"Americanizing" Cabs

Unsure what North American High Speed Passenger Train cab interiors have already been freely created and released to the community, as there aren't too many of those types of trains in the game as it stands. What type of train are looking for, maybe someone may know where a modern cab interior may be obtained from, other than making your very own, of course, but, if there's one available, it'll save you a lot of work.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

You can tell I'm building a fictitious US route because it involves high speed rail! :)

The closest I've seen has been Amtrak's Acela, but the detail in the built-in cab is a bit rudimentary for my tastes. At the risk of burning my graphics card out, I am trying to use more detailed stock.

And I agree. You can do with your files with what you wish. N3V wouldn't have provided us with the tools to do this if they didn't want us to do it in the first place. :)

Small world... I worked as a typesetter on a Varitype Epics 20/20 system and later did some desktop publishing. My bro still works in the industry.

John

Yup. I'm not a lawyer - heck I don't even play one on television :p - but I have had to learn something of how all that tends to work. I'm not advocating ripping off anyone with loopholes, but since so much of the digital property rights laws are still works in progress, it can get confusing, plus this involves different countries to boot. One of the neater things about Trainz versus some other sims is the ability to fiddle with files to create customized content. That's also what makes it as much a "community" as just a game to play.

I wasn't a typesetter, but I do remember the Compugraphics systems that printed out galleys of type that we had to cut down and paste-up into the piece. I worked for a time at a newspaper in the paste-up department and later for a company doing huge fullpage "doubletruck" ads. I worked with older guys who still had the scars from being splashed by molten lead from the Linotype machines they used to operate. Amazing how that industry changed in a very short period.

Okay, I downloaded MK DVT 82133 ONE, MK3 DVT 82301 Wrexham & Shropshire, MML HST weathered, and BR MK3 DVT Intercity Swallow. All use the same left side cab. I am searching on locos above built 2.7 since I have had problems with unsupported earlier assets. Am I just searching wrong? I'm searching on HST and DVT (respectively).

You should not be repeating or supporting this old chestnut.

If OP has acquired the asset legally then they can modify it in any way they want, in exactly the same way that you can modify any physical product that you own. There might be some restrictions in the licence agreement (although I can't see anything that applies to this example) but that is a commercial contractual arrangement so 'illegal' is not relevant.

No, you can't. Not only did you insult me but you're also wrong. Reverse engineering isn't permitted, regardless of distribution

Jamie

The phrase "this old chestnut" is refering to a Myth or Legend...as in; saying that reverse engineering (in and of itself) a piece of software for personal use, on your personal system, is "Illegal". He was not calling you "an old chestnut" [face-palm]

4.4 Except for purposes expressly permitted by law, you must not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software or any of the files that are used by the Software.

The key phrase here is "Except for purposes expressly permitted by law." The clause above can also be interpreted as applying solely to the creations of N3V (software and associated files), not inclusive of third-party creation. I also think it is intended to prevent someone from buying N3V Trainz, reverse engineering it, and then putting out their own train sim game based on what they learned.

Based on my understandings of intellectual property rights law (graphics industry), the law in this case has the goal of "making whole" against damages or loss by a violation of law, rights, agreement, contract, etc. In the instance of a derivative file that I create, that exists solely on my computer for my personal use, that I do not share, redistribute, sell, trade, or profit from, there is no loss or damage to the original creator. I am not depriving them of anything. There's nothing for the law to "make whole." So under those circumstances, what I describe would be permissible.

And that about sums it up. Excerpt, with interpretation.

Okay, I downloaded MK DVT 82133 ONE, MK3 DVT 82301 Wrexham & Shropshire, MML HST weathered, and BR MK3 DVT Intercity Swallow. All use the same left side cab. I am searching on locos above built 2.7 since I have had problems with unsupported earlier assets. Am I just searching wrong? I'm searching on HST and DVT (respectively).

Have you considered, since it is fictional, using either of the Amtrak cabs? AEM-7, or HHP-8. Or for that matter, just an ultra-modern Diesel cab, like from a GEVO.

Hi KingConrail76.

I am looking for a good diesel and AEM-7 and HHP-8 are electric. I have a nice electric loco from a payware company from Poland. I converted the dial art to mph, used Google Translator to translate the labels, and then have been reskinning it with my fictional livery. (The creator was fine with it as long as I don't redistribute or sell if, I should add!) I am finding it annoying, however, to get the catenaries set up and it's a long route. So I was thinking of making much of it diesel and then using the electric for shorter commuter branch lines.

So while the AEM-7 or HHP-8 would technically work, there would be the panto switches that I'd have to repurpose. A small compromise, I guess, but if I could find something where the windows would line up and so on, I'd rather do that.

By the way, the only AEM-7 I see on CM is an Acela livery and under the minimum 2.7 build version 2012 supports. I also don't see any HHP-8 at all. I have read somewhere there had been an HHP-8 but not any more for some reason. Are you aware of a source for them? A search on GEVO just comes up with engine sounds. Should I be searching differently?

By the way, I know the folks at Jointedrail are working on a payware P42. Their stuff is pretty awesome. Maybe I should just wait for that!

Thanks!

No, you can't. Not only did you insult me but you're also wrong. Reverse engineering isn't permitted, regardless of distribution

1. Reverse engineering is not illegal. Depending on the licence agreement, it might be a breach of that agreement. Breaching an agreement is not illegal, although it does expose you to the risk of being sued. There is a very big difference.
2. Examining and/or modifying a file is not reverse engineering. Reverse engineering involves reconstructing some part of either the design or the actual form of the original component. OP is free to modify the files as much as they want without risk of being in breach of any reverse engineering agreement they may have entered into. Flipping or moving an attachment point does not involve reconstructing any part of the original - it's nothing more than an edit of a file.

These sorts of inaccurate claims about supposed illegal activity are a form of bullying, and have no place in the forums.

Hi KingConrail76.

I am looking for a good diesel and AEM-7 and HHP-8 are electric. I have a nice electric loco from a payware company from Poland. I converted the dial art to mph, used Google Translator to translate the labels, and then have been reskinning it with my fictional livery. (The creator was fine with it as long as I don't redistribute or sell if, I should add!) I am finding it annoying, however, to get the catenaries set up and it's a long route. So I was thinking of making much of it diesel and then using the electric for shorter commuter branch lines.

So while the AEM-7 or HHP-8 would technically work, there would be the panto switches that I'd have to repurpose. A small compromise, I guess, but if I could find something where the windows would line up and so on, I'd rather do that.

By the way, the only AEM-7 I see on CM is an Acela livery and under the minimum 2.7 build version 2012 supports. I also don't see any HHP-8 at all. I have read somewhere there had been an HHP-8 but not any more for some reason. Are you aware of a source for them? A search on GEVO just comes up with engine sounds. Should I be searching differently?

By the way, I know the folks at Jointedrail are working on a payware P42. Their stuff is pretty awesome. Maybe I should just wait for that!

Thanks!

There are numerous versions of modern Diesel cabs on Jointed Rail...they say "not for use in other products", but might be worth investigating.

AEM-7 and HHP-8 I believe were 3rd party downloads. AEM-7 here; http://www.freewebs.com/virtual-beech-grove/downloads.htm
--Seems the HHP-8 is not to be found anymore.

Back