (or like me, where 1 dot is still lit) and remembering to use the [ or ] keys to keep the tiling effect away, you just start randomly clicking. Try not to hold the mouse clicker down!!! (I've done that, it really sucks lol). You can do that for just about any texture, rock faces, grass, dirt, meadows, you name the texture, you can probably do it. If you add some grass, I would tell you to use the grass splines by tram__ off the DLS. They're great for almost any situation, plus they look awesome on embankments. You can mix those as well. All you do, is once again, lay one or two or more out side by side (Try to make them touch each other). This will be your base. You pick another grass spline, and hold down the shift key (This allows you to put splines inside another spline easier than it would if you didn't.) and then layout the next spline, try not to make them side-by-side. If you can, you'll want to kinda criss-cross them. You can possibly add a third one if it is fitting. The third one you do the same thing as the second one, only you can lay them out side-by-side again. For trees, I like to mix it up a little. You'll see that I sometimes use a mix of 3D and 2D trees (I use the CL trees off the DLS by clam1952 or pofig trees from millions of different packs in the 3rd party world.). For trees, a critical thing is keeping the repetition out. To do this, (I know this sound stupid), randomly create an area of a bunch of tree variants at different heights and different rotations. (If you want to make this faster, turn on randomly rotate objects in surveyor) Once done with that step, use the copy and paste tool to place the same area of trees faster. Since you created the random area of random trees, the tree groups will look less unified than if you did it yourself by hand. How about this, want a bigger city faster? Create a few city blocks, then copy and paste each block and randomly place them trying as hard as you can not to place a similar block to another similar block. For abandonment looking areas or some larger expanses that aren't maintained so well, I use some ultra-weeds. Since most people including myself visualize an abandoned or non-maintained area having weeds growing upon it, I naturally do it. Try to use a mixture of different weeds, copy and paste will also work for that. For old rickety track that isn't used or maintained that often, try to put some grass growing up through it. People's eyes will pop out on it. For mountains, most people think of them always being rocky and jagged, so they paint them in a rock texture. This is not always the case (Trust me, I live in an area where the mountains are covered in the same grass color as the valley.) You'll want to check with the area at which you're making to see if this is the case. Also if you're doing a general area that kinda has a large expanse of nothing, maybe a random farm/field will look great. That takes out some of blankness of parts of routes that don't have a lot in them. For creating terrain, I like to get a little advanced. I turn the radius up to the max, and the sensitivity down in between 1 dot lit and 2 dots lit. What this does, is cause the mountains/hills to be less steep. WARNING: It can sometimes take an eternity to make a decent looking mountain range. Always remember that the key to any of this, is your imagination, it will never look right if you don't interject a little bit of you in there. Everything starts with an idea first.

Don't forget that the routes your complaining about are some 6 year-olds pride and joy, and everyone has to start somewhere, and each route starts with one piece of track, even GCR4, I know it can be annoying but think of others and not just what you want.

Don't forget that the routes your complaining about are some 6 year-olds pride and joy, and everyone has to start somewhere, and each route starts with one piece of track, even GCR4, I know it can be annoying but think of others and not just what you want.

Now I know where win 8.1 came from.

Cheerio John

This rant is about as pointless as some of the routes you describe. Why not try to learn how to build your own route so you can build some of your own routes to run on? The only thing that limits what you can do is your imagination. I got some tips I can share with you as well.. While texturing, I prefer to hold down the [ or ] keys. What that does is take out some of the tiling of the ground textures. In some cases, you can mix textures together, its pretty easy really, it works for dirt textures. I'm not sure on gravel though. All you do is paint the ground with one dirt texture. That will be your base. Next, you pull out a second texture, then turn the radius all the way down (or like me, where 1 dot is still lit) and remembering to use the [ or ] keys to keep the tiling effect away, you just start randomly clicking. Try not to hold the mouse clicker down!!! (I've done that, it really sucks lol). You can do that for just about any texture, rock faces, grass, dirt, meadows, you name the texture, you can probably do it. If you add some grass, I would tell you to use the grass splines by tram__ off the DLS. They're great for almost any situation, plus they look awesome on embankments. You can mix those as well. All you do, is once again, lay one or two or more out side by side (Try to make them touch each other). This will be your base. You pick another grass spline, and hold down the shift key (This allows you to put splines inside another spline easier than it would if you didn't.) and then layout the next spline, try not to make them side-by-side. If you can, you'll want to kinda criss-cross them. You can possibly add a third one if it is fitting. The third one you do the same thing as the second one, only you can lay them out side-by-side again. For trees, I like to mix it up a little. You'll see that I sometimes use a mix of 3D and 2D trees (I use the CL trees off the DLS by clam1952 or pofig trees from millions of different packs in the 3rd party world.). For trees, a critical thing is keeping the repetition out. To do this, (I know this sound stupid), randomly create an area of a bunch of tree variants at different heights and different rotations. (If you want to make this faster, turn on randomly rotate objects in surveyor) Once done with that step, use the copy and paste tool to place the same area of trees faster. Since you created the random area of random trees, the tree groups will look less unified than if you did it yourself by hand. How about this, want a bigger city faster? Create a few city blocks, then copy and paste each block and randomly place them trying as hard as you can not to place a similar block to another similar block. For abandonment looking areas or some larger expanses that aren't maintained so well, I use some ultra-weeds. Since most people including myself visualize an abandoned or non-maintained area having weeds growing upon it, I naturally do it. Try to use a mixture of different weeds, copy and paste will also work for that. For old rickety track that isn't used or maintained that often, try to put some grass growing up through it. People's eyes will pop out on it. For mountains, most people think of them always being rocky and jagged, so they paint them in a rock texture. This is not always the case (Trust me, I live in an area where the mountains are covered in the same grass color as the valley.) You'll want to check with the area at which you're making to see if this is the case. Also if you're doing a general area that kinda has a large expanse of nothing, maybe a random farm/field will look great. That takes out some of blankness of parts of routes that don't have a lot in them. For creating terrain, I like to get a little advanced. I turn the radius up to the max, and the sensitivity down in between 1 dot lit and 2 dots lit. What this does, is cause the mountains/hills to be less steep. WARNING: It can sometimes take an eternity to make a decent looking mountain range. Always remember that the key to any of this, is your imagination, it will never look right if you don't interject a little bit of you in there. Everything starts with an idea first.

