Making Model Railroadz

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS2012 - I'm ready to pull my hair out, if I had some left. I am trying to build a layout using the methods in the video from Hminky. I have the room, baseboard, and walls. I want to dig some holes, and then cover them with a spine surface followed by changing the height of the spline to achieve the floor look that Hminky does. I am unable to get the floor surface (spline surface) to drop no matter what I do. The floor (spline surface) stays at the same height as the baseboard. I have watched the video several times, varied the order of the steps involved, and had a stiff drink - I still can't get it to work. Is there a printed tutorial somewhere that I can't find, despite much searching? I must be missing something.

Tia

Willie

Hi Willie,

Make sure you are on the scenery items and splines tab. Click on the advanced pull-out (down?) and type in a minus value. You can then apply that value to the spline circles and that should drop the splines to the "floor".

John

Thanks John - it looks like that did the trick. If that was done in the video, I never saw it. Now if I can create or simulate a helix...

Willie

New asset for this collection:
Particle board 1, kuid:645812:97939​
Particle board texture, a.k.a. chipboard, makes it possible to "paint" the baseboard like it looks like when you just returned from the hardware store to start building your route.

I noticed nobody mentioned these older assets yet:
Backdrop Tidewater North 1, kuid:171456:21023
Backdrop Tidewater North 2, kuid:171456:21024
Backdrop Tidewater North 4, kuid:171456:21026
Backdrop Tidewater North 5, kuid:171456:21027
Backdrop Tidewater Northslope 1, kuid:171456:21028
Backdrop Tidewater Northslope 2, kuid:171456:21029
Backdrop Tidewater South 1, kuid:171456:21031
Backdrop Tidewater South 2, kuid:171456:21032
Backdrop Tidewater South 3, kuid:171456:21033
Backdrop Tidewater South 4, kuid:171456:21034
Backdrop Tidewater South 5, kuid:171456:21035​
I am sure many of the older trainzers are known with them as they are part of the Tidewater routes, but maybe the more recent users / model railroad builders don't know about them, so I figured I should list them here :).

Last edited:
New asset for this collection:
Particle board 1, kuid:645812:97939​

Funny that, here's one I made earlier.

C+ ST Chipboard 1,<kuid:243828:100074>

Great minds think alike !

These are different textures and Oknotsen's version is slightly darker than mine (national preference :) ?).

Chris

national preference?
I made a few based on some textures I found on the web and decided only to upload the one that looked closest to the board I used to have upstairs. Most textures I found looked good on the web but way to bright in game for my liking. Then again the one I had (and used as reference) might have gotten a bit darker / dirty due to heavy usage :hehe:.

Have you seen my table, chair, bookcases, cupboards, shelves, workbench - and mugs (empty, half-full and full)? Look for names beginning "DDD MR ..." on the Download Station.

And I'm already thinking of a computer.

Ray (KUID 275817)

Thanks Ray!

there are no pieces of content available to represent the various components needed to operate a layout equipped with DCC.
You mean something like control boxes and transformers?
Like this?
controls_1.jpg

That one (modelled after the pre-digital controls of Märklin) is on the DLS and I am going to upload a version without the grey base in a few minutes.
Transformers and controls, model railroad, kuid2:645812:97905:2

As for all your other suggestions: What is stopping you from starting Blender, build, and share :) ? Looking forward to your creations!

I do have Gimp. I'm just now figuring out how to reskin. I can reskin magicland's passenger cars, but that's as far as I've gotten. I'm not yet ready to start reskinning locomotives. I'm trying to do baby steps first. Once I master reskinning, then I might consider making my own content.

Note: Also, I'm a hands on type of person, and I need to be shown in person how to do something, as I have a hard time understanding something via YouTube or via instructions. Also, I do not have access to the drawings needed to make content such as locomotives or rolling stock. Plus I do not know of anyone in the area that I live that has experience with Blender.

Just a not on the reskinning, take my favorite program, Paint.NET, out for a spin. It has an easy interface, simple controls, and makes reskinning a breeze!

I created what hopefully becomes a successful standard for "modules for Model Railroadz". See more details here.

Here is a related example which shows both the recently uploaded "Particle board 1" texture (kuid:645812:97939) and a new asset to create a hall for a Model Railroadz modules display, "HUGE hall (floor and pillars) 1" (kuid:645812:97938):
m120_loop_west03.jpg

The "hall" asset covers 1 baseboard floor with pillars in the corners. The wall in the screenshot was already available ("HUGE wall brick grey", kuid:645812:97930). The "table legs" are "Marsz-I (TRY) EL Support v07" (kuid:58223:10064).

Imagine building a route and displaying it to the public. Hours of hard work people should look at, but not touch. Now you can tell them with 2 signs:

1: HUGE sign dont touch 1, kuid:645812:97941
2: HUGE sign dont touch 2, kuid:645812:97942
1:
sign_dont_touch1.jpg
and 2:
sign_dont_touch2.jpg

The first looks more like a print on a piece of paper and the second like a sticker. Both signs are 8m high, so they nicely fit the "Wall 10m dark stone" (kuid:283805:37923) or similar assets.

