Reskinning Question

dej

DL Engineer
Hi Everyone,
I have a question pertaining to reskinning locomotives, particularly the newer JR stuff. Can anyone help me understand how to draw my own textures out? Also if you have any tutorials for this I'd appreciate it. I'd also like to know if anyone could point me to some that I could reskin for release.
Thanks In Advanced!

Hi Everyone,
I have a question pertaining to reskinning locomotives, particularly the newer JR stuff. Can anyone help me understand how to draw my own textures out? Also if you have any tutorials for this I'd appreciate it. I'd also like to know if anyone could point me to some that I could reskin for release.
Thanks In Advanced!

There is a tutorial on reskinning here:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Tutorial_for_Reskinnng_a_Locomotive_using_Paint.Net

For information about creating the actual images you are best to enquire at a place that supports your chosen graphics editing program. The process involved in creating a good image is the same whatever the purpose, but is very closely related to the facilities provided in your image editing software.

There is a tutorial on reskinning here:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Tutorial_for_Reskinnng_a_Locomotive_using_Paint.Net

For information about creating the actual images you are best to enquire at a place that supports your chosen graphics editing program. The process involved in creating a good image is the same whatever the purpose, but is very closely related to the facilities provided in your image editing software.

I forgot to add that I can reskin older JR content and signs and things. I choose to use Gimp. So in short I understand reskinnning.

Paint.NET is easy to use. I've used it for about a year and a half now, for both Minecraft re-textures, and retexturing trains for Trainz. It's not hard to use, and is very simple. It's like a free version of Paint Shop Pro, just stripped of some features here and there.

Hi Everyone,
Thanks In Advanced!
I will warn you in advance that reskinning JR content is a gray area. Specifically, since it's payware, you cannot redistribute reskins in any matter to my knowledge, even if free.
With that out of the way, the best program I found for doing it is Adobe Illustrator CS6 (for vectoring/tracing the base of the locomotive in primer paint, then rasterizing it) and then Adobe Photoshop CS6 for the actual painting. In your case, Gimp will work perfectly fine, I personally don't like it so I forked over some money for the CS6 Master Collection.
That's a really time consuming process however. The best thing I could advise you to do is attempt to make all logos solid colors in unison with the body, and somehow paint them into primer paint. Overlay colors using the "darken" blend mode on layers, if that makes sense.
Remember you may also need to edit the numbers too. Those are especially tricky since they have to be aligned if you use a new font like I do with my fictional Oshawa and Allegheny Railway, mostly which happens to be in HO Scale :)

I will warn you in advance that reskinning JR content is a gray area. Specifically, since it's payware, you cannot redistribute reskins in any matter to my knowledge, even if free.
With that out of the way, the best program I found for doing it is Adobe Illustrator CS6 (for vectoring/tracing the base of the locomotive in primer paint, then rasterizing it) and then Adobe Photoshop CS6 for the actual painting. In your case, Gimp will work perfectly fine, I personally don't like it so I forked over some money for the CS6 Master Collection.
That's a really time consuming process however. The best thing I could advise you to do is attempt to make all logos solid colors in unison with the body, and somehow paint them into primer paint. Overlay colors using the "darken" blend mode on layers, if that makes sense.
Remember you may also need to edit the numbers too. Those are especially tricky since they have to be aligned if you use a new font like I do with my fictional Oshawa and Allegheny Railway, mostly which happens to be in HO Scale :)
I understand releasing ant JR stuff isn't going to happen, I just wanted to know how to get the details on the locomotives like the engine doors and what not. The new models don't have them where you add color right over them, so hence the question how to get them, do you have to drawn to them there yourself, and if so what's the easiest and most accurate way to do so.

I understand releasing ant JR stuff isn't going to happen, I just wanted to know how to get the details on the locomotives like the engine doors and what not. The new models don't have them where you add color right over them, so hence the question how to get them, do you have to drawn to them there yourself, and if so what's the easiest and most accurate way to do so.

Unfortunately I do not have the engine in front of me nor do I have a trainz installation running at the moment. I can't help you there, sorry.

Back