ZecRail Trainz Content

Thank you everyone. I hope everyone has an absolutely fantastic Christmas!

I have posted a separate thread for the 2016 Christmas Train here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?135791-Merry-Christmas-from-ZecRail-2016!

The pack includes the 2016 Christmas Train, a consist for the train, the 2015 Christmas Train (M class and carriages) and 2014 Christmas Train loco (F class), a session for the Healesville route, and a session that I put together today for the Legacy of the BN II route from JointedRail that uses the 2016 Christmas Train!

Merry Christmas Everybody!
Zec

A few shots from a run I did tonight with the Type 4 DD class, and my still WIP V class. :) Also another small side project, an L sheep wagon, is now working in Trainz, managed to get 90 of the CWS Sheep into it! :)

2017-01-11%20000857.jpg

DD 658 sits in 2 road at Lilydale before departure with a heavy goods.

2017-01-11%20001115.jpg

With a V class banking the train, DD 658 storms up the hill out of Lilydale.

2017-01-11%20001248.jpg

Baldwin V499 working hard at the rear as pushes the train up the hill.

2017-01-11%20001351.jpg

Cresting the hill, DD 658 passes the stop board where V499 will be stopped before returning to Lilydale.

2017-01-11%20001502.jpg

Having shut off steam and applied the brakes, V499 comes to a stop at the top of the hill, whilst the goods steams onward to Melbourne.

2017-01-11%20001857.jpg

Having completed it's banking duties, V499 drifts back into Lilydale.

Regards
Zec

With work going off-and-on with the V class, there's been a lot of unposted work on the project!

At the moment I'm working on the cab interior, which is proving to be quite an interesting challenge with a lot of details!

vr-v-class-95.jpg

Still a few parts left to add though, but hoping to make this my most detailed cab view yet...

Regards
Zec

STLSF4003, that'd be correct at this stage. Although it's possible I may end up releasing it for 'TRS2018', depending on when the Vs are finished and when 'TRS2018' comes out...

vr-v-class-96.jpg

In the mean time, some more progress on the cab view for my VR V class locomotive, slowly getting through the detailing and other parts! Note that the back wall of the cab is currently turned off to make everything a little more visible!

Regards
Zec

Been a while since I posted an update here, has been a very busy few months with the release of the Type 4 D1 class locos, the launch of my new website(!), and a lot of other things. However work has been progressing quite steadily on the V class project!

vr-v-class-100.jpg

After months of modelling and texture mapping, I've at long last been able to start texturing the cab for V499!

So far the main cab shell, and the nuts, bolts, and pipework have been painted and had photo overlays applied. Next up are the controls, which will get much the same treatment! Then I can start working on normals, specular, and 'env' maps, then animation and getting the whole lot in-game!

Seriously can't wait to be able to drive this one, going to be an odd feeling driving from the 'wrong' side though!

Zec

Progress has been going steady on the V class with much being 'under the hood' progress, with a few small interludes on other projects, as well as things outside of Trainz.

The cab view is just about finished, with only a few small things plus some scripting left to do. As such, I have made a start on fixing issues I've found and then doing LOD, with a focus on first completing the tender!

To this end I have now completed LOD on the tender, as well as a few necessary changes and the animation of the coal load. With the LOD finished, I thought I would share a pic of each LOD lined up...

As it's quite a large image, I've left it as just a link: http://www.zecrail.com/files/vclass/vr-v-class-105.jpg

They are placed with the highest LOD on the left, and the lowest on the right (I've not yet baked it's texture yet, so it still shows another model's texture).

Stats for these at this time (note this is not the finished model, so these may change; and do not reflect actual distances in-game as the bogies will change LODs at different distances to the body, although I aim for them to be fairly close):

LOD0 = 41390
LOD1 = 18362
LOD2 = 7476
LOD3 = 2326
LOD4 = 14*

There are also a few bits not shown (submeshes for the tender body, such as coal load, coal boards, and filler lid) which will be setup differently.

*All meshes are culled when LOD4 is visible. This means that, at this LOD the tender is a total of 14 triangles and 1 texture. I generally aim for this LOD to be visible about 1200m/1.2km away from the camera.

Regards
Zec

Is it supposed to do that?

So I've been fooling around in Trainz for nine years now and this is the first time this has happened.

TANE SP3 Beta, ARTC NSW Main South VR North East route by grazlash. As is my custom when exploring a new route I placed a consist at one end and told the AI to take me to the other end while I take pictures like any other tourist. :D

After 120 miles and two and a half hours of fun this happens!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Out of nowhere the engine blows up! It was able to cover the last eight miles into Albury but is this supposed to happen? :hehe:

Edit: Examining the tender at the time of the blow up showed no water listing at all. I went back and checked the tender at the start and it did have water listed so I'm guessing I ran out of water. Unfortunately this route doesn't have any water points.

Last edited:
Yep, that'd be because you've run out of water. All of my DLC steamers, as well my ones that are built-in, include a script that represents the fusible plug melting in the firebox. Trainz actually supports this in CAB mode (when you run out of water in the boiler, which is actually a fair while after it reaches 0% on the HUD and gauge glass, the fusible plug melts resulting in the boiler pressure dropping to 0PSI), but the steam physics are somewhat functional in DCC mode resulting in it also occurring in DCC mode. If you run for too long without water in the tender, the boiler runs out of water, and hence the fusible plug melts :)

Regards
Zec

LOL, of course if I'd been driving I would have noticed that, silly AI! I guess I'd better put in some water points.

Thanks Zec.

Hi All
It certainly has been a while since I posted an update!

Work has continued to progress with V499, as well as a few other surprises in the background, with a focus on the light and heavily weathered versions of V499!

These have now been completed, and I have included 3DSMax renders (without any specular, etc, maps on it) of both the light weathered and the heavily weathered version.

When I say heavily weathered, I certainly mean it in this case. It's probably more filthy than it generally got in service, however I felt that the 'clean' and 'light weathered' versions pretty much covered an in service look, so went a little further with this one :)

vr-v-class-112.jpg

vr-v-class-111.jpg

Regards
Zec

Thanks Norm, it's been a long time coming (started the the rebuild of the V class model in late 2012!). Very pleased with how it's coming up now though!

And nice shot, there! The T2 DD looks nice there :) Interesting arrangement, I reckon the crew will appreciate that. We never really had anything quite that fancy in Victoria for washouts (sometimes a raised platform next to the track, but normally you just climbed up onto the loco to do it!).

2019-04-03%20221024.jpg

An in-game, in TANE SP3, shot of a very filthy V499 at Healesville loco :)

Regards
Zec

Hi All
Following on from the release of the V499 pack, I am pleased to announce the next major steam locomotive development from ZecRail, the VR's well known K class 2-8-0!

This project will cover a large number of versions, released over several different packs. So as to make this easier, the parts of the planned variants will all be created before texture mapping/etc. This should hopefully make it easier for me to map alternate parts to the same area, and hence make alternate variants a bit easier!

Currently, the model shown is built as the first series Ks, approximately as built, with a few distinct features from this batch being visible already!

The tender shown is from the Type 4 D1 locos, and will be rebuilt or replaced once I get to it.

vr-k-class-011.jpg

Regards
Zec

Back