USA Pics (electric)

That sucks the US closed so many electrified lines...

Sad, but economically inescapable. The interurbans succumbed to subsidized roads, GN to better tunnel technology, and the Milwaukee Road to a favorable market for scrap copper. The distances are just too great in the US for mainline electrification outside the Northeast.

I guess for people who value hope over engineering, we could try selling transcon electrification powered by solar cells and wind turbines (g) .

Here in Philadelphia, our commuter rail system is still 100% electrified. And we still have Interurbans, I actually live within eye/earshot of the Media Line. Every 20 minutes, trolley cars come rolling on by. It's actually also my way to get to work in Media. We also have the Norristown High Speed Line which runs on 3rd Rail. Though it getting work done so it's a mess at the moment. I'm somewhat lucky to be in this area.

While my Bridgerissa Commuter Railway is suppose to be set in the Southeast, it still has elements of the Metro-North, SEPTA Regional Rail and NJ Transit which all run electrified commuter operations here in NE.

Municipal coal delivery

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

:D

@escd84 - Very nice! Makes you think of how the legacy PRR catenary system - "Standard Railroad of the World" - just keeps soldiering on, almost as fundamental as the steel rails themselves.

2018-05-29_225327.jpg

Here is another look at PWeiser's Laurel Line freight motors. I've been waiting for these for a long time. I want to thank Paul for putting up with all my changes and getting the job done.

The Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley RR (Laurel Line) has three nearly identical Baldwin/Westinghouse freight motors. #401 was the original and it was built in 1895. It was bought by the Laurel Line in 1906. #402 was bought a year later and #403 was built at the L&WV Scranton Carshop in 1917-1919. These freight motors were used up until 1953. That year the electric was turned off and the L&WV moved over to diesel units and rented switchers out from the Lackawanna Railroad. All three freight motors were scrapped in 1956.

My ITS

Working with a lot of interurbans lately, and needing a "trolley stage" on which to display them, I'm building a TS2009 route representing a fictitious 1920-1960 interurban railroad (the ITS - Indianois Transport Syndicate). It runs from the small town of Sauk (also known as Sauk Court House and Sauk Center, and the only part built so far) to the junction at Preble from which lines will also run east to Morganville and south to the metropolis of St. Francis on the River. Equipment is eclectic.

Approaching-Sauk%2C-Indianois.jpg

Freight motor on its morning run approaches "downtown" Sauk

Approaching-to-get-Out-of-town-Mail.jpg

About to pick up mail on the town circle - a bag of mail for out-of-town addresses

Valley-Country.jpg

Another loaner freight motor heads for the industrial spur (note - the valley backdrop was later replaced by cornfields).

Aside from the locomotives, home-made items so far include track with and without ties, but always with low-level (6.2m) trolley wire included; trolley poles and pulloff wire sets to conform. And a 1940s green US Mail box. :)

(The quality is 2009, but track is *so* much easier to make pre-2009!) ;)

Farewell Camelot

Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby,
Can you tell me where he's gone?
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill
With Abraham, Martin and John.

@Blutorse4792 - as I live and breath, painted-on washboard coaches. I believe the New Haven did that, too, for some older varnish. Nice pics (and some North Shore equipment coming soon).

Always liked E-44s, they have a unique look... they either look very long because they're so low, or very low because they're so long. Probably the latter - if they were really low, their pantos would have to reach higher than they do. :D

I didn't have to do anything to get the trolley poles to show up on it other than install 727 itself. They don't actually function in TS12 or T:ANE though.

I really like the North Shore Line pics.
I would post some shots myself, but I lost most of them when my hard drive crashed three months ago... :(

Back