I've looked over the forums for these damn Layout Fascia Black Curtain and just can't find it anywhere. Can someone please help me before I go insane pulling my hair out, please :)

I've looked over the forums for these damn Layout Fascia Black Curtain and just can't find it anywhere. Can someone please help me before I go insane pulling my hair out, please :)

Welcome to the forums.

The stuff is available on the Download Station (DLS).

Please edit your post and remove the swear... It's not acceptable in these forums.

John

If anyone is interested in looking at a 14 minute video of the Model Railroad at the Penton Museum, here is the link ... http://trainfanatics.com/this-model-railway-is-a-time-machine/ - I found it on the "I love Trains" Facebook site, which I subscribe to.

Of course it's an English village countryside, 1930s time frame, GWR, LSWR, "The Vale of White Horse", old English thatched-roof cottages, hedges, dry stone walls, well laid out, plenty of ideas for modellers, or for those wanting to get a good mix of textures for Trainz.

Sit back and enjoy it guys, I did. Cheers,
Roy3b3

That was a neat video I got myself a cup of tea and sat down to watch and
I enjoyed watching I need to find some more of those
Thank You
Chris Sullivan

You're welcome.
I find these quite stimulating for my mind because it helps to create new ideas when you are trying to decide how to plan or finish off a layout. When you see what other people have created, you can see what you have missed.

I just downloaded Phil's "TANE - IntenCity" route today with 3 sessions. This guy has it all together, totally detailed, a route that is challenging and will keep you interested for hours. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Roy3b3

...I just downloaded Phil's "TANE - IntenCity" route today with 3 sessions. This guy has it all together, totally detailed, a route that is challenging and will keep you interested for hours. Enjoy!...
I'll vouch for that! The IntenCity route is exceptional.

A few model railway assets on the way to the DLS - Complete walls (to enclose the whole baseboard) in single baseboard and double baseboard sizes, a tiled floor (single baseboard sized) and some digholes.

The walls and floor are scaled for OO/HO (4mm - 1ft), the walls are in grey block work and the floor is brown tiles but you may re-skin and release versions with other textures and sizes - see details in the asset licenses.

Other assets to follow.

Edit:

Also uploaded are:

A door so that you can get out of the room, should you want to.
A spline - wood panelling. Scenery (fixed sized) versions to follow.
A Scale ruler object - The first one is in 'N', other scales will be added.

My thanks to 'Hack' for the testing and comments on the ruler asset.

Second Edit:

A scenery version of the baseboard edging (fixed length 720 m = 1 baseboard) has been uploaded together with a minor cosmetic fix to the spline version so they both match. The scenery version will be better in the use of computer system resources, so use this where you can.

Third Edit:

Uploaded in March were the following model railway assets,

The first are 6 (mainly Swiss) railway & tram pictures for you railway room walls.

C+ MR PIC Narrow Tram Picture,<kuid:243828:100314>
C+ MR PIC Train on Mountain Top Picture,<kuid:243828:100313>
C+ MR PIC Blue Train in Snow Picture,<kuid:243828:100312>
C+ MR PIC Pink Pig Picture,<kuid:243828:100311>
C+ MR PIC 3 Tuns Picture,<kuid:243828:100310> This is my local pub - I'm in the picture !
C+ MR PIC Dawlish Picture,<kuid:243828:100308> An old picture, taken near the spot where the sea wall and track washed away this winter.

A full baseboard sized railway room floor - wood planks (with normal map).

C+ MR BBF Wood Planks 1,<kuid:243828:100274>

A series of matching block walling assets to create railway rooms of various sizes.

C+ MR 1BB 2W Corner Grey Block 1,<kuid:243828:100261>
C+ MR 1BB 1W Grey Block 1,<kuid:243828:100260>
C+ MR 1BB 2W Parallel Grey Block 1,<kuid:243828:100259>
C+ MR 1BB 3W Grey Block 1,<kuid:243828:100258>

Thanks for the wood planks Itareus. Finding stairs to come up to a loft is a bit more tricky. ie stairs that would come through your wood planks.

Thanks for the wood planks Itareus. Finding stairs to come up to a loft is a bit more tricky. ie stairs that would come through your wood planks.
Sorry, I'm very slow responding to posts here due to being very busy with other things !

You could use digholes for the gap in the floor - there are a good few on the dls and some made by me but they are dead simpe to make, just a config file.

Cheers

Chris

Sorry, I'm very slow responding to posts here due to being very busy with other things !

You could use digholes for the gap in the floor - there are a good few on the dls and some made by me but they are dead simpe to make, just a config file.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris
Trying to send you a PM. Cant do it for some reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back