"BUGOR THIS!"

butler57

N3V what's the go here, another load of assets from BUGOR this time almost 2000?
Is there anything that can be done to limit such a massive amount of uploads at once onto the DLS?
Even my biggest route only has around 2000 assets and mainly are already on the DLS.

I noticed that also...he uses the same picture and the same description for all those assets; he just changes the filename. The number of bytes in each asset is amazingly the same, too. Something the boys should take a peek at...:eek:

The problem is that if the assets are indeed clones, only the asset's original creator can ask N3V to remove them. If they are not clones, it may be quicker to contact Helpdesk to get it sorted.

Shane

Seems to me the answer to massive asset dumps on the DLS is fairly simple, though I don't know enough to know if it is feasible. If N3V doesn't want to police the DLS to ensure common courtesy but retain the limit of a search to 1000 responses a new search parameter could be added for the use of those who want to use the DLS to find new assets. As it is it is possible to limit a search to a certain creator. Why not make it possible to insert a parameter that would exclude a certain creator. So, if Bugor wants to upload thousands of fixed track assets (is that what they are? I'm afraid to download one to see.) all one has to do is to enter something like "not Bugor" with the username parameter selected. Is it possible to use CM to search the DLS by date of upload? If it were it would be possible to do that now.

Bernie

Last edited:
It is so obvious and blatant why do the N3V customers have to be involved in this? The DLC is the heart of the product. It is dismaying that the vendor ignores the quality of items posted there. If I were to use foul language on here they mysteriously pay attention to that.

Limit the number of uploads per day. Unless it's part of a route or session obviously.

Such situations require the persons handling to take a step back, analyze the circumstances as a whole and put a big of logic and common sense to work.

There is no way such a large amount of uploads by a dubious or unknown person in such a short time frame can ever be justified. Want proof? Look in the files. It's rubbish/nonsense/devoid of actual content. Could be michief, spam or something more devious. It is anything but legitimate. Why would N3V need to contact...no scratch that, need to WAIT for the content creator to contact them? "Oh it's got his name on the asset so he/she should contact us to take them down."

Such a stance reeks of laziness, utter incompetence and/or sheer ignorance.

The DLS as aforementioned is a central and very important part of Trainz. Such uploads should be removed immediately because it compromises the effectiveness of the service. (YES, it is a service and there are a lot of paying users.) Users get fed up sifting through thousands of nonsense assets, uploaders find their creations drowned amidst the same barrage of spam. There should be no question about legitimacy or copyrights, any person with an ounce of brain will look at this situation and straightaway tell this should not be happening and since it is, must be stopped right away.

It is a bloody joke that this has been allowed to happen several times and have not been rectified / offending uploads deleted en masse.

Nicholas

Last edited:
Hi Nicholas and others who have posted,

IMHO the solutions suggested that would involve N3V assuming responsibility for policing the DLS are elegant, maybe ideal, but I don't think they are workable. There are several reasons for this.

1. N3V is largely incapable to supply responses to requests to the help desk as it is. Where are they going to get the money and manpower to monitor what is going on on the DLS?

2. In the US, at least, persons who supply services like the DLS are free from potential liability if things are posted that violate applicable laws or do harm to other parties. This privilege only applies, however, if the provider does not undertake to approve things that are uploaded beyond a minimal level, such as determining that the uploaded material is within the limits of the service provided. If N3V were to try to go beyond benign neglect that privilege might be lost, opening a whole can of worms. I don't think this is something N3V wants to risk.

3. The standards suggested by which N3V would determine whether uploads were worthy of remaining on the DLS are normative, not positive. This could lead to a lot of unrest among the persons the policing of the DLS would be designed to help because normative standards are inherently subject to multiple interpretations.

I still think the solution is to give the good faith users a tool to cull the junk out. Once done the problem would be solved and no new undertakings by N3V would be required.

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

I should clarify; I'm not calling for a new "DLS Po-Po" or any new standards or policies be introduced. I am just saying such cases should be handled on a case-by-case basis. The DLS is basically a file server. Any server operator worth his salt should know a thing or two about file management. Heck, even amateur Trainzers will know how to do this: FILTER: USER: KRASH01 USER: BUGOR LOCATION: DLS > SELECT ALL > DELETE. DONE.

This isn't an odd case of some Russian douchebag uploading payware. For such cases the framework is already present; payware creator contacts N3V, N3V removes it, simple. In the above case we do not need anyone to contact N3V and kindly ask if they can please delete a few thousand annoying identical spam assets. That is just stupid.

I went through the verifying exercise over the Christmas holiday. It was not an easy task and took me about 4, 12-hour days to pick through the garbage. In the end, I was able to weed out some actual offences and I notified the authors. Of the author's Mr. Pofig is the only one that contacted me regarding my finding and I referred him to the Helpdesk for resolution. Not to sound like a spoil sport, I am not going through this exercise again. I don't work for N3V and don't get paid by them. This was confusing and quite overpowering for one person. It required downloading the potential violated content and viewing config files, which became a long arduous project.

