Competitive Route Building Registration

Quick question re: the board limit. Is it no more than 15 boards with track on or 15 boards as an absolute total?

JB

Another question that wasn't answered was is it 15 boards total or 15 boards excluding ones with portals and no scenery?

Matt

Hi all,

Sorry I've been neglecting you guys, but I've been busy - I've just sat through 3hrs of General Studies (tinpot subject :() and I'm working towards the real exams I've got left (I'm about half way through).

Anyway - The 15 board limit is a limit but not a target, so you can enter fewer if desired. I think if we said 15 boards containing scenary is fairest, meaning it is possible to have a seperate board containing portals or a Trainz equivalent of the casette used in model railways. The disadvantage is that they are difficult to hide so well.

Good luck,
BidMod :)

Thanks BidMod. I've been busy so I'm gonna cut my route down a bit. Oh, something else. I have the UKTS Britomart and would like to use it in the session. However you can only get by registration to the site. Am I still allowed to use it? Also the download queues can be quite long...

Matt

Oh, something else. I have the UKTS Britomart and would like to use it in the session. However you can only get by registration to the site. Am I still allowed to use it? Also the download queues can be quite long...

Matt

I'm not a fan of UKTS, but I can see why people use the site and I would allow it since it's within the rules (on a technicality) - however be warned that many people (myself included I'm afraid) won't have the patience to get things from sites which require registration. If there is an alternative, this is probably better.

One final thing from me for now - Some people have asked whether they can judge - the results will be from an open poll, so no judges unless there is a tie (we'll cross that bridge when we come to it).

BidMod.

Right I've taken out the Britomart. It'll probably be included in another session released not part of the comp. Thanks BidMod. I'll go tend to the route now...

Matt

Hi all,

Sorry I've been neglecting you guys, but I've been busy - I've just sat through 3hrs of General Studies (tinpot subject :() and I'm working towards the real exams I've got left (I'm about half way through).

Anyway - The 15 board limit is a limit but not a target, so you can enter fewer if desired. I think if we said 15 boards containing scenary is fairest, meaning it is possible to have a seperate board containing portals or a Trainz equivalent of the casette used in model railways. The disadvantage is that they are difficult to hide so well.

Good luck,
BidMod :)

Now this is getting silly
(a) it was stated that no more than 15 boards
now you say extra boards that are not part of the layout like a staging area is ok,
So if I put up a 15 board populated route with a 25 board staging area that would also be OK :confused:
You say that it would look silly because you cant hide the staging area from the route, thats wrong you can
I have one thats only 5 boards but has a staging area that runs on auto thats 25 boards away from the route, and no way can you see this from the route, this is none by using portals on and off the route and staging area, the 25 boards hold 16 different consists in each direction 32 consists in total that circulate the route according to a time table
IT WORKS

(b) It was stated no published routes, well there is not much difference in the published 'Yard switching Route" and the so called new ' Port Switching Route' so what percentage on newness is required I have a nice one on the DLS I could use, just change a couple of industys and the name of the stations, move a few houses around and presto, a new layout

Seems at the moment each time someone else wants to join the goal posts get moved to accomadate them

so lets have a set of rules published and aftrewards no changes

Kelly88 has a point there. Maybe if we just stuck to the rule published at the START of the thread then it would be better. If people are rereleasing a route that is slightly changed it is putting people like me at a disadvantage because we have not published a route and the published routes have had alot of work put behind them the first time!

@philskene, is your new route different to the Yard Switching route or is it the same layout that has been changed slightly? This isn't ment to be nasty it is just a question raised by Kelly88.

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Kelly88 --

" ... well there is not much difference in the published 'Yard switching Route" and the so called new ' Port Switching Route' ... "

Hmmm. That's quite an assertion!!! For starters one runs east-west and the other runs north-south. And we all know that base boards can't be rotated, don't we?

Yes, they are both industry based, use a similar tool kit of assets, are highly interactive, involve a short line provider and small in size (and hey, I also hope that they are entertaining); but I sincerely hope that you will change your mind when you compare both routes.

Phil

Edit: And yes, let's keep to the original published rules.

Last edited:
Ok, Well I am going to give it ago, but I am still working on my old route that I have been building for several years ;) This might be a nice diversion. haha....

Ok I have already gone over the 15 board limit. I have added 2 extra boards for portals and Iportal. If that disqualifies me then so be it. :)

I have built a few layouts/routes with less than 15 boards, but those days a numbered:cool: (evil Grin)

My route will be called Sandy Creek to Bongo Creek. It will be a Aussie theme and only include inbuilt assets.... ( I think )

Regards

Last edited:
Hi Kelly88 --

" ... well there is not much difference in the published 'Yard switching Route" and the so called new ' Port Switching Route' ... "

Hmmm. That's quite an assertion!!! For starters one runs east-west and the other runs north-south. And we all know that base boards can't be rotated, don't we?

Yes, they are both industry based, use a similar tool kit of assets, are highly interactive, involve a short line provider and small in size (and hey, I also hope that they are entertaining); but I sincerely hope that you will change your mind when you compare both routes.

Phil

Edit: And yes, let's keep to the original published rules.

