Model Railroadz

Where have you been Railhead001?

Um....lets see...released a Modified version of the Pioneer & Freedom, then released the Modified Amtrak aka City version of the Brazemore Yard Layout and currently working on the slightly Modified Santa Fe Needles Sub MRR with a fresh thread for that in the MRR section of the forums.....................:D

Below are some overhead pix of my modified version of the Santa Fe Needles Sub layout by Approach Medium.

[/url

[URL="http://hostthenpost.org"]

I added 2 Intermodal Yards and relocated the truck/rail warehouse near the Needles Intermodal yard. Added an autocarrier depot with a staging parking lot for the new arrivals, added an overhead crane to the scrapyard and
made the storage tank facility by the Barstow station rail accessible. Also replaced the roundhouse by the Needle's station with a more modern facility.....still work in progress. You can follow my thread in the MRR forum:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...tly-quot-Modified-Santa-Fe-Needles-Sub-Layout

Last edited:
So people what are we saying here we are better sticking to books, sites (ie Model railroader database), articles and inserts of layots that were designed for us to build?

Tom

So people what are we saying here we are better sticking to books, sites (ie Model railroader database), articles and inserts of layots that were designed for us to build?

Tom

Pretty sure that debate was over; using layout plans as reference is fine, just don't redistribute the drawing/plan itself.

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

Forgot to show these a while ago. Just more from my Belt of Midpoint route during an operating session featuring some of the trains in the video I posted a month ago.

408f499579bebc9cebb2e9e0b873b687.jpg

c0d72735c84427acf5de3a3f2276961c.jpg

fa72735c5b8a18c37acf1110588a7a37.jpg

3452dfb1896ffdb2b32a0ec7f6c154de.jpg

8481ea42dd8eb6f98e349687af09f00c.jpg

83573fe4abe04a69d194bb9161c726b4.jpg

@ Railhead: nice detail in your intermodal facility.

@ Maxgenesis: love the linear approach to the layout and the transition from urban to rural. Reminds me of the lines heading west from Chicago.

The Mann, Phrom, Laramee Railroad

1. Well, I suspect that we have all now downloaded anl's UP big steam and UP turbines? Maybe also purchased some of K&L's wonderful creations. And are we all thinking "Hmm, I need somewhere to run them."?

2. Am I alone in finding Trainz routes that model a real railroad just a little too boring and tedious? Mile after mile of the same? Looking for something more adventurous, more fanciful?

3. And we've all seen images and videos of UP locomotives powering out of Laramie?

So in response to all three of the above I've started a three board model trainz layout, working title "The Mann, Phrom, Laramee Railroad."

It's still very much work in progress, a bit more than a thought bubble, but not much more. The basic track plan is an extended loop over three baseboards with one major loco depot (Laramee) and two other small stops (Mann, Phrom):

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim1.jpg

View 1:

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim2.jpg

View 2:

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim3.jpg

This represents a few hours work. In my mind I can see what it should look like but the real challenge will be getting the gradients correct. Maybe somethings will not work so expect modifications to the track plan. Once the grades are fixed the terrain should become more obvious. Then the texturing. And possibly two variations -- desert and woodlands.

I've done a lap around the layout. At 70 mph it takes about 10 minutes. Originally I wanted to use 200m + curves but those require far too much space. I decided that in a model railroad would 100m is acceptable. But one additional question -- it's a model railroad not a real railroad. So are 3, 4 or possibly 5% grades acceptable?

Phil

Well if it's going to be running really long big power trains I would say perhaps nothing above 3% for mainline. For small sidings/industrial trackage steeper would be acceptable.

It's your route though so you decide :)

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

TP14 --

I agree about the 3% grades in real life. But can you cut me a little slack here? After all, this a model of a model railroad rather than a model of real life.

I'm not sure of the hauling abilities of a real Big Boy. 50 cars on a 3% grade perhaps? On a model railroad maybe 20 cars is the maximum? So it might be acceptable to go over 3%?

Anyway, I managed an hour or so last night. The maximum grade is 4%:

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim4.jpg

And:

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim5.jpg

Now all I have to do is do the terra-forming to make it look like the track follows the demands of the terrain rather than me fitting the terrain to the track. It might take me a day or two to pluck up the courage to attempt this.

Also a slight change of plan. Originally I thought this would be just a layout for taking big steam power out for a lap or so. Having got this far I think that I may as well add a couple of mines, a log camp and perhaps a stock yard, and all the associated facilities that these industries require, to make this a railroad with a purpose.

Phil

Last edited:
Looks very nice Phil. I like the loopyness :hehe: I think 4% is fine for main on a model RR, in real life there are very steep grades that trains need helper units to climb, which would make for interesting operations... :eek:

You mention you might be doing a wooded and desert variants. If I may put in an idea, perhaps you could make a rocky sort of look with dead trees and some evergreens, a northern look if you will. You certainly don't have too, only a suggestion. :)

Keep up your fine work Phil, your layouts have given me much joy in Trainz, including some years ago when I had TS12, under a different account before I left Trainz for that time...:)

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

I've got this far:

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim6.jpg

and

MannPhromLaramee_Prelim7.jpg

At this point I'm never quite sure whether I've done all the hard yards or whether the hardest bit is yet to come. There are so many things I need to change and then there is all the details to add. Plus texturing. And I'm still not quite sure how I want Laramee to look and feel. Never mind, forever onward. Or is it like the cartoon strip where one character driving a car says to his passenger "We are making excellent time but we are hopelessly lost."

Phil, I really appreciate you taking the time to show your in-progress work at each stage like this. Your stepwise method of building these small routes is, I think, a valuable series of lessons for all (certainly me).

Regards,
-Mike

Back