ZecRail Trainz Content

S301_20140610_0003.jpg

Another one I've been playing with over the past week has been a weathered 'Type 2' DD class in Canadian Red. Although the Canadian Red was normally kept quite clean, during the war years (WW1) there wasn't enough man power to keep them clean, and hence many of the VR's steam locos became quite grubby. This is, from my reckoning, about the 'upper' end of this; much like the 'WW1 red' version that is already available. Since locos could go for quite a few years between repaints, there is quite a bit of overlap between the 'Canadian Red' and 'WW1 red' liveries, so both can be used together. It's quite possible that some locos retained Canadian Red into the early 1920s, and ran alongside black locos, as well (although WW1 red would likely have been more common).

Regards
Zec

Hi All
A follow on from the last post, with an update on the new DD class versions... As per the last post, the first of these is a heavily weathered Canadian Red DD class, as I reckon would have occurred during WW1, for locos not repainted into the 'WW1 red' scheme. The other is a mostly clean WW1 red DD class (I still need to make it just a little cleaner around the firebox I reckon), as they would have appeared after a few weeks/months of service after repaint.

S301_20140613_0001.jpg

This screenshot shows the 4 'red' era locos at Lilydale. The back two are the versions already available in the T2 DD class DLC pack, being weathered WW1 red (left) and 'pristine' Canadian Red (right), and are shown for a comparison. The front two are the versions for Healesville, being 'mostly clean' WW1 red (left), and heavily weathered Canadian Red (right).

The two versions for Healesville have had some slight updates as well... I've re-mapped the dome and funnel so that the new weathering is more seamless, there's also a new set of dirty window textures.

S301_20140610_0002.jpg

I've also weathered the cab view, and added the correct timber roof... Note, window textures had not been updated in the above screenshot :)

The other change, which isn't overly visible, is a new set of wheel tire textures on these (you can see the new textures in my previous post). They're actually the second items to use it, the F horsebox being the first (where I accidentally implemented it, liked it, and have now adopted it as a 'standard' for all new stuff! :p ).

Regards
Zec

S301_20140616_0000.jpg

And the next one lol :)

A nice and filthy, and dinted, I wagon in the pre 1950s wagon 'brown' livery :) I've still got a couple of things to do on it, plus another version with different weathering.

Regards

Thanks guys :) I agree with that, weathering is really something that brings a model to life :)

I've now completed a second I wagon, with less damage but still quite weathered, for the Healesville route :)

S301_20140617_0000.jpg

And, tonight, did almost all of the mesh work for a VR ABL car :) These were one of the more common carriages seen on branchline trains, in particular on a 'mixed' train. Hopefully I can get it done quite quickly! It's a kitbash of my BV car, since they were essentially based on the L car design (AL, BL, ABL).

vr-abl-car-02.jpg

Zec

Hi All
Been a little while between updates again, have been busy with Healesville, getting everything finished up.

Got to the point today that I couldn't got any further for the time being, and so I decided to do something fun... Namely, tinker away at the V class again!

vr-v-class-30.jpg

Got the compressor and it's pipework done, the blower pipe, and made a start on the cab. The cab actually made quite a difference IMO! Now it looks like a V class, and a Baldwin :)

Zec

Hi Zec,
Great looking model. Some of the driver bits and pieces look very much like the Baldwin 0-4-0 shunter I'm working on. Although I've given up on too much animation of the Stephenson valve gear as discussed in the other thread. The animation I'd like to do seems to be beyond Blender's capability (and mine!) and probably Trainz as well.

But I'm curious about your base colour scheme - for want of a better term. Is this just for a first look in Trainz or is there a more technical reason? I'm talking about the vivid colours before you start on the realistic colour scheme.

Cheers

Hi Paul
Thanks, it's definitely proving a challenge. The Vauclain Compound's valve gear is even more complex than standard Stephensons valve gear, having the piston valves in-line with the frames... If you're interested, there's an old render of it here (note, some parts are missing or are incomplete :) ): http://www.zecrail.com/files/vclass/vr-v-class-22.jpg

It doesn't surprise me that they look so similar, Baldwin was very much a company that used common parts/designs where possible. It's one thing that has made this project a bit easier, as it means that I can gain reference material from other locos (much like is being done on the 1:1 scale new build by the Victorian Steam Locomotive Company :) ).

It should be possible to do several animations in the one mesh, and just have attachment points on them to attach the actual meshes too, but it would get exceedingly complex very quickly :)

The colours are just the default colours applied to each 'object'/'part' by 3DSMax when they're created. Some have been manually set, particularly where I needed contrasting colours to make sure I could see the parts clearly :)

I did finally get the brakes finished on the V class tonight, been putting off doing the brake cylinders and handbrake lol.

vr-v-class-31.jpg

Zec

Wow, the attachment early render is rather beautiful. I'm pleased to see your creation of the eccentric rods is very similar to mine so I must have made some good guesses from the diagrams I have found. I need to do some more museum visits!

I'm also intrigued by the suspension arrangement as I could not work out how it fitted in the loco I am making. The 840 0-4-0 has a similar suspension, according to the drawing I have, but frames would likely interfere. The springs and the suspending arrangement is nicely done.

Cheers

Hi All
I have done a bit more on the V class lately, and I'm rather pleased with how it's turning out :)

vr-v-class-37.jpg

Due to the large open nature of the cab (particularly those side windows!), I decided it needed something inside the cab exterior model, so this is the 'basic' representation of the cab for it. Most is based on what information is available from the drawings I have, however some is also guesswork based on other similar Baldwin locos that I've been looking at. There's still a couple of bits and pieces to add, but they'll be a little later.

I will be doing a much, much more detailed cab for the interior model of course. :)

Regards
Zec

vr-v-class-40.jpg

And back to outside the cab lol.

I've finally built the Baldwin headlight that V499 arrived with, as well as making the boiler a little smoother, and added the roof vent :) There's also a few other small changes, such as rebuilding the boiler support bracket above the motion bracket.

Regards

vr-v-class-43.jpg

Well, I'm pleased to say that I've finished the modeling side of things for the V499 'locomotive' model, and have now started on the tender. This should hopefully be a bit easier, since the tender was of very similar design to the DD class locos (in fact, the DD's tenders were based upon the AA class tenders, which in turn were based upon the V class tenders; some drawings such as the bogie drawings even had 'V class' crossed out, and 'AA class' written in, in red!). As such, I've been able to kitbash the chassis, and most components (handrails, filler cap, toolbox, etc) to fit the V class. :)

Regards
Zec

Thanks all, I'm really happy with how they look so far! :)

The V's will be payware, via the DLC system, when they are finished.

I have some interesting plans for them, which I'll reveal more on as they progress :)

Regards
Zec

That V class looks amazing, love the old style Baldwin Headlight, this 2-8-0 reminds me of the Moscow Camden & San Augustine #6.

Hi All
I've taken a bit of a break from other projects, including the V class, this week...

Started last Saturday, I've managed to come up with this little one :)

new-vr-steamer-16.jpg

Yes, a week. Still a lot of work, but it was chosen as it was relatively easy to build :) Not sure how or when it might be released, but it's just about ready for mapping :) I do intend on creating a custom interior for it.

I have, however, made a 'lower poly' interior for the exterior model, so that the rather open cab looks more complete when up close.

new-vr-steamer-14.jpg

Regards

Back