Car Tagger

First off let me thank you Wolfc for creating this rule.
I have this rule v2 installed in TS 12 update 4 and it works fine.
Other then what you said you are changing I would like a way to make the window smaller.

For those just starting to use this you will need a list of the Industries names,what they load/unload, with and what distric there in. (lumber load @ lumber mill @ Shy town)
Thank you Wolfc

Seems to be a route size limit, using SP1 HF4 and V2 in the following routes the session won't save:

WM & B&O Mega Route Native Mode,<kuid:73500:100009>
UMR-TS12-SUMMER,<kuid2:95512:100024:9>
Murchison 2 - Hi detail,<kuid2:47439:134444:7>
FALL-INDIANA V2,<kuid:458053:100468>

Those large routes work in 44922

These worked no problem using SP1 HF4 and V2:

Springfield Industrial District,<kuid:447264:1035>
Port Ogden & Northern,<kuid2:69871:100334:1>
Harbor Master,<kuid2:69871:100709:1>

Harold

Last edited:
Downloaded latest version from the Black Pages, sorry that sounds so sinister.

:Y::clap::udrool:

Thank you, keep up the good work
Harold

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Newest version solves the save problem with large routes in SP1 HF4 (61388)

:Y::Y:

Harold

Uploading v3, see the first post for the changes. I think with showing the industry status makes the option of 'Only match current industry needs' pretty obsolete. But I think it should be left off anyway. :)

I'm still a bit concerned with showing all cars enroute. I tried to optimize this as best I could, but it still means each car on the entire map is checked during tagging.

Note that tag by block is in the tag window as an option. Again for speed. Having it in the train view window means recalculating it for every camera change. A block can only be tagged from front to back. Not the other way around. This means you split a block by tagging it halfway.
Also note that blocks are by asset of the vehicle, so different style box cars are not blocked. In theory I could block according to the industry queue, but then it might go awry for different combination of cars.

I'll not be adding any features to do tag queues, so tag to 'Industry 1', then 'Industry 2', and finally 'Industry 3'. That's outside of the intent of destination tagging.
Still contemplating surveyor functionality, but there is no good car selection mechanism I know of.

Hi wolf --

"Still contemplating surveyor functionality ... ."

Please. For us operations fanatics, this is the one feature that would equal anything being done with Kickstarter.

I must say, it is great to have someone else take a look at this complex process of giving cars meaningful destinations. I've been on vacation away from the Internet - (soooo relaxing) - while this thread got started, other wise I would have jumped in sooner.

I have been recently contemplating how to take CMTM to the next level - which is working with interactive industries and speculating what the proposed Stretch Goal #10 - Prototypical Freight System would look like. I put together some thoughts that I have posted on this thread.

I must agree with Phil - you must be able to set-up the system in Surveyor so when you get to driver, you can drive without any thought on how it should be set-up.

wolf - check out my thoughts on what a new system might look like. It might give you some additional insight as to a more comprehensive solution to this very complex topic.

David

The part that I'm contemplating is the 'how', not the 'if'. :)

There are no hooks in the surveyor vehicle details screen that allow for custom content (AFAIK).

As for an industry manager, that is far beyond scope of what I was trying to achieve here. :p
For me a simple means of tagging a car is sufficient. Should we ever do an industry manager it should be no problem building it on top of car tagger. (Maybe add some library calls or messages.)

Although the Surveyor option would be desirable, the ability to transfer the Car Tagger list between routes, as in I-Portals, would be more of a plus for me.
Thanks,
John

Try this, please

OK - here is a workaround for getting a tagged session from one person to another.

I'd be really grateful if you guys could try it. At this stage think of it as a "proof of concept".

Download this zip file:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=47BF7057B10D1B30!132&authkey=!ADoLQ5O7Mg0MeLI&ithint=file,.zip

Extract the file to a temporary folder.

The cdp file contains a route I've been working on plus a session. It also contains the latest version of Car Tagger - I had to get it off the DLS back pages.

Install the cdp file using Content Manager and capture any missing dependencies. From a clean install of TS12 + SP1 + Hot Fixes I had to download 81 dependencies. Most of these are commodities. If you have any of my routes installed the downloads may be just three or four.

The zip file also contains a folder "inglenook car tagger test - 1-01-2014, 11.07".

Copy this to TS12/UserData/cache/sessions.

Now we should be good to go.

Start TS12, then Select Route / Inglenook / View Session / inglenook car tagger test - 1-01-2014, 11.07 / Resume Session.

The cars are all tagged. Use Esc to close the Tagger window. Mouse click on the locomotive to drive the saved session. Moving backward or forward (- and + keys) along the consist will bring up the Tagger window. Again, Esc will close it.

Use the Map View (Ctrl-M toggle on/off) to locate the industries designated in the Tagger window. All industries have the prefix "IND". The appropriate freight cars will unload or load when spotted between the yellow marks at the correct industry.

Tell me how it goes.

Phil

Unknown Location: SP SD45,<kuid2:45324:100139:1>

Have everything else except 20ft Container Steel Coil 2 product,<kuid2:97008:48142:1>, a commodity for LARS IndustRail v3,<kuid2:69871:2137:1>

When I open the saved session, there are no traincars on the route.

Were you able to successfully restart the session after it was saved?

David

Last edited:
Phil,

Finally got it installed in my Virgin Trainz installation.

Has one consist with one 4 bay hopper loaded with coal and two flat cars, one loaded with coils. Destinations are IND Coal Pit, IND Truck Load 2 and IND Steel Coil

Now, when these cars are delivered and loaded or unloaded, will I have to assign another destination?

David

The saved session is not needed.

Tagging the cars indicates industries with 0%. Those would be the logical destinations.

After unloading they would probably go off-world thru the portals just like real life.

Harold

Hi David --

Thanks.

It did work for you? Did you manage to find the industries to unload the coal and coil; and load the truck? And did they unload and load?

"Now, when these cars are delivered and loaded or unloaded, will I have to assign another destination?"

No. It's just to see if we can share tagged freight cars. It looks as if we can, but it needs an external hosting site and instructions on how to get the saved driving session back into Trainz.

Phil

Last edited:
Harold --

The way that I think that this might work on that particular little switching layout is:

1. An AI with a consist of loaded and empty freight cars leaves the Fiddle Yard and stops at the Arrival Track.
  2. The AI locomotive uncouples and refuels at the Loco Depot.
  3. A switcher driven by the Player attaches to the consist. The cars are all tagged. The Player reads the details in the Tagger screen.
  4. The switcher loads and unload the cars using the information shown in the Tagger screen.
  5. When all the cars have been loaded / unloaded the switcher spots the cars on the Departure Track, the AI locomotive attaches and returns to the Fiddle Yard.
  6. This triggers another AI and the process continues.

But all of this is contingent on somehow being able to share a tagged session.

After I have delivered and the car has been loaded or unloded, I tried to tag it for a portal, but got the dreaded red bug. Threre were two items reported:

ThreadException line 482 cartagger.gs
Soup.SetNamedTag>parent soup is locked line 454

Wolf, take a look at my cmtm code to see how a subsoup is revised. CMTMSystem4.gs lines 642 - 652 is a good example. You have to make a new soup, then copy the subsoup you want to modify into the new soup, change the copy and then insert the copy into the main soup.

It would be nice if the second destination was placed automatically. One could randomly assiign portals. That way there could be some actual yard activity of sorting the cars that are picked up.

David

Would it be possible to assign industries with the lowest percentage to cars emitted from a portal?

I know that tagging could be done manually but having the program assign them would add realism.

Then they could be dropped off at a receiving yard and dispersed by a way freight.

Harold

Back