USA Pics (electric)

So den I axed him...

So-I-Axed-Him-2.jpg

So den I axed him, I sez,

So-I-Axed-Him-1.jpg

"Whose else's bonds ya gonna buy, anyway, de other guys'?"

Green-Paint.jpg

(And postwar, lots of surplus green paint and lots of men to paint mailboxes. Yellow paint for trolleys, not so much.)

Interesting Idea

Would love to use a Bi-polar here, maybe a future project for PWeiser? :D

Someone's signature, associated with Avery-Drexel, included a bi-polar as I recall, so I assumed one existed for Trainz and never considered building one. Very long ago, I did build one just as a 3d display model...

Ancient-Bipolar-Model.jpg

It might even be possible to use this mesh, though it looks a bit distorted when displayed on newer software. There's always differential scaling, so long as the wheels stay round.

Interesting idea... :Y:

That model would belong to TUME, the creator of the Avery-Drexel Project. He made almost all of the MILW electrics there were, except for the Switcher that you made. His Bi-polar and Quill drive were never released due to the fact he was unsatisfied that they didn't meet current standards. He said recently that he is trying to upgrade ALL of his stuff to match TRS19 standards, but that might take a while because he has made so much stuff, that's why I suggested that maybe you could make one since you make other amazing electric engines and your models look great on TUME's route. He actually just uploaded a video today that has many of his early TRS06 clips where you can see his Bi-polars, Boxcabs, and his MILW S-3 model. If you were to finish your model I would be glad to help make many of the schemes that it came with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NReQa3qgdKQ&t=1647s

Very Impressive

Watched the video - tremendously impressive. I do try to avoid making assets that have already been done, but as you say, a TS2009 bipolar built for seamless integration into TS2019 could stand in for TUME's eventual product until it's released.

Added to job list, right after the present North Shore project. Did a little research - two basic meshes (pre- and post-1953) and about 2 1/2 color schemes (original, three-color with and without whiskers, and yellow). Getting everything to articulate properly will be a trick and might require some compromises, but basically an extension of an NYC bipoloar.

That's assuming the New England Coastal doesn't have some more work :)

That's awesome to hear! I have a HO scale model of a bi-polar, it is a really accurate recreation of it, maybe I could figure out how all the trucks and bodys articulate from it so it would be easier to make in game. There is also one more scheme, (which i plan on doing if you make the EP2) E1 was temporally painted in a special scheme. I am aware of only one photo of it, and it's a very popular one. Photo: https://www.microcosmologist.com/bl...perimental-Olympian-Hiawatha-paint-scheme.jpg I know you can add light attachment points to bogies, but I am unsure if it works in TS2009.

They were? I've never seen any photos or read any text that said they came in dark green. I thought the only dark color the Bi-polars wore was the early Black.

They were? I've never seen any photos or read any text that said they came in dark green. I thought the only dark color the Bi-polars wore was the early Black.

This is correct, no Bipolar ever wore green. Only black, orange/maroon (ft. silver, sometimes), and finally yellow/grey.

"For the first 30 years, the Bipolars' paint scheme remained basic black. Occasionally, they were given white trim, but no colors were applied until after the arrival of the streamlined Olympian Hiwatha. Like other Hiawathas of the 1940s, the Olympian's cars were orange with a broad maroon band at window level. Diesels and steam engines used for pulling Hiawatha trains in the Midwest were painted maroon and orange to complement their trains, but no standard pattern existed. In 1948, [Bipolar] E1 was given orange ends, silver stripes, maroon side bands, and a dark gray top. It was a paint job inspired by the pattern of the Fairbanks-Morse diesel sets assigned to the Olympian Hiawatha. In 1949, [Bipolar] E3 was painted in a different Hiawatha pattern. This one had a maroon band around the locomotive and silver wings on the nose. It resembled the Fairbanks-Morse diesel sets that had chrome plated wings on their fronts.

"E3 was the Bipolar displayed at the 1949 Chicago Railroad Fair. After its return, the silver wings pattern became standard for all but E1. This remained so until 1952, when a pattern identical to the one used on Little Joes and 1950 era diesels was adopted.

"The Deer Lodge shops repainted [the Bipolars] in mid-1958 to conform with the Milwaukee's new, Union Pacific inspired, yellow and gray passenger paint scheme. The railroad adopted these colors after acquiring the contract to haul Union Pacific streamliners between Omaha and Chicago. It was proud to provide this service, and thus adopted the UP colors system-wide for its own passenger trains."

src: Noel T. Holley, The Milwaukee Electrics (1999)

The Bipolars also went through a number of visible changes for those first 30 years - with changes to the sandboxes, cooling coils, boiler room doors, air compressor piping, hot air vent stacks, and numberboards. They also used high pitched steam whistles until the 1930s until they received air horns. My favourite detail is that their headlights were replaced with new sealed-beam headlights in the late 1940s, but some Bipolars got 3 bulbs, and others got 4. Which numbers got which? Who knows! Bipolars are fun.

Cheers,
SM

Thanks to all who are researching this! I was in some doubt about the earliest dark colored scheme - I've learned not to trust models shown online because, first, they may be wrong and, second, the color rendition may be off.

Could have been black not dark green as it was some time ago that I looked at where ever it was, could even have been a B&W photo.

What are those?

Always good to see some trolleys working ;) . What are those wooden truss-rod... expresss cars? They look neat.

Always good to see some trolleys working ;) . What are those wooden truss-rod... expresss cars? They look neat.

They are CERA Interurban Trailers just released from TrainzForge. :D They look especially good with the North Shore Motors IMO.

Last edited:
Back