USA Pics (electric)

Wow, no posts since the middle of July!

Pweiser, I tested all your locomotive pantographs in the "Final Release Candidate" TANESP2HF1 89566 and they all work except the Electroliner and Red Arrow. One pair of poles goes up and down but not the other pair. I'll try to get the E-liners on the tracks to checkout the third rail sparking. I have not driven any of the locomotives as yet but the pantographs and poles go up and down just like they are supposed to. (even the one with the whirling trolley pole)

More later.

Last edited:
OK, the Electroliners are working, I'd forgotten that the poles go up and down depending on the direction of travel. I also verified that the sparks are working for poles, left, and right third rail pickups.

I noticed that the step covers and doors work but I was wondering if there was some way to trigger whether the step covers come up or not since most if not all the stops on the EL in Municipal City are raised platforms?

Hello - just some screens about the building update and replacement process in the Municipal Transit RR.

@ normhart: I could not hold back to take a screen shot from the same point of view as you did. Just look how the route looks like with the new seasonal buildings :)

There is still a lot of work to do - including the third-rail-track.

Here are the screens ...

PS: Unfortunately I dont know how to control the step covers at these cars. I guess the creator arranged doors and step covers in just one animation. So he would need to divide the step covers animation from the door animation - may be this needs to be done in gmax. After that the platforms would need to get something that would a script tell how high the platform it. In my imagination it is not easy to do and several people would need to work together. The car creator, the platform creator and somebody who can do the scripts - well ...
If the car creator already uses two seperate animations for doors and step covers, things will be just a bit easier as the cars would not have to be changed.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
OK, the Electroliners are working, I'd forgotten that the poles go up and down depending on the direction of travel. I also verified that the sparks are working for poles, left, and right third rail pickups.

I noticed that the step covers and doors work but I was wondering if there was some way to trigger whether the step covers come up or not since most if not all the stops on the EL in Municipal City are raised platforms?

Glad to hear that since the code is going to be re-used for the current IRM project (CTA class 5000s) - thanks for making this test. It would be trivial* to produce alternate door animations that leave the trap in place (in fact, one variant of the Liberty Liner is that way since the steps were removed). However, there's no way to determine in-game whether a platform is high- or low-level.

What you might try is copying the door anims from the Liberty Liner motor to a clone of the Electroliner motor. If the mapping is identical, this should yield an Electroliner for high-level platforms. I don't remember if it is. Unnecessary for coach and grill car, their Electroliner versions have no outside doors.

If that doesn't work, I can put the alternate anim files on my homepage for pickup.

*For someone who has all the source files ;) .

Hello - I just had another look to the Electroliners. Many years ago - may be during UTC-times - I have got an Electroliner asset from DLS. But unfortunately I cannot really remember how this used exactly to look like. The Electroliner at the screen looks very nice and so I conclude it must be a new asset. I am not sure, as normhart probably uses different post processing setups than I do.
And of course I have missed a lot of things in the forum during the last time - therefore the question - is the Electroliner a new one?

Thanks in advance :)

I don't know of another one but it is possible I suppose the one I have has the Motor unit as <kuid:520526:2497> Electroliner Motor - North Shore by pweiser and is available on TPR. As I remember there were LOD problems with the original that required tweaking. I don't know if that was ever addressed.

As usual your route is looking stupendous! The night shots are pretty fine, what does a winter night shot look like?

http://trainzproroutes.org/tprdownloads/index.php?act=view&id=5046 Parts
http://trainzproroutes.org/tprdownloads/index.php?act=view&id=5047 Motor
http://trainzproroutes.org/tprdownloads/index.php?act=view&id=5048 Tavern
http://trainzproroutes.org/tprdownloads/index.php?act=view&id=5049 Coach

Last edited:
Hello - I just had another look to the Electroliners. Many years ago - may be during UTC-times - I have got an Electroliner asset from DLS. But unfortunately I cannot really remember how this used exactly to look like. The Electroliner at the screen looks very nice and so I conclude it must be a new asset. I am not sure, as normhart probably uses different post processing setups than I do.
And of course I have missed a lot of things in the forum during the last time - therefore the question - is the Electroliner a new one?

Thanks in advance :)
Yes it is TUME, I supplyed Paul with all of the drawings and references photos he need to make the new Electroliner for my IRM for Trainz project. He has made a few other electrics as well and we have plans for many more to come. Plus did you get the drawings I sent you of those PCC cars TUME? Also I was told by one of IRM volunteers that the color of the bogeys for both Liners were just black and not red so expect a future update on that.

Last edited:
There was, indeed, an earlier Electroliner. I've seen it.. maybe in a YouTube video. Might have been UTC or before, and may have been payware - I joined the game during early TS2009 but with a copy of UTC to learn on. As I recall it looked pretty good, not as shiny as we've since learned to make them. (Come to think of it, might have been MSTS, but I think UTC or pre-UTC Trainz.)

I don't know of another one but it is possible I suppose the one I have has the Motor unit as <kuid:520526:2497> Electroliner Motor - North Shore by pweiser and is available on TPR. As I remember there were LOD problems with the original that required tweaking. I don't know if that was ever addressed.

As usual your route is looking stupendous! The night shots are pretty fine, what does a winter night shot look like?

http://trainzproroutes.org/tprdownloads/index.php?act=view&id=5046 Parts
http://trainzproroutes.org/tprdownloads/index.php?act=view&id=5047 Motor
http://trainzproroutes.org/tprdownloads/index.php?act=view&id=5048 Tavern
http://trainzproroutes.org/tprdownloads/index.php?act=view&id=5049 Coach

Correction

What you might try is copying the door anims from the Liberty Liner motor to a clone of the Electroliner motor. If the mapping is identical, this should yield an Electroliner for high-level platforms. I don't remember if it is. Unnecessary for coach and grill car, their Electroliner versions have no outside doors.

