Car Tagger

wolfc

Based on CMTM I was thinking maybe it would be possible to do destination tags with interactive industries.

So I wrote up a Car Tagger library and a Car Tagger Install rule (<KUID:30097:100004>). Just add it to your session and give it a go.

Note that right now not all type of cars are supported yet. First priority will be to get those on UMR Short Route working. :)

Please post your comments and suggestions here.

v0:
- initial release
v1:
- sort destinations
- empty car was matched by an input queue
- not all queues were properly checked for loaded cars
v2:
- fallback to GetLocalisedName if no CMTM tags are found
- reworked checking in/output queues (this will highlight buggy assets though)
- allow free-format destination
v3:
- configurable options for free-format engine/car, check industry needs (v1 style destination matching)
- number of cars enroute
- industry queue status
v4:
- fix locked soup on restored save
v5:
- fixes for multiplayer
v6 (TRS22):
- fixes for TRS22
v7 (upload queue):
- workaround for https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...nchronouslyLoadGameObjectByID-does-not-return

Last edited:
Simple, yet very effective! While I'll stick with CMTMS, I can see using this on other peoples routes with out having to convert them.
:cool:

John just download the instal rule. Then when in surveyor install it, using the session editor the same way you'd install any rule. The put some cars and some MINS on the route and it dose the rest.

I did a little testing and one addition I suggest would be portals as an industry/destination. The route that I am running is a hump yard with 3 I-Portals and the majority of the cars are routed there. I like the idea or humping a train from a destination list, good work.

John

Uploading next version. This will add any industry without queues as a possible destination (e.g. Portals, Scale Houses etc).
It also sorts the destinations alphabetically.
I fixed two issues:
1. empty car was matched by an input queue
2. not all queues were properly checked for loaded cars

I played with this and a suggestion would be a option to have destinations assigned randomly.

Also what do you need to do to support a car?

For a car to be supported it needs to have the correct category-class starting with an 'X'. I believe almost every car uploaded has that set correctly. (Although this still doesn't work 100% correctly with matching industries. At least I saw a full Logs 50ft Clinch car not showing a Saw Mill destination.)

The second part is CMTM extension tags:
Code:
extensions
{
reportingmark-32711 "C&NW"
carnumber-32711 "1234" or ”x”
}
Please read the CMTM 3 manual on how these work. But I plan to make these optional in the next version. Now the Car Tagger will show an empty company and car number. I'll let it fallback to the simple localized name of the car.

As for assigning destinations randomly, I considered different options. If they were assigned randomly industries will sooner or later run out the cars and players who just want to run a certain manifest will be left out a bit. Another option I considered was analyzing industry queues and vehicles in transit, but I think this will consume too much CPU. So currently I would like to keep it plain and light.
Note that I'm thinking about re-writing the waybill system. It would be much better if it is sorted by product. (No promises though. :))

For more prototypical car tagging you should really stick to CMTM. It does an excellent job at that.

Been playing with this, what I have seen so far this is really great.

Much simpler than CMTM, which is great if a route is set up for the system.

Harold

EDIT: Downloaded the new version:Y:

Last edited:
For a car to be supported it needs to have the correct category-class starting with an 'X'. I believe almost every car uploaded has that set correctly. (Although this still doesn't work 100% correctly with matching industries. At least I saw a full Logs 50ft Clinch car not showing a Saw Mill destination.)

The second part is CMTM extension tags:
Code:
extensions
{
reportingmark-32711 "C&NW"
carnumber-32711 "1234" or ”x”
}
The correct "category-class" is all that is required, some cars are wrong. The CMTM extension tags aren't required but the car number is nice in the display.

Harold

Last edited:
I think I'll not use the category-class check anymore, but rather if a car has queues. "TTX Econo" for example has the wrong category-class.

I also found out why the log cars were not matched with the saw mill. The saw mill queue was full and I currently rely on Vehicle.CanUnloadProductToQueue (/ CanLoadProductFromQueue), which uses ProductQueue.TransferProductFrom to virtually transfer 1 item. Alas not a single item could be moved. :)
Since this is not the intent of the car tagger, I consider it a bug. But I can see how some people might see this as a feature. Maybe I can make it a configurable option.

Another thing I'm considering is making the destination of a locomotive a free-format text field (if that is even possible). That way you can add stuff in like: "A-CALHAL-27" (Auto-racks leaving Caldwell at the 27th for Halden).

Made the changes. It does look however that some assets expose an input queue where there should be none, like Iron Ore Mine Tipple <kuid:453099:100053>.

Hi wolf --

I played around with Tagger for a few minutes this morning. I'm impressed once I got the hang of it.

I suspect, though, that without some explanation about how it should be set up and how it functions it might be too much of a challenge for some users to configure.

Would it upset you if, in the next couple of days, assuming I have time, I put together a youtube video?

Phil

I'll be making one more update pretty soon:

• show # of in transit cars
  • tag by block (instead of single car)

You might want to wait for v3 then, before making a video. Apart from that go for it.

Thanks.

I'll wait for v3.

Question - is it possible to assign two or more industries in sequence for a particular car?

For example, in words the task might be:

"Load the BNSF flat car with steel tubes at Industry 1 and then unload them at Industry 2 (then possibly load the car with concrete pipes at Industry 3 ... )."

Or at this stage can it only accomodate:

""Load the BNSF flat car with steel tubes at Industry 1."

Phil

Anyone get this to work in patched SP1 or higher.

The session just disappears after adding the Car Tagger Rule.

Works in 49922 great.

Harold

wolf --

You must be wondering "What on earth is he talking about" in my post two above.

My mistake - I've only just discovered out that the cars can only be tagged in Driver.

My question should be:

Can you make it so that the creator of a session can actually tag the cars when constructing the session - that is, in the session layer. Then when jumping into Driver the cars are already tagged so that the person driving the session knows where to deliver the cars.
_____

Harold --

Have you installed both components, "Car Tagger Install Rule" and "Car Tagger"?

When I installed it the morning in TS12 without SP1, Content Manager captured both. This afternoon in TS12 + SP1 I had to use the back pages FTP download to catch "Car Tagger".

I've also found in TS12 + SP1 that it works just fine with the "BNSF Flat car 917504". But it will not work with the "Grain HP" commodity of the "BN grain hopper 4 bay 01". It fails to identify the Multiple Industry New configured to consume the grain. Both freight cars are built-ins.

Phil

Last edited:
THIS IS FANTASTIC
Needs additional work, but wow so much easier than CMTM.........

Thanks to Wolf, we now have the beginning of T:ANE Stretch Goal in TS12.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You........

Back