USA Pics (electric)

Small catenary service units like these were common in the US in the early days but there are none in trainz that I know of so I pressed a Spanish unit into service on the Dover Springs Branch.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cute little service unit. Have a picture somewhere of a GN line car converted from a doodlebug (makes sense, self-propelled when the wire is de-energized or broken).

Huh, I just looked at my pic and realized that the railcar is clearly over gauge for standard gauge tracks, ah well, guess I'll have to stick to my repaints of Ben's work cars for now.

:D

Last edited:
Small catenary service units like these were common in the US in the early days but there are none in trainz that I know of so I pressed a Spanish unit into service on the Dover Springs Branch.

Wow I had not seen it, nice screenshot. :sleep: :hehe: How would a similar American unit be? :eek:

My goodness, the driver of that transfer table would need to pack a lunch if he was taking a locomotive from one end to the other! (And is that a Howard Johnson's on the other side of the mainline?)

My goodness, the driver of that transfer table would need to pack a lunch if he was taking a locomotive from one end to the other! (And is that a Howard Johnson's on the other side of the mainline?)

It's a full time job! Another one of Ben Dorsey's wonderous assets. (and that's Wilmington Station actually) :D

I think it odd that 139 (if not all) of the GG1'a were built at the Juniata Shops in Altoona Pa, tested on a static roller bearing test bed, and were towed more than 100 miles, as Altoona areas had no overhead catenary, until reaching Harrisburg Pa.

Last edited:
Norm,
Those are such cool screenshots. All those GG1s, along with the other wonderous PRR engines. I grew up just outside of Wilmington when all this was going on, and really never knew anything about the PRR Wilmington Yard. We'd visited the station many times, and it was a unique and interesting place to check out, but my father never took me over to the yard to look at it.

Is that the Northeast Corridor Route? And as for the transfer table, is that on the DLC? If they are available, I've got to get them. More "must have" items. Thanks for posting the great shots.

Heinrich505

Norm,
Those are such cool screenshots. All those GG1s, along with the other wonderous PRR engines. I grew up just outside of Wilmington when all this was going on, and really never knew anything about the PRR Wilmington Yard. We'd visited the station many times, and it was a unique and interesting place to check out, but my father never took me over to the yard to look at it.

Is that the Northeast Corridor Route? And as for the transfer table, is that on the DLC? If they are available, I've got to get them. More "must have" items. Thanks for posting the great shots.

Heinrich505

Yup that is a severely modified NEC Wilmington - Philadelphia route. I did find a few photos of the Wilmington shops in the days of steam but not enough to really build on so I just made stuff up. :D The transfer table and the two building bordering it as well as the overhead crane in the larger building are all part of bendorsey's Engine Complex set of 13 buildings, transfer tables, and roundhouses. They are all on the DLS.

Edit;
I stand corrected that is the Wilmington South Station

This is one of Ben's large roundhouses I added.

And this the passenger car shops, power station, and mallet house I recently (within the last couple of years) added. Also by Ben I think.

I was really just looking for an excuse to use Ben's stuff. :D

Last edited:
Norm,

Never a bad thing, using Ben’s stuff. :D

The yard in Wilmington was very big. In Google Earth, the sad footprint of a very large roundhouse is still present. The one you added would fit there just fine. I’ve seen photos of the Wilmington shop working on at least 6 GG1 engines and some other engines at one time.

The yard is still very large and apparently used quite a bit, but of course nothing like it was in the heyday for Pennsy. I love your pics.

Heinrich505

South of Philly, a GG1 passenger consist exits 30th Street Station as a freight pulled by a P5aM crosses ahead on the elevated tracks. Both are headed southbound.

HhFmiy3j_o.jpg

The GG1 screams down the main line at over 100 mph, leaving the P5aM way behind. As the GG1 whips past the Marcus Hook refineries and crosses into Delaware, it meets a steam engine freight heading north to PA and blasts its horn in a salute of respect.

MN9Ra8Iv_o.jpg

Back