This is the most pointless post I have ever seen in 8 years of this forum.

Well done Enzo, you have a record that even FERRARI couldn't beat.

So if someone does not burn down some who is ranting but instead tries to help him with a long post, you consider it the most pointless post?
Your judgment is both interesting as scary ;) .

I do find it interesting, Blackwatch, that even if you found the post pointless, you nevertheless quoted the entire thing to underscore how much you disliked it. Classic!

So if someone does not burn down some who is ranting but instead tries to help him with a long post, you consider it the most pointless post?
Your judgment is both interesting as scary ;) .

Well said. :)

Seriously guys... Everyone starts somewhere; Everyone has rotten stuff and masterpieces. These routes surely must be from the kiddies giving things a try. I do wonder if maybe they are the result of the iPad and 'Droid tablet version too with people saving stuff up on the DLS.

The thing to remember is route building, if it is done the right way, it takes time and lots of time to be exact. Right now I am going gangbusters in spurts as I work on that Hoosac Tunnel route. I've been placing buildings, trees, roads, and more of the same for the past few weeks. I'm actually getting sick of the project and have taken a short break. This brings up another thing. While working on a route, start small and detail carefully and expand. When you feel you've had enough of the texturing, building placing, and tweaking, take a break and do something else. This helps restore the enthusiasm for the project and keeps the project in focus.

As I've said here and in many places in the forums, route building takes a lot of patience and lots of time to get it right. You need to be observant and take notes about what you see. If you like try sketching out a track plan and maybe some scenery. It doesn't have to be Rembrandt quality, but perhaps some pencil sketches, a storyboard, of a scene you'd like to reproduce. In fact the movie and animated 3d movie producers use storyboards all the time for the major scenes. The 'tween stuff gets blended in, but the main scenes and camera changes are represented in sketches. Experiment. Even take apart a route from one of the better route builders and see how they do it. That's what I did. I learned from George Fisher, Deremmy, and many others. The great thing with this hobby is there is no wasted materials. How many times have us real modelers put something together only to have it come out terrible? Seriously, after spending upwards of a $100 or more on track, turnouts, plaster, wood, spackling, and models, I had a layout section look like _____. I ended up ripping everything up and starting over while thinking about all the dollar bills being thrown away. At least here nothing is wasted material wise other than some electrons and my time.

Enzo has made some great points and has some great tips in there on route building. Give it a try, Alan even if your first result isn't to your satisfaction. Like everything else that takes effort, you have to keep working at it.

John

Well done Enzo, you have a record that even FERRARI couldn't beat.
I'm quite fascinated by how you consider this the most pointless post that you've ever seen in 8 years. Is this some kind of random thing pointed at me because you have something against me? If you do, I'm laughing right now! You could certainly do better than that! :hehe:

People seem to forget that on the internet, nobody cares about your opinion! If you don't believe me, go to 4chan or reddit. Good luck.

The mobile versions of Trainz are filled with extremely basic maps, I just ignore it and move on.

The most pointless post is the post no-one reads!

As they often say about the idiot box, If you don't like a program, turn it off!

Regards.
CaptEngland. (BTW, I have to put up with a Yorkshire lass, and sometimes she makes no sense as well!). :p

Tempted to reprise the suggestion that content should have some sort of rating system (even just a basic thumbs up, thumbs down choice) but even that is flawed, when Mr A.N. Archy who has uploaded his one tile route of nothing gets his mates to put 20 "+" ratings on there. Meanwhile BillyNoMates whose route rivals John Constable for artistic effort and Isambard himself for civil engineering gets no votes, because no one likes him.

Having been on the wrong end of adverse criticism of a freeware effort myself a few years ago, I was taken aback and very disheartened at the time. It was a couple of years before I felt up to doing anything again, but in retrospect the tough love did help me consider where I'd gone wrong and steps to improve future work. However, the offending piece wasn't just a bare blank board with a couple of bits of track and there should be a process to weed those out, or maybe put in some kind of "Beginners' Corner" on the DLS.

Good Morning All
First and foremost, we don't plan to prevent any members from uploading content that they have created, irrespective of how 'basic'/'simple' it is (how do you fairly decide where the 'cut-off' point is...). However, as most of the 'basic' routes are being uploaded from Mobile editions of Trainz, we are looking into ways of making them only visible to other mobile users. When this may occur, if at all, has not yet been confirmed.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back