Page 174 of 175 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175 LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 2615

Thread: Model Railroadz

Blog Entries

Add a few passengers stations I need something to stretch out the FEF's and Challengers wheels on
    KEEP UR FOAM ALIVE
    -Brandon

Smile

Looks very nice Phil. I like the loopyness I think 4% is fine for main on a model RR, in real life there are very steep grades that trains need helper units to climb, which would make for interesting operations...

You mention you might be doing a wooded and desert variants. If I may put in an idea, perhaps you could make a rocky sort of look with dead trees and some evergreens, a northern look if you will. You certainly don't have too, only a suggestion.

Keep up your fine work Phil, your layouts have given me much joy in Trainz, including some years ago when I had TS12, under a different account before I left Trainz for that time...

Cheers,
    TrainzPlayer14
    Cheers, Riley

I've got this far:

and

At this point I'm never quite sure whether I've done all the hard yards or whether the hardest bit is yet to come. There are so many things I need to change and then there is all the details to add. Plus texturing. And I'm still not quite sure how I want Laramee to look and feel. Never mind, forever onward. Or is it like the cartoon strip where one character driving a car says to his passenger "We are making excellent time but we are hopelessly lost."

Blog Entries

That looks amazing Phil!
    KEEP UR FOAM ALIVE
    -Brandon

Phil, I really appreciate you taking the time to show your in-progress work at each stage like this. Your stepwise method of building these small routes is, I think, a valuable series of lessons for all (certainly me).

Regards,
    -Mike
    606026:
    T:ANE SP2 Build 88364, TS12 SP1 HF4 Build 61388 / Win7HP SP1 64 bit / i5-2400 3.1GHz, 16GB, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Lookin good scratchy
    KEEP UR FOAM ALIVE
    -Brandon

Well said ModelerMJ. I was also wondering how Phil creates his routes. Amazing to see it come to life step by step.
    Thanks Phil for sharing your process.
    Bob
    Trainz Simulator 12 Build 61338 - TANE 88364 - Kuid 80493

scratchy --

Love that shot. A question. That wonderful cracked baked earth texture under the bridge. What is it's name and is it built-in or on the Download Station?

as always happens phil you will get there in the end, just keep slogging on

Great work

Do have the switching dock railway for you to play with, track down and graded, just needs the phil touch to finish it. send me a PM where to send it.

Tom

Tom
    Asus AMD FX-7600P (2.7-3.6)Ghz Quad, 8gb mem, Radeon R7/R5 2GB ram HD 1TB TS12 61388 & T:ANE 82718 on w10 creative laptop

Hi Tom --

Thanks. But no. There is just far too much to do in my life at the moment.
    _____

I decided what to do at Laramee. The original intention was just a basic but large yard plus loco depot to allow big power to haul big (well, in the model Trainz context) consists around the layout.

But having go thus far it seemed better to give the whole layout some operational potential. So on the layout there are two mines, a log camp, a dry sort yard and a stock yard. At Laramee there is now a MoW yard, workshop, saw mill, minerals tippler, stock holding yard, a steamship wharf and a railroad barge ferry.

Saw mill bottom left, workshop middle left, barge ferry and MoW top right:

Foreground, left to right, minerals tippler, steamship wharf, stock holding:

And also the texturing undercoat, RRM Gravel 03 (middle setting) under water, HP-Sand series 04 (maximum setting) for the ground:

The ground undercoat looks uniform and repetitive because I no longer use texture rotation. I'll add several more un-rotated texture to give the final effects.

It's turning out reasonably well. A lot better than I originally anticipated.

Phil
    Last edited by philskene; September 16th, 2017 at 03:04 AM.

Blog Entries

philskene,

Awesome!! Hope layout release when you done...

NKP

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Phil, can I make a quick suggestion? Can you move the railroad barge ferry over to where the mineral tipper is? I can see it being used as a connection to another railroad represented by a staging yard. There are several in use here in America, the most notable is the Alaska Railroad, who are connected to the rest of North America's railroads via ferries running from Whittier, Alaska and both Prince Rupert, British Columbia (with the Canadian National), and Seattle, Washington (with Union Pacific, BNSF, and others). However, you'll need a locomotive in the staging yard to remove and/or load cars onto the ferry. Or you can do like the shortline Bay Coast Railroad, which transports both the locomotive and the rest of the train across the Chesapeake Bay from Norfolk, Virginia (where they interchange with CSX and Norfolk Southern), to Cape Charles, Virginia, on the other side of the Bay. There is also a track plan featured in one of Model Railroader's numerous track plan books that was based on a Canadian Pacific ferry, in I believe is/was in British Columbia, for access to an isolated lumber mill on the other side of a lake from the rest of the North American railroad network. Both the locomotive and cars are/were transported on the ferry across the lake.
    Last edited by jordon412; September 16th, 2017 at 08:42 AM.
    Failure is always an option - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Blog Entries

I think its something along the lines of "cracked earth" or cracked soil and its by Joe (socalwb909), it should be on the DLS Your route looks really good, personally id muddy the water slightly for the industrial area

Hi philskene and scratchy
    The cracked earth shows as built in and it is called "soil cracked" and is by socalwb909 as scratchy points out. Scratchy your stuff on JR is awesome.
    I love watching your route come together philskene, thanks for sharing.
    Bob
    Trainz Simulator 12 Build 61338 - TANE 88364 - Kuid 80493