Hi Phil
For me your route doent cause any problems , I have your Yard Switching Route and find it very good, it was just that in 1 post you say count me in, and in the same breath say its finished and uploaded,, I had a quick look at your pics and track plan, and realy did not see much difference between the 2, but then again I never put them side by side, maybe I just jumped a bit too quick here, sorry for that, but I was a bit perturbed about the constant changes to the rules, some by Bitmod and 1 in particule by Auran ( open theam) but then they are putting up the prize so to this end maybe they have the right; but origianly this was a UK layout, and there is another comp going for American/Austrailian style ?
Mybe I could also do American /Austrailian ( there is more rolling stock/loco available ) but the problem is I know nothing about your side of the World, signals and so forth, I tried once or twice along this line but they never seemed to look right; still thats life;I say American/Austrailian because the layout looks USA Style to me more than Aussi even thou you come from down under

anyway good luck
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Bidmod,

Just want to check you received my e-mail asking for my name to be put down :) I know we all have lives outside of this place so no worries if you just haven't got round to it, just thought i'd check.

Cheers,

JB (who agrees we should just keep the rules as they are. It might even be worth editing your original post so that there's only one set of rules in there)

Hi all,

JB - I got your email, and have added you to the list, along with the other people who I've overlooked. These are the most important exams I've sat to date, and I hope people understand that they'll always take priority over TRS, hence the slightly scatter-brained approach :eek:.

Now this is getting silly
(a) it was stated that no more than 15 boards
now you say extra boards that are not part of the layout like a staging area is ok,
So if I put up a 15 board populated route with a 25 board staging area that would also be OK :confused:
You say that it would look silly because you cant hide the staging area from the route, thats wrong you can
I have one thats only 5 boards but has a staging area that runs on auto thats 25 boards away from the route, and no way can you see this from the route, this is none by using portals on and off the route and staging area, the 25 boards hold 16 different consists in each direction 32 consists in total that circulate the route according to a time table
IT WORKS

(b) It was stated no published routes, well there is not much difference in the published 'Yard switching Route" and the so called new ' Port Switching Route' so what percentage on newness is required I have a nice one on the DLS I could use, just change a couple of industys and the name of the stations, move a few houses around and presto, a new layout

Seems at the moment each time someone else wants to join the goal posts get moved to accomadate them

so lets have a set of rules published and aftrewards no changes

I think this isn't a fault with the rules as such, more a difference in interpretation. Perhaps if we allowed a maximum number of staging boards (I have two boards in mind), you'd agree on this? I know we're again moving the posts (I've already apologised for this earlier), and I did create a thread previous to try and establish a working set of rules. It got overlooked, but people were still interested in the competition, and it is only now that people are exploring the limits of the rules and how they can be adapated to create a good route. Certainly, when "staging area" was posted, I only envisaged a board at each end to contain a portal or casette.

However I have to accept that you (and the others who've pointed this out) are right that the rules shouldn't change - even if we're only actually debating two aspects.

As for the percentage of newness - What the rules already show is that all work must be your own, so you can't take a route by someone else and change a few things (or even many things) then brand it as your own (the original creator wouldn't like this anyway). The problem is that a "newness percentage" is actually very difficult to gauge. We can't just say "it's a bit similar so we won't allow it", but at the same time we can't allow entries that are based heavily on another route. I think this is where rule #16 (use some common sense) kicks in - if you feel the work is a redevelopment of route, don't enter it, and if someone else does then don't vote for it. I'd happily accept defeat on this point if anyone can quantify newness, but it's tricky.

All the best,
BidMod.

Hi all,

JB - I got your email, and have added you to the list, along with the other people who I've overlooked. These are the most important exams I've sat to date, and I hope people understand that they'll always take priority over TRS, hence the slightly scatter-brained approach :eek:.

I think this isn't a fault with the rules as such, more a difference in interpretation. Perhaps if we allowed a maximum number of staging boards (I have two boards in mind), you'd agree on this? I know we're again moving the posts (I've already apologised for this earlier), and I did create a thread previous to try and establish a working set of rules. It got overlooked, but people were still interested in the competition, and it is only now that people are exploring the limits of the rules and how they can be adapated to create a good route. Certainly, when "staging area" was posted, I only envisaged a board at each end to contain a portal or casette.

However I have to accept that you (and the others who've pointed this out) are right that the rules shouldn't change - even if we're only actually debating two aspects.

As for the percentage of newness - What the rules already show is that all work must be your own, so you can't take a route by someone else and change a few things (or even many things) then brand it as your own (the original creator wouldn't like this anyway). The problem is that a "newness percentage" is actually very difficult to gauge. We can't just say "it's a bit similar so we won't allow it", but at the same time we can't allow entries that are based heavily on another route. I think this is where rule #16 (use some common sense) kicks in - if you feel the work is a redevelopment of route, don't enter it, and if someone else does then don't vote for it. I'd happily accept defeat on this point if anyone can quantify newness, but it's tricky.

All the best,
BidMod.

You are still running round the issue
Is it to be 15 boards including the stageing area
OR 15 boards for the route + 2 for staging
making 17 boards
now if its the 17 option does that mean if someone makes a route of 10 boards can he then use the other 7 for staging

now me I have tried hard to make a good route on 15 boards this includes the ports at each end hidden in tunnels and 2 extra boars would have been nice, but at the time the option did not exist; infact as far as I can see still does not exist

For me it should be 15 boards maximum END OF STORY , use them as you wish but not pass that point

as for the Switching route I have not looked any more at this let him put it in others will desided if it qualifys or not in the vote ( or let Alan make the desision )

OK so I dug out the 2 routes Yards Switching/Port Switching and set the maps (Track Plans ) up togeather
For me its a diffrent route ; the general layout is much the same with different industrys and changes to track and scenery
but the changes are big enough to warant calling it a new route
so for me I am happy for him that he could produce a route so quick and get it up on the DLS ( maybe Alan can get him a job at Auran, productivity would double)

anyway for me this question is closed ( sorry to the man for looking at him sideways but good luck )

rgds
mike

Last edited:
Back