If that doesn't work, I can put the alternate anim files on my homepage for pickup...

Correction to the above: Just looked at the source files, and for some reason I actually installed flooring in place of the former traps in the Liberty Liner; the above will not work (nothing for Electroliner passengers to step on at high level platforms). Will generate alternate anim files. Sorry!

It isn't really that big a deal Paul. I just thought that you might have built something in.

Well, *this* is embarrassing. When I went to create the no-trap (high level) anims, I found footprints indicating it had already been done at one time. Furthermore, as you'd hoped, alternate anim files for high-level platforms are actually included in the distribution asset. All you need to do to implement them is to edit the config so "right_door.anim" and "right_door.kin" read "right_door_hi.anim" and "right_door_hi.kin" respectively; same for left. Not sure why I did that other than to prepare for the Liberty Liner variant, which turned out to require something different anyway.

Should not be much trouble to make that change.

No help on making the determination of platform type in-game: presumably a trigger could be set before a platform indicating to equipped trains that the platform is one type or the other. I'm not really much of a scripter, though: once I get something working, I just copy and paste the heck out of it. It would work as @Tume described, with a separate set of anims controlling the traps and activated or not depending on platform type trigger status.

Hello - I guess you found these animation examples in some tutorial things - right? Two different animation.kin files in one car-config for both sides makes just sense if the same car is able to collect some data from the platforms. I guess the car has a script - or the function has already been implemented in the core of trainz making extra scrips obsolate. I beliefe the car "communicates" with the platform. There must be something which tells trainz on whitch side the platform is located - right or left. And another thing tells trainz or the script about the platform height. The trainz-function or the script than calls the anim-left-hi.kin or so - just the animation file matching to the collected information from the platform. I guess thats the way it woks.
Now it will be necessary to find the example of tutorial platform which provides these information. Than it would be possible to learn how everything works and how new platforms would have to be arranged to support this kind og door animation.
Even I could implement the right things into my plattforms as well because I need to update it anyway to implement season change at it.
I will not be able to check the forum during the next days, but I will return on Tuesday - so I hope :)

@ Matt: Yes I have got your drawings thank you fery much for it. Unfortunately I could not get started yet.

Have a nice weekend ...

Last edited:
A Simpler Hack

My hack for operating passenger doors other than the left and right is simpler than what you suggest. The game has a built-in function which automatically opens and closes the specially named (i.e. hard-wired) left and right animated meshes when at a suitable platform (they won't open if no seats are available, or there are no passengers on the platform of types the car can carry - they're cargo). What I do is monitor the anim status, i.e. current frame number, of those two anims (door is open when they're not at frame 0) and run other anims as the situation requires. For example, if the car is coupled at that end, I open the end door for passage up and down the train at a platform. If not, not (to prevent passengers from falling on the sleepers).

The trap (and other step animations such as the airline-style steps on New Haven stainless equipment) animation for each side would be separate from the hard-wired door anim. When the hard-wired door opens, the script would check a register (set by platform type triggers) to determine whether the stairs should be lowered and trap raised (low-level platform) or not (high-level).

Should probably move or copy this discussion to the scripting threads - it doesn't relate strictly to electrics.

Hello - I guess you found these animation examples in some tutorial things - right? Two different animation.kin files in one car-config for both sides makes just sense if the same car is able to collect some data from the platforms. I guess the car has a script - or the function has already been implemented in the core of trainz making extra scrips obsolate. I beliefe the car "communicates" with the platform. There must be something which tells trainz on whitch side the platform is located - right or left. And another thing tells trainz or the script about the platform height. The trainz-function or the script than calls the anim-left-hi.kin or so - just the animation file matching to the collected information from the platform. I guess thats the way it woks.
Now it will be necessary to find the example of tutorial platform which provides these information. Than it would be possible to learn how everything works and how new platforms would have to be arranged to support this kind og door animation.
Even I could implement the right things into my plattforms as well because I need to update it anyway to implement season change at it.
I will not be able to check the forum during the next days, but I will return on Tuesday - so I hope :)

@ Matt: Yes I have got your drawings thank you fery much for it. Unfortunately I could not get started yet.

Have a nice weekend ...

Well, *this* is embarrassing. When I went to create the no-trap (high level) anims, I found footprints indicating it had already been done at one time. Furthermore, as you'd hoped, alternate anim files for high-level platforms are actually included in the distribution asset. All you need to do to implement them is to edit the config so "right_door.anim" and "right_door.kin" read "right_door_hi.anim" and "right_door_hi.kin" respectively; same for left. Not sure why I did that other than to prepare for the Liberty Liner variant, which turned out to require something different anyway.

Should not be much trouble to make that change.

No help on making the determination of platform type in-game: presumably a trigger could be set before a platform indicating to equipped trains that the platform is one type or the other. I'm not really much of a scripter, though: once I get something working, I just copy and paste the heck out of it. It would work as @Tume described, with a separate set of anims controlling the traps and activated or not depending on platform type trigger status.

Ha! I suspected as much but was too lazy to sus it out myself. Thanks Paul! (you know what? I think we talked about this before some time.)

The Big W*

@slenderman8888 and @normhart - great shots (Cos Cob needs coal)! Here's another working electric, a little further west (its west end is a lot further west than its east end)...

794377f152c43161f8e10032c86552b8.jpg

2925acf76ab6108ef87812aaaae51817.jpg

*Big W = no relation to "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World."

Last edited:
Back