Model Railroadz

Awesome job John. Lots of detail in such small spaces. I think it is much tougher to build a small layout than the larger ones, a lot more complexities for getting it to look and work right. I hear you on the resizing to make it work, had to do that a couple times for my most recent route.

What phil don't like my choice of locos for your route, looks like your inspecting the line & lumber camp today, This time one of the little STD gauge Climax in control
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Agree Been trying all kinds of Methods first before Basemapz trying to work out how many squares per inch for my first couple then using Basemapz mostly just used them to use the full baseboard atleast in one direction and changing the other size to keep the ratio correct.

Tom

True enough that many published model railway plans are highly optimistic about what can be fitted into the plan. Most need some measure of reworking so it's possible to actually build them.
Nice work John. I tend to think that smaller layouts are more in the spirit of the TMR format.

All that makes me wonder why anyone would want to bother with submitting anything to the DLC program. Making a decent route is hard enough and then there's all this to face to get it through the gate. And having done that it might not even be accepted because the beta testers aren't interested in what you've done.

i just think it shows disregard for content creators and route makers. the 2019 system of marketing and pricing has been designed to make money and not with the user in mind. In particular, the " advanced" features which are only available if you pay top dollar gets me very hot under the collar . I am darned if i am going to pay more to create routes in 2019 , I'll stick with TANE as long as it works on my computer and find another hobby when it doesn't rather than subscribe to a system that can only be fully utilized by those who have more lucre to spare.

i just think it shows disregard for content creators and route makers. the 2019 system of marketing and pricing has been designed to make money and not with the user in mind. In particular, the " advanced" features which are only available if you pay top dollar gets me very hot under the collar . I am darned if i am going to pay more to create routes in 2019 , I'll stick with TANE as long as it works on my computer and find another hobby when it doesn't rather than subscribe to a system that can only be fully utilized by those who have more lucre to spare.

All very true Dan. I foolishly updated my Tinware Classic version of TS2019 to SP1 and lost the 'undo' button in the process, but I've accepted no 'updates' of any kind since and I intend to keep it that way. There's a very good reason why I still build layouts in TS2012 and that's because it works and nothing is going to break it overnight. I did upload a TS2019 layout just recently, but I was really careful to make sure it didn't use any payware or 'magic' bits. I don't think I'll be making a habit of that though since I find TS2019's surveyor to be nothing but a source of frustration.

OK, now you're just showing off. ;)

For those of you that don't know, we have oknotsen to thank for the idea of making model railroad benchwork in Trainz.

Thank you,

William

Very nice smaller layouts. And I love the view out the window on the Toledo screenshot! Are you going to upload these?

Sorry for the delay in replying but I was waiting to see what responses there would be. There have been no responses to the UKthread post #17 and here the only other replies have been from our expert modellers so there appears to be little interest.

As I wrote in the other thread, I do not regard my layouts as very good. If you look at the right hand side of Eusdore in the other thread you will see a good (bad?) example of my lack of modelling skills. Also I made wide angle views as the faults would show close up. We already have a load of poor routes on the DLS.

Another reason for not uploading is that I have used payware and unauthorised alterations to other creators items which would be a problem to sort out.

The trouble is John the forum is full of 'nodders and grunters' whose only purpose in coming here is to see what they can take and never give anything back. Either that or their education is lacking and they can't read or write and only come to look at the pictures.
It's certainly not very encouraging when out of the vast number of registered members barely 100 of them take the time to give any feedback.

Sadly, I think this says something. Less than 9% members:
There are currently 768 users online. 66 members and 702 guests

Edit: How do I tell if I am a guest or a member? Surely the guests can't all be unregistered guests. Is there a membership signup I have been missing beyond registering Trainz?

Last edited:
. . . . .

Edit: How do I tell if I am a guest or a member? Surely the guests can't all be unregistered guests. Is there a membership signup I have been missing beyond registering Trainz?

If you go to the top-level of the Forum there is a list of Members at the very bottom of the page. if your name is a blue link, then you're a member, and you're online.

Bill

IntenCity -- work in progress

"IntenCity" -- work in progress

The layout is a simple loop with many industrial yards (including a steel mill, Teamsters yard, scrap yard, fuel terminal, power station, ACME Industries, log yard, saw mill, grain mill, ... ).

For the Player the challenge is navigating from yard to yard, interacting with the AI trainz that travel in both the clockwise and anticlockwise direction.

This is still very much work in progress. I still have to add textures, grasses, trees, small details, ... .

In the video the AI trainz are emitted from the portals at 3 minute intervals. In practice I've found that this actually makes it impossible for the Player to work from yard to yard. In the sessions I will prepare for the final version of the layout the headway between trainz will be 7 to 10 minutes. But even then the level of intensity can be very high as the Player times his movements over the single track sections.

Best watched full screen and 1080p:

Phil

Last edited:
Phil,
This is great news! Another gem being updated. Thanks so much for taking such good care of us.

It looks like you are well on the way - the video is really nice. I really appreciate the effect of having to deal with the AI trains, because it makes the route feel alive. You aren't the only train on the route.

I'll be looking forward to adding this one to my updated "Philskene Land." :Y:

Gary

My first completed(?) model railroad. Inspired by Russell Schoof's Free Haven Terminal (Model Railroader, October 1990 and 48 Top Notch Track Plans, 1993) and my memories of the SP working the Port of Long Beach and Port of Los Angeles.

Purely a switching layout with a purposeful operating concept. Inbound cuts from staging get sorted by destination and delivered. Pick-ups are brought back to the yard and returned to staging.

Free-Haven-Model-Railroad-Screenshots.jpg

Nice screenshots pepperref!
I've checked out your route there, and it is awesome!

-------------------------------

Route is very close at being finished, just need to add a few things here and there and then I think I can make the session :D

5Ke9fkz.jpg

sLVxHS6.jpg

lrVgycv.jpg

Cheers

Back