Model Railroadz

Started some more work on the City's Edge inspired layout. Redid the yard, and will probably touch up/completely redo the front line of shops in the coming days.

CUsb42C.png

rLFppYv.png

Dq0uj2q.png

Not sure what happened to all my walls and floor...

Not much activity in this thread for a while. Is interest waning? I hope not.

Soon to the Download Station, Federal Street Switching Yard, in T:ANE (watch full screen and at 1080p);

More shots from the NCNO route. These were all taken at Kelly Yard and New Castle, which serves as the turn around point for that end of the route. The area is mostly finished, and I went back and did some work to it after I took these shots (namely I fixed the ridiculously tight curvature on the spur for the plastics plant, which is in the background of the last pic).

Some more shots from the NCNO layout. The first 5 shots show only completed parts of the layout, while the last 3 show some yet to be completed areas.

I like the look of that layout so far eso. Makes me feel kinda ashamed putting up the pics of today's progress on my own layout.

Today I've started reworking the city of New Castle on my NCNO route. I've completely gutted all of the grass from the area, felt that it was kinda killing the urban atmosphere I was trying to achieve. Also, I started this area of the route prior to the release of the JR grazzy stuff, but finished after and using the grazzy stuff, so I had a mixture of Pofig/JR grass in some places and just JR grass in others, and it just didn't look right. So all of the grass (not grass splines or bushes, those are staying, at least for now) has been removed.

Before:
a10e217a5106c92e9b13bc905eeef37c.jpg
babd11fb2a680ab927c5731020f9b8f8.jpg
74afe0323ba60168dec8ba803903800f.jpg

And after:
a44e3799f0bf8c6ff742e46028bda80c.jpg

Looks way different without all the grass huh? I also reworked one of the scenes.

Before (without all the grass that used to be there):
8b674414d55f96c4f70aaa2e08e7d15b.jpg

I relocated the two cops and their car to make space for another two buildings, which I plopped down without any rhyme, reason, or parking because it's my route and I bloody well can. :)
After:
1fa54320e81dcc9bee55cca7390cb166.jpg

The city actually looks pretty cool at night, which I didn't realize until I took those Conrail shots a few days ago. Also, not sure if you can tell, but I swapped out the old brick walls for the newer blue walls, just think they look better. I also had to drop the ceilings accordingly as the two walls have different heights, so I guess I'm gonna have to walk around doubled over trying not to bash my head on anything. :hehe:

Night shot:
fbf4f6f22c8b05378bd8c916a2912a04.jpg

I also had an idea for what to do with the huge amount of empty space sitting in the middle of Heather Yard at the other end of the layout (but the same end of the room lol), so I actually worked on the other side of the layout for a bit. The idea is to have a raised up one-ladder yard in the middle of the three (so far) main yard tracks which circle around it. Not sure what i think of it yet so ideas are welcome.

Raised Yard (You can see the stack cars I set up to make sure the yard lead had clearance over the main tracks):
cc6655b95cbb2247ef65a9341ec767d3.jpg

Any thoughts on how I can improve these areas is welcome.

some of the curves look a bit tight when it comes to radius, but overall very impressive work there Southern1581.

Yeah, especially the Plastics Plant spur in New Castle. I fixed it a few days ago by removing the gate that I had installed previously and making the curve there a bit bigger. Still don't wanna take anything bigger than SW1500 into that spur, but it's better than it was. I will go back later and see about making the mainline curves in there a bit wider.

Back