A new idea...

Greetings all,

As some of you may be aware, I have recently been searching for a rule that would allow me to drive a train/tram along a route with another system switching the points/junctions for me so I wouldn't end up flying down some random branchline over yonder. Turns out, that pretty much can not be done.

However, what about a rule that trigger a point/junction to a certain direction when a certain vehicle number passes over it, such as "1001". That way, I'd be able to tell it which trams/trains I'd want it to switch left for, and which I'd want it to switch right for (of course, a tram would then have to stay on the same line all day) but I wonder, is it possible? Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Regards, Jack

It's to attempt to simulate an automatic system used on the Manchester Metrolink where the detectors read the code of the tram, know where it is going and so switch the points accordingly. It's just on those complicated, busy sections where you have a billion signals to look at as well as a load of other trams. I just need a driver command that will switch a junction to a particular state when a tram hits a trigger. I have another tram parked elsewhere on the board with the 'Wait until trigger' command in it's command string, set to 'Wait until trigger Approach is triggered by 1001' but now all I need is a command to tell it to switch Junction 0 to 'right'

Gah, Trainz :(

Jack, off the top of my head you can use WaitFor > Trigger > SetPath or SetJunctions and/or in conjunction with SetSignals. Trigger settings determine which train sets it off. Use multiple triggers for different types of trains to trigger different paths.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Sounds like something that could be done by simply using triggers and junction rules. Or at least that's how I do it: Trigger X get triggered by consist Y, which causes junction Z gets switched to the right.

That's pretty much how I've got it set up now. There's an extra tram parked on a separate section of board with the Wait until Trigger command. I just can't find a driver command to switch the junction, or a path rule :( I have the rule called "Path Rule" but that asks for a yard and I get stuck with it :hehe:

Jack

A command like "Navigate To Trackmark" will automatically set the junctions along the way. It is up to you to position the Trackmarks in such a way that your tram will take the correct route.

I've tried that but that only works with computer driven trams :( all I need is a basic junction control command, does anyone know of one...do they even exist? :confused:

I think I may have over-complicated this. Let me start again.

I have a tram on a separate piece of track controlling the alignment to the diverging junctions as I approach them. I have the Wait until Trigger command set up on the separate tram telling it to wait until I hit a certain trigger. I now need to give that tram a command to switch the junction to the left or right when my tram hits that trigger. So for example, I'm approaching Cornbrook. The separate tram (the one controlling the switches for my tram) has this in it's command box:

Wait for Trigger 'Cornbrook Diverge' to be triggered by 1001 (my tram (there is a driver command for this part))

Now I need a command (if there is one) to switch the junction to the left (going to Eccles or MediaCity UK) or right (going to Altrincham or East Didsbury) so the command box looks like this:

Wait for Trigger 'Cornbrook Diverge' to be triggered by 1001
Switch junction Cornbrook Diverge to the (right/left (dependent on which way my tram is intending to travel))

Apologies for being confusing :)

Jack

Last edited:
But your tram is always going to have to go the way the trigger tram is setting that one junction, if you want to go another way you'd have to use ctrl j ( and then stop the trigger activation) and then another trigger tram or trams for the other junctions on the alternative route.
If it's always going to be the same tram your driving oknotsen's post #5 would do the job.
How about the jrsTRF-Path trigger, kuid 2:192081:15:4., description-create paths for your train, set them by trigger.

The way I'd do it would be to create a Schedule library for all the AI vehicles to follow, and then in the schedule library create a schedule to give to the trigger tram with all the Wait until Trigger commands and subsequent Junction control commands in the order of the route. I'd make one for each route to follow and then obviously when I have to go back to the depot at the end of the day I'd create a schedule in the schedule library to send me close to the depot. I've just tried it with the JunctionControl and JunctionFree assets and it worked very well when mixed with AI however I will also have a look at the jsTRF-Path Trigger asset as that may be even better at doing the job in question. Plus, the JunctionControl and JunctionFree assets would limit me to one tram (without changing every Wait until Trigger command every time) so I'm going to have a look at the jsTRF stuff now, thanks very much! :)

Edit: I've just downloaded the jsTRF-Path Control and jsTRF-Path Trigger assets but there seems to be an error with the trigger asset:

No selection for tag 'category-era' in behaviour.
The tag 'path'" in container 'string-table' is empty.
The tag 'przebieg'" in container 'string-table-pl' is empty.

Jack

Last edited:
Hi

Frans suggestion is the way that I would tackle this problem. You set up the possible paths through a junction or junctions and each one is linked to a particular trackmark. All each tram would need would be an Autodrive command to either drive to or through the appropriate trackmark and it will set its own route. I have King's Cross station set up this way on the ECML route and all inbound trains will find their own paths using the appropriate platform trackmark in the Path Trigger rule.

You will need the "jsTRF-Path Control" and "jsTRF-Path Trigger" rules and the "Autodrive" and "PathControl setpath" driver commands which I believe are on the DLS. There is a website http://www.js-home.org/trainz/index.php which has some guides on how to set it all up.

There is a jsTRF-Timetable rule which allows you to set up complete timetables for a route but it takes quite a bit of understanding and it took me a long time to work out how to use it.

If you had been using TS12 I would have suggested using the SCS2013 rule which has some sophisticated decision making commands for situations like this but because of the different structure of route files it won't work in anything below TS12.

Regards

Brian

Regards

Brian

Hi again Jack

Open the config file and look for the tag "category-era-0" which is set to "all". Edit "all" to "2000s" and the error will clear. This error doesn't seem to occur in TS12.

Regards

Brian

Back