ZecRail Trainz Content

S301

Zec, the owner of ZecRail
Hi All
I figured, since my screenshots end up scattered from one end of the forums to the other, I'd try a single thread for everything. A bit easier than a regular blog IMO, and more conducive to discussion I think :)

This thread will cover work in progress projects that will end up both payware and freeware. If I'm already planning how something will be released, I'll try and include it in the post title.

I'll probably also cross-post a little, generally to either the GMax/3DSMax renders thread or the Aussie Screenshots thread.

To kick things off, my current work in progress. A Baldwin/Victorian Railways V class, based on V499 as it entered service in 1900 (I plan to do other variants later on). These will be a payware release.

vr-v-class-27.jpg

Regards
Zec

Bout time you got this going Zec, Great idea and off to a great start mate well done, That Render reminds me of the Resin Military Scale Models i like it.
Cheers Mick.:)

vr-f-horsebox-03.jpg

One of my many side projects, an 'F' Horsebox, based on numbers 25-36.

Not sure if this will become part of a payware pack, or be released as freeware at this stage.

Zec

vr-f-horsebox-05.jpg

Have finished 'mapping' all the exterior meshes for the F Horsebox. I'm still tinkering with the layout a little, but everything is now mapped at least :)

Once I'm happy with the layout, I can map the interior (this goes to a separate texture, so as to allow for lighting) and then start painting, baking, and exporting :)

Zec

Hi All
I have been working on a few other little projects over the past week or so. These are nice quick little projects to keep going with when I don't have quite as much time to spend creating :)

The first is a VR Gang Shed/Toolshed, which is pretty much finished already (I will look into a weathered version though) :)

vr-gangshed-07.jpg

The second, which was started last night, is a VR 'C' type water column. Still a few more details to add, then on to texturing and so on.

vr-type-c-water-column-01.jpg

Zec

Hi All
I have pretty much finished the water column, except for LOD :) Very pleased with how this one has turned out!

S301_20140122_0003.jpg

Here's a view of it, being used to refill the tender of DD 560 at Healesville.

Zec

Thanks Kingstonflyer, I'm very pleased with how it's turned out :)

Another 'little' project I've been working on is a new set of 'finescale' tracks, which have different weight rail (60lb/yard, 80lb/yard, and likely a 100lb/yard track). So far, I have modeled 60lb and 80lb tracks, with my focus now being on the 80lb versions. As part of this, I have decided to have a go at 'proper' embankment and cutting splines, so as to have semi-accurate embankment and cutting profiles, based on VR drawings. I have got a basic version of the embankment track in-game, with before and after shots below.

Before (without embankment): http://www.zecrail.com/files/vr-track-set/S301_20140124_0000.jpg

After (with embankment): http://www.zecrail.com/files/vr-track-set/S301_20140124_0001.jpg

It's not perfect, but I think it looks a lot better than my old track set which had the embankment formed by ballast! I will tinker a bit more over time, but I am quite happy with it so far :)

Regards
Zec

Hi All
This one is a 'VicTrainz' project, but I'll include it here as it's another project I'm working on lol :)

I've spent tonight building an updated timber trestle bridge kit based around Jerker's original VR bridge kit. It has received a few upgrades, and changes, to make it a bit more prototypical. This is a somewhat larger project due to further variants being created as well.

vr-timber-trestle-kit-new-02.jpg

Current progress has the 20ft span's deck and abutment created, as well as the first set of piers :)

Regards
Zec

Hi All

vr-timber-trestle-kit-new-09.jpg

I have now completed mapping for the deck and abutment. Apart from making it a 'grey' colour, all timber work is done :) Have started adding in bolts/etc on.

Zec

Hi All
It's been a while between posts, but a lot has been going on and for the most part I've been too busy to keep posts here too up to date. Mostly it's been work on the content for Healesville, including the bridge kit (just about finished!), and some new stockyards for the route.

However, with most of this content finished, I've spent a couple of hours tonight working on the textures for the F horsebox. I'm quite pleased with them so far :)

vr-f-horsebox-07.jpg

Apart from applying base colours (so I know what goes where), I've also applied the timber boards to the ends, and the center third of the side :)

Zec

That's a horsebox not a brake van, the curves are not really that tight in Victoria as they where 8 chains radius as the tightest, a 2-8-0 K Class, V Class and J Class are able to get around them but the 2-8-2 N class couldn't.

Cheers.

Have basically finished the textures on the body, and on the bogies. Had a play with some weathering on it, must say I'm quite happy with it. Might just need to give my passenger cars a 'once over' like this in future as well :)

vr-f-horsebox-10.jpg

I've also been testing it in-game, and I think it looks quite good so far. Will look quite a bit better with a normals map, etc, on it :)

S301_20140603_0001.jpg

It won't be 'freeware', but it won't be 'payware' either (in the normal sense anyway). I'm intending on including it with the Healesville route, so long as I can get it finished lol Shouldn't be too hard considering that, so far, the textures have been done in 2 days... :)

Nick, for the most part the VR's trackage had fairly wide curves, which meant that there was no need for lateral movement in the center axle. The VR also designed their trackwork to actually widen the gauge slightly through sharp curves (with a checkrail in place ;) ) to allow for the lateral movement of the wheels (both the center and end). This was also necessary for locomotives, which had pretty much the same rigid wheelbase as these vans, both x-6-x and x-8-x locomotives :)

Zec

Back