Model Railroadz

Pioneer X............Farming at its finest: Enjoy !

EkPDOBQ.jpg

ekXpp8s.jpg

mPbbYhz.jpg

V8bNchz.jpg

bjZ4k0b.jpg

EG4Y9Eb.jpg

3zOn8UF.jpg

6udy4ny.jpg

Last edited:
Kab Fourword

I took that Cab Forward consist out for a lap around the layout. I accelerated up to 50mph then held that speed. Time for one lap = 9 minutes; distance = 7 miles.

I've also done some work on the track grades. This is end result:

KabFourword_04.jpg

Yes, it's very difficult to follow so, just for photographic purposes, I replaced the timber sleeper track with trestles and it's considerably easier to follow:

KabFourword_05.jpg

KabFourword_06.jpg

KabFourword_07.jpg

Generally, the maximum gradient is about 2.5%. There are a few places where the grade is steeper but these can be classified "momentum gradients" where the consist builds up sufficient speed going downhill to surmount the uphill section. Such grades were certainly used here in Australia. Question -- were they also used in North America?

I ran the Cab Forward around the layout again. The trailing load with those grain cars fully loaded with wheat is a shade over 1,000 tons. In Cab Mode it was a struggle in places but I completed the test lap. The e-spec used in that locomotive is "US Big Steam enginespec". I haven't tried DDC Mode. I don't know how locomotives with other e-specs will perform.

Question -- what loads were the Cab Forwards expected to haul on 2.5% grades?

It's the next bit that fills me with fear -- the terra-forming to made it look like the track was fitted to the terrain rather than the opposite. Wish me luck. I will need it.

Last edited:
Amazing how the last pic really lets you visualize the elevations before the build. You are ahead by a century already. Nice :)

I've been procrastinating. But I have done some experimentation.

One of the "features" of Trainz is the incredible difficulty in making a rocky ledge for track. That is, something that looks like this:

Trains1_Durango%26Silverton_MI.jpg

This is the best that I've been able to do:

KabFourword_08.jpg

KabFourword_09.jpg

I think if you get a nice wood retaining wall spline to cover up the trestles showing through the gaps in the rock spine, and add some rock slide rubble through textures and perhaps some scenery objects, and you'll have a bloody nice cliff-side effect going there Phil. Very nicely done so far!

"...except for the repeating spline pattern." And the fact that it doesn't provide a flat surface for the track bed, so I still have to use a trestle to support the track.

I'm very much dependent upon the wonderful assets that content creators provide. I've always thought that you guys are the real heroes. I'm just the journeyman that puts the pieces together.

So question -- could you provide a suitable ledge for use as the track base in mountainous areas? Similar rocky textures to the one I've used, flat track surface?

The ledge I've used is "
DG twenty four A Cliff 1 flat ROCK ONLY".

Phil

Last edited:
hello phil
some time ago i did some excercise too with splines and used track with "terrain" and/or "high" in the name ...
by shuffling with the splines i could lesser the gaps and also the "..repeating pattern .."
i used only on straighten tracks and same hight, so i don't know (yet) about grading and turning ... could be a lot of work ...
my favo's:
<kuid:484889:100027> RRS track les01high T9 2.8 m - mclaren1
<kuid2:45324:38010:4> JR Dk Grey Dirty (Terrain) - norfolksouthern37
<kuid:44878:101035> DG thirteen A Cliff 1 flat ROCK ONLY - dangavel

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

good luck
grtz
daveric

xGkqy3b.jpg

Below: The crew of loco No. 2293 has just finished an early lunch and is starting to pick up some loaded grain covered hoppers at an ADM elevator before replacing them with a fresh batch of empties in a cut of freight cars waiting to be set out on the main line. And so starts the mid morning shuffle ending at Pioneer with the assembly of a local outbound freight.

Go Big
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp74_H5BfuY

Last edited:
... working on a diorama: cityshunt after a rainy day ...

brooklyn.jpg

brooklyn.jpg

brooklyn.jpg

brooklyn.jpg

brooklyn.jpg

... actually i wanted the reflection of lights and lamps in the wet asphalt ... the lighted windows of the building in the background appear in the reflection, but the lights of the buildings in front and the headlights of the locs don't ...
grtz
daveric

Back