Banking with AI

EverTrainz

Electric Blue
Recently, I found an issue with assisting trains up a grade. Basically, the AI schedule gets cancelled on either one of the trains as banker locomotives couple up to the train that needs pushed. So, I set a train of vans led by a Class 31 [Driver named John] to drive to a banker siding trackmark cleverly named "Banker Siding" and wait for 2 minutes. While John is waiting, a pair of Class 26 banker locomotives [Named Eric] couples up to the Brakevan of John. Now, the problem is, when Eric couples up to John, John's schedule is cancelled and Eric's commands are the only ones assigned to the consist of 2 Class 26's, 28 vans, and a Class 31.

What I want is John's schedule to be applied to both him AND Eric, and when having reached the summit, JOHN decouples from Eric (not vice-versa) and Eric continues his schedule and runs off into a siding while John continues on his journey. Is there any way that I could pull this off?

The simplest way to achieve what you want is using the "Move to loco" driver command, using a single driver and giving him the following orders:

Navigate to Banker Siding
Move to loco "Class 26 1"
Couple to "Van 28"
Move to loco "Class 31" (*)
Navigate to "Summit"
Wait for 30 seconds
Uncouplez from #29 (**)
Wait for 30 seconds
Navigate to "Final destination"

(*) This is not strictly required, but we all learned the AI loves going its own way :)
(**) Or substitute with your favourite "Decouple" command.

This sequence leaves the two Class 26 at the summit with no driver: you can place a driver on a stationary loco (which only serves as a "driver waiting room") and give him these orders:

Wait for trigger (you must place in the session layer a trigger that is activated by the Class 31 after the two Class 26 have been decoupled)
Navigate to "Bankers spur" (***)
Move to loco "Stationary loco"

(***) I suppose the banking locomotives wait for the trains on a short spur

The simplest way to achieve what you want is using the "Move to loco" driver command, using a single driver and giving him the following orders:

Navigate to Banker Siding
Couple to "Van 28"
Move to loco "Class 31" (*)
Navigate to "Summit"
Wait for 30 seconds
Uncouplez from #29 (**)
Wait for 30 seconds
Navigate to "Final destination"

(*) This is not strictly required, but we all learned the AI loves going its own way :)
(**) Or substitute with your favourite "Decouple" command.

This sequence leaves the two Class 26 at the summit with no driver: you can place a driver on a stationary loco (which only serves as a "driver waiting room") and give him these orders:

Wait for trigger (you must place in the session layer a trigger that is activated by the Class 31 after the two Class 26 have been decoupled)
Navigate to "Bankers spur" (***)
Move to loco "Stationary loco"

(***) I suppose the banking locomotives wait for the trains on a short spur

Thanks, sounds reliable! But does it require me to manually "Move to Loco" ? I want to run a fully automatic railway, since there will be around 50 other trains (quite a daunting task!) I want to watch. :hehe: But once again thanks!

Thanks, sounds reliable! But does it require me to manually "Move to Loco" ?

Absolutely not!

I usually use the command "MoveToLoco", <KUID:131986:1007> in my sessions. There are another two commands, i.e. "Move to train", <KUID2:71155:60004:1> and "Move To Train At Trackmark", <KUID2:57145:81110:1> which should perform the same task, but I never used them.

If you want that the bankers automatically repeat the cycle for several trains, I think you will need to add some rules to the session...

Absolutely not!

I usually use the command "MoveToLoco", <KUID:131986:1007> in my sessions. There are another two commands, i.e. "Move to train", <KUID2:71155:60004:1> and "Move To Train At Trackmark", <KUID2:57145:81110:1> which should perform the same task, but I never used them.

If you want that the bankers automatically repeat the cycle for several trains, I think you will need to add some rules to the session...

Wow, this should do the trick! But for instance, when John is in the Banker Siding, and in the Class 31, should I put "MoveToLoco Class 26 1" , then put "Couple BR Brakevan Bauxite 1" as the next command on John's schedule? Or do I have to add the commands on the driver-less Class 26's [impossible but somehow, someway]? I would test this myself, but I'm on a trip, without a computer... :(

This is what Ive always done for this situation. You will need the "post message" and "wait for message and clear" commands And the move to train at TM.
Place a short piece of invisible track nearby and put a driveable car on it and a TM (named spare 1). Place a TM over the summit where the bankers will uncouple (named summit) and one after the rear of the train (named summit rear). Also place a TM at start of the banker siding (named banker couple)

JOHN
Drive to TM (banker siding)
Move to train at TM (spare 1)
Post message (driver A and 1) Any driver can be used for this.
Wait for message and clear (driver B and 1) Use the same driver and number as used by Eric.
Move to train at TM (summit)

you can then continue with the rest of its journey.

ERIC
Wait for message and clear (driver A and 1). Use the same driver and number as used by John.
Couple at TM (banker couple)
Drive to TM (summit)
Uncouple
Move to train at TM (summit rear)
Post message (driver B and 1) Any driver can be used except the one used by John.

Drive to siding.

Move to train at TM will keep all the driver commands when the driver moves trains. Couple at TM means AI does not need to know the name of the wagon or engine it needs to couple to. The message commands can be used over and over again for doing the same job without other trains effecting them, set the banking operation up in the schedule library for repeated use. This means it can assist any length train that needs them.

Last edited:
EverTrainz;12574} since there will be around 50 other trains [/QUOTE said:
I hope you've got a powerful computer.
You will find you have to take control at some stages, with early and late running consists causing havoc with the commands.

I hope you've got a powerful computer.
You will find you have to take control at some stages, with early and late running consists causing havoc with the commands.

That's why I prefer the post message commands because they only operate when the train arrives. This means if train 2 arrived before train 1 the operation would still work and train 1 would then operate after train 2.

That's why I prefer the post message commands because they only operate when the train arrives. This means if train 2 arrived before train 1 the operation would still work and train 1 would then operate after train 2.

I've bookmarked your idea.
I have bankers uncoupling near a cross over, what I sometimes have to do is slow one of the approaching consists down so as to get the banker away in front of it to return to shed, refuel ready to run again.
I find it more interesting doing it semi manually using the schedule library plus keeping an eye on where the rest are and when to slip bankers.

Back