USA Pics (electric)

Phil,
Wow, that is great to hear! I'd love to see an updated version of the Riverside Electric Railroad Company 3a. I just ran a good part of the route with Pweiser's P5a Electric Freight engine, just checking out the route. I thought it looked very good in TRS19 as is. Yes, the wires were too low for the pantographs on that engine, but what the heck! It was great fun and I was running an electric on something different than the Philly to Wilmington route.

I wish there were some New Haven routes to play around with - Pweiser's amazing engines really deserve their own routes to do them justice. I think MSGSapper's New England Coastal would be a good start, but it isn't electrified. I tried playing around with putting up catenary and had to give up as my skills aren't that good yet with surveyor. :(

Some sessions would be wonderful, if you choose to update the route. I love these gems that keep resurfacing for those of us coming late to the Trainz magic.

Heinrich505

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

:D

Nice shots Norm. Always cool seeing NH in their glory.

Private route?

I just found that my install in TRS19 of the Riverside Electric Railroad Route 3a was pretty much gutted when I upgraded to 105096. :( Bummer, but I can still run it in TANE.

Heinrich505

Nice shots Norm. Always cool seeing NH in their glory.

Private route?

I just found that my install in TRS19 of the Riverside Electric Railroad Route 3a was pretty much gutted when I upgraded to 105096. :( Bummer, but I can still run it in TANE.

Heinrich505

Yup my New Haven Coastal route which seems to have survived the TRS19 "upgrade" although not many sessions survived. Now I'm afraid to check and see what N3V has done to another good old route. <sigh>

Edit: Well that wasn't too bad. It appears that the TRS19 just screwed with the environmentals on the RER3a, I haven't tried fixing them yet but it seems possible. For some reason all the buildings look flat now though.

Last edited:
Rivercide Electric Railroad

Hi Norm --

"One of very few US routes with a decent length of catenary track. I'd forgotten all about it until someone mentioned Riverside and I re-discovered the electric version. <kuid2:69871:2029:2> RiversideElectricRailroadCo 3a on the DLS. It could do with a rebuild but has held up surprisingly well. I'm not showing any missing assets but it could do with some more flora, industries, and passenger stations."

Well, the TRS19 rebuild is turning out to be a much more extensive and time consuming task than I had imagined. This is the north end of the route. PRB track. PBR textures. TurfFX. Very much work in progress. The reflections come out nice. As do the shadows.

Renamed "Rivercide Electric railroad".

Question:
Should I leave it as a layout? Or convert it into a model railroad?

Phil

Edit:

Rivercide. The brown is the base layer primer.

Rivercide-Electric-Railroad-2.jpg

Rivercide-Electric-Railroad-1.jpg

Last edited:
Phil,
What an exciting project! Thanks so much for revisiting this. Your present electric route is great fun right now, but your remake is going to make this route shine even more.

Either way, Route or Model Railroad, would be great. I'd request that you have portals if you go the model railroad angle, so that you can have through traffic to make the route very busy, like Krashnburn and Bidye. Just my 2 cents, and I'm going to be thrilled with whatever direction you take.

The WIP video was so nice. It already looks very good! :Y:

Heinrich505

A Million Dollars a Mile - In the Rain

NYW%26B-MU-Coaches-2.jpg

Nearly-empty Pressed Steel coaches head for Harlem in the rain under mini-New Haven catenary... typical of the Westchester and Boston (NYW&B). Also known as "The Millionaires' Toy."

New Haven's Dover Springs transition yard where trains change from electric to steam power or visa versa.

A few miles up the rails is the much older NH steam locomotive facility

:D

Last edited:
Zoom

Had to really zoom in to find the trolley pole against the trees in the first shot, but it's there. Yes, great reskin! :wave:

2020-05-06-135535.jpg
2020-05-06-135834.jpg

A quartet of Fairbanks Morse Duel Mode P-12-42Ps pulls a long ore train passed the Mount Seacole Station and a waiting E-1 Electric. The fact that these two types are locomotive are in this photo together dates this photo to exactly February 1958, the only time the two would operate together in winter conditions. By July all but three of the E-1s would be scrapped in anticipation of a new order P-12-42Ps, an order which would never come due to Fairbanks Morse leaving the Locomotive Industry.
2020-05-06-141833.jpg

2020-05-06-141841.jpg

These two photographs capture both a literal and metaphorical sunset. Its the 23rd of September 1992, the winter snows came early that year. A lone FL9P pulls the very last train of gold ore from the Gold Crescent Mine, the mine is so depleted it is only a scant two cars long. After realizing the end of the mine was in sight, the railroad had begun deliberately shortening their trains in order to stretch out revenues enough for them to figure out something else to prevent bankruptcy, citing the mechanical issues which had sidelined the P-12-42Ps. It didn't work. The very next day, 9/24/1992 the Gold Crescent Mine would close for good, and that night the railroad would declare bankruptcy.
(A very very very big thanks to PWeiser for creating the original FL9, P-12-42 and GN Y-1a models!!)

@startrek1011 - Good story, and you chose some fairly difficult cats to (re)skin there. I'm awed by the persistence of Sequoia's shops to make, not one, but *four* of their E-1s... since they'd have to crash a Y-1 and burn two F-6s to get the parts for each of them (g) . Salute!

Back