I do have a feeling though there is no mal-intention here and is more for those Russian route builders who are working on multiplayer routes which require content to be on the DLS. The problem is they have figured out the way around the respective safeguard of the author KUID system by simply modifying the config.txt files. Regarding copyrights and IP rights, this is not something that is part of their culture it seems, and is something that N3V needs to look at seriously. I'm not faulting the former Eastern Block countries, the people there, or their culture, I feel that the people in charge, meaning N3V need to do the part on their end to ensure that everyone plays on an even ball field. The thing is we can only do our part and report what we find. It is up to N3V to look at this seriously and right now with their eyeballs glued to TANE, I don't think this will happen anytime soon. They don't have the resources to spend on both.

And...

To add insult to injury, Zubikk is now obsoleting content with his own KUID. Whether he did this as part of the content repairing process, I'm not sure. Yesterday I got updates for some PRR phone boxes with his name attached. These were updates to ones that were created by someone else who I can't remember right now.

Swell...

John

I don't care if it is there culture or not. They are using the DLS as if they owned it. It's not like they want to share with the rest of the world. This group of people are just concerned about themselves. The rest of us have to just put up with it. I'm sure all Russian people are not like this. We have a few Russians in my home town. I'd like to tell ya I met some nice ones. I'm not going to lie to ya.

Cheers...Rick

BUGOR is me. And most of my 2000 assets is different swithes. I have never created some spam or other production, all of that assets is just mine creatins. yeah, most of them is swithes, and you can download just library and some of that assets, and you will see. Look, I'm from Russia, and here we like meticulous building of routes and other assets. Every of 2000 swithes assets is different, and I can't understand, what is the problem here can be? All is legal, all is mine, what's wrong?

BUGOR is me. And most of my 2000 assets is different swithes. I have never created some spam or other production, all of that assets is just mine creatins. yeah, most of them is swithes, and you can download just library and some of that assets, and you will see. Look, I'm from Russia, and here we like meticulous building of routes and other assets. Every of 2000 swithes assets is different, and I can't understand, what is the problem here can be? All is legal, all is mine, what's wrong?
I guess what's wrong is that you create problems by uploading so many individual items. Maybe you could collect them all into a few packages and then upload the packages.

I can explain you this situation. That assets, what was uploaded now was uploaded not by me. That was uploaded by my friend, just because of I have no Trainz here at now. But he needs that swithes for a multiplayer route. And any time later, I have amended ALL OF THAT swithes. Ok, if problem just in the number of assets, what I've uploaded at once — I will never do the same again. I will cut it on any packages and upload by parts. Any problems again?

PS: Sorry for my poor English

Thank you for entering the 'lion's den' BUGOR; even though it is hard to explain how you could have 2000 different types of switches. Something to consider, however, when uploading assets to the DLS use a picture and description of EACH ACTUAL ASSET you are uploading. Don't use a picture and description that doesn't pertain to that exact asset. That would be like uploading a boxcar and giving it a picture and description of a gondola. Yours used the same picture and same description of each and every asset, which tends to lead you to believe that this is 'spamming'. As John said above, downloading and going through each asset's config file to see if it is authentic is a time-consuming and tedious task. Thank you, though, for posting your explanation.

I have 2000 assets of swithes, because I have at now 2 types of sizes (sorry, don't know this technical language, that means — 1/9 and 1/11 swithes), every of that short and long, every of that on wood and cocrete sleepers, two positions of levers (left/right), two directions of swithes and EVERYTHING OF THAT have 15 different textures. So, u can consider now. Unfortunaly, in Trainz I'm just a 3d-modeller (creating of this tracks, like swithes, and different easy or not assets for my real route) and route-builder. My route have 758 km and it's not the end. There I have smth about 6000 depend assets. But I don't upload my route on DLS, cause most of that assets are not there. And I can't write scriptes and because of this I couldn't create changes of types swithes in properties.
BTW, this is the one of the reasons, why almost all russian guys didn't vote for the swithes in TANE, cause we have it already, but in different objects.

What about different pictures, you know, that so hard to create separate picture for every swithe, and I even cound't imagine, that here can be a problem. And about same sizes of config's — that's easy: meshes of swethes in library, and the contrast of swithes will be in names of links for meshes. Now I have real problem — my library is unreal large, and now I'm working on the division this large library on some small. And the last: this is not the end, cause I gonna to create 1/6, 1/18 and 1/22 swithes. But u can be sure, that all of mine assets is absolutely legal.

Last edited:
Could you simply change the title or description? Perhaps post a thread in, say, the Freeware section about your content might help so others know what the variations mean? BTW, I think a lot of people appreciate the attention to detail that your content and that of your fellow Russian Trainzers show in their work. I sure do! :)

Does "1/9" and "1/11" refer to the sharpness of turn or curve of a switch turnout?

Can u show me — what is freeware section? I am here so rarely, u can see it on my number of posts, and I don't know it. BTW, names are really different, but it's coding and I can show u, what does it mean, if u will interested on it. U see, our gauge is 1520, but not 1435, and it's so especially swithes, so u will hardly like it. But if u will like it — I will like it more, and I'll show you every my refreshing.

Ohh, what about 1/9 and 1/11, this number is tangens or angle. You have the same designation, aren't u?
This is:

[/

Back