FULL RANGE OF MODERN DAY CSX SIGNALS!!!

Pappy92

I have had it with not getting the signals i need/want. Its official. I am now willing to pay, yes PAY, anyone who can make me a good, FULL set of modern day CSX safetran color light signals to a full list I have come up with. I am trying to simulate real life train operations. If anyone can make these for me you can privately message me details and some pictures of work you can do and I will make a decision. Please. Someone has to be out there who can do this. Thanks. -John

Stupid question John, have you tried our website? We have the safetran color light signals that work according to the prototype, and they are free!

Mike

bty6.jpg

Yea what Mike said, give these a try John. They've been around for awhile but still pretty good!

Yes Mike I have. First of all thanks for your reply. Second of all. This is my thing, in real life not every turnout has 3 lights in 1 signal head over 3 lights in 1 signal head and not every interlocking has 3 lights in one signal head over three lights in one signal head over 3 lights in 1 signal head. CSX doesn't use lights that they don't have to. For example: Let's say you have a single track starting at signal A and it it splits into 2 tracks at Signal B, one siding and your mainline. And lets also say that this turnout is rated for limited speed. The "Intermediate" or "Distant" signal which is signal A is going to show Approach Limited which is Yellow over a Flashing Green to give a warning that either A. the next signal, signal B, is showing some form of a limited speed aspect whether it be a Limited Approach or Limited Clear or B. that the next signal is showing an Approach. I'll explain more on this in a minute. So lets take example A. You just went through an Approach Limited signal at "A". Your coming up at the "Absolute" or "Home" signal where you see you have a Limited Clear or Limited Approach aspect so you operate accordingly. With that being said, because CSX is starting to get away from using the Advanced Approach and Medium Advanced Approach signal indications in areas that they can. Usually where traffic is more dense and bi-directional running is in place where the speed limit is faster than 45 MPH, such as the area I'm trying to accurately model in South Florida's Palm Beaches where the commuter service Tri-Rail is running along with Amtrak and CSX, they are using Approach Limited to replace Advanced Approach to keep trains moving faster. So what you have now is a signal having 3 lights in the top head and 2 lights on the bottom head with red, yellow, and green in the top head, and red and green in the bottom head. This signal can show these indications... Clear, Approach, Stop, and Approach Limited; or Approach Medium where the bottom green light does not flash. With this being said, CSX is not going to use a double headed, three light in each head signal because it would show and extra indication that is not needed or used and maintenance would be more expensive. Now lets move on to example B. Take my Tri-Rail route for example. In a good section of the route, you have a double track mainline with bi-directional running and the maximum speed limit 79MPH. You have an intermediate signal then a distant signal then your home signal protecting the double crossovers that exist. Now lets say your home signal was showing Stop. Obviously the signal before that, your distant signal, is going to be showing Approach. Well going back to what I said about the Advanced Approach thing is that now your intermediate signal before your distant showing Approach will now show Approach Limited so trains can move just that much faster. Also, your websites version of CSX signals can't show Approach Slow or any Slow speed signal indications. Your websites signals are fantastic, in my mind and for my use they need a lot of tweaking to be able to function like the signals on a real working CSX line. I'm not knocking on anyone because I have studied CSX's signals for years and I work for the railroad. Plus I grew up in south Florida where my route is based. Please reply to this. Give me your feedback. I'd love to post pictures of examples and scenarios. Maybe even help your team of developers come up with some really great signals at that seems to be one of the hardest things to get good quality on in trainz. Thanks for your time. -John

Hi John,

This might take time for people to digest. I do know what you mean, but the content creators, especially those that create the scripted signals, have to think about and figure out how to implement what you want. Perhaps they could do this as signal heads that are clipped on to a basic mast. I don't know how to do this and I'm only throwing out some ideas.

John

This is my thing, in real life not every turnout has 3 lights in 1 signal head over 3 lights in 1 signal head and not every interlocking has 3 lights in one signal head over three lights in one signal head over 3 lights in 1 signal head.

This is very true, however, this isn't real life, and the purpose of these signals was to form a general set for other users to use on their routes in any number of configurations that I could never predict. They are not meant to re-create a CSX signal system or any other specific one, in fact I have purposely made them more generic so that they can be used, as I said, in a wide variety of applications however the route builder feels.

Also, your websites version of CSX signals can't show Approach Slow or any Slow speed signal indications.

I apologize for saying it twice, but they are not CSX signals. Both Slow clear and Medium Approach Slow are supported by the 3 head signal. Whether you can always get them to show that is another thing. If they are entirely script controlled by a scenario then you could easily, but using them in their automated state... Without getting into the technicalities of how Trainz works, keep in mind that while I could make a signal show any indication, the Trainz AI might not understand what they mean at all. There are only so many default understood signal aspects I can replace. Again, since these are not specific and being widely used on many many routes, I have to be careful here. If I do one day complete the signal set to cover most possibilities, maybe a list of indications can be programmed for each signal type as it is placed. I have worked on this signal set off and on for several years, each time I add new features.

Your websites signals are fantastic, in my mind and for my use they need a lot of tweaking to be able to function like the signals on a real working CSX line.

I would agree, but there is no such benefit for me to do this right now, unless you would like to commission a set made specifically for your route.

I'm not knocking on anyone because I have studied CSX's signals for years and I work for the railroad.

;)

Maybe even help your team of developers come up with some really great signals at that seems to be one of the hardest things to get good quality on in trainz.

I would consider these signals sufficient for their intended use. They are much better than anything else offered in Trainz and are always a work in progress. In a short response, this would take a lot of time to produce a specific set of signals for a specific route as you wish to have. That is one reason it has not been done yet. If we were doing a specific route that would require specific signals than I might entertain it, but right now it is a lot of work that might suit you, but hardly anyone else. Notice TS12s built in Mojave sub, where I matched some 230 signals to their real life counter parts at the timeframe the route was centered. That was no easy task.

Last edited:
norfolksouthern37, privately message me for my email address and ill gladly negotiate a commission for your skills and maybe you could teach me some things. But your right, I did not take into consideration that other fellow trainz users may not be as knowledgeable of the CSX signalling systems like I am. (Not gloating) And I also understand that its not a brilliant idea to make a set of signals that are for just one railroad so I apologize if I was coming off as being hasty. Ill check back in a few days to see if you replied. Thanks for you help and reply. -John

Just a question but have you ever heard of GrahamSea's signals? His signals, though poor in textures and resolution compared to your signals, were easy to script. I am not wanting a specific set of signals that are specific to my route. I'm wanting something how his were with the detail and realistic look that your signals have. I'm not knocking on your work by any stretch of imagination. You do amazing work. Your attention to detail is brilliant. His could show anything you told it to. But that still doesn't solve the problem of AI trainz being able to recognize all kinds of different signal indications.

Back