Google Maps Railfanning Section (READ RULES!)

That's a Loooong string of hoppers behind it! I tried to go find the end, but ran out of line of sight before I got there...

That's a Loooong string of hoppers behind it! I tried to go find the end, but ran out of line of sight before I got there...

That sure is. I went up on some bridges over the line, but the side roads were photographed at a different date so they're not there. The P&W handled the coal trains up to the Bow coal fired power plant up in Bow New Hampshire, which is just outside Concord. That power plant has been shutdown so these are probably surplus coal hoppers that are no longer needed for the power plant.

For years the Bow power plant was served by the Pennsylvania, NYC, and later Penn Central and Conrail with a partnership with the old Boston and Maine. Recently, about 5 years ago, Pan Am lost the contract and the P&W got it and ran it until the end. Now no one has it.

Last edited:
Whoops, thanks for the correction.:) It must have been a typo. That's interesting about how they used to do a dinner train. I think WM does something like that too.

Whoops, thanks for the correction.:) It must have been a typo. That's interesting about how they used to do a dinner train. I think WM does something like that too.

Yeah the WM still does, but that's quite a distance from me. The P&W was a nice outfit from what I remember. They used to attend the NMRA and Greenburg shows and one time the hostess recognized me and said hello. That was about 20 years ago now so I don't know what's up now.

If you Google Lapwai, Idaho, you will be able to follow miles of center beam flats that were used by the lumber industry. Not as much need now. And before that they had stored miles of hoppers.

I don't know! If it was out west here, I might have guessed that someone laid out a streak of fire retardant from an aircraft. That is really a lot like it would look, especially since it appears to have come down on the trees from above and is laid out in a straight line. It would appear to be north to south, as it tapers to the south. But why it would be way out there, I haven't a clue....

I wondered that too John, but the way the line seemed to distort at the dirt road along the track and what appears to be a puddle made me second guess. Also the left rail seems to shine through it....

I wondered that too John, but the way the line seemed to distort at the dirt road along the track and what appears to be a puddle made me second guess. Also the left rail seems to shine through it....

I noticed that too, but the stripe could be done on a transparency layer of some kind. I wonder if this was supposed to be an image to be replaced or rejected and somehow got put into the wrong folder.

Google MINI View on Miniatur Wunderland

Google Street View went to Miniatur Wunderland, the largest HO Scale layout in the world, in Hamburg, Germany and took pictures from around the layout, showing views you wouldn't be able to see otherwise. Here's the section on Miniatur Wunderland's website about that that features a picture of the train that took the pictures, and a link to the section on Google that features Miniatur Wunderland:https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/exchange/more-wunderland/mini-view/

Another GMaps railfanning shoot from Indonesia:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-6.868...4!1sncYLX19uQi8_qZ0emXrq0g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is the May 2017 version of Streetview image for Semeru street (ID: Jalan Semeru) in the city of Tegal, Central Java province, located just beside the Tegal Station. Seen here is Indonesian Railways GE CM20EMP number CC206 13 44 (old-style number: CC206 44) of Purwokerto Locomotive Depot stops at Tegal Station with an express train, but with the locomotive's windows were still protected with steel-made protector grills for evading from stone throwing back in 2013 to 2015 (they were later removed after stone throwing cases were deemed to be heavily decreased in 2016, either it could be removed by the locomotive depot or even after underwent large scale maintenance at Yogyakarta Locomotive Workshops).

Right behind the locomotive is the power generator car (ID: kereta pembangkit) number P 0 78 06 coupled for supplying electricity to passenger coaches, where this power generator car was introduced in 1978 as a baggage-power generator combined car (pre-1986 classification number: DPW-9200, 1986-style number: BP-78700), and it was part of a large number of steel-bodied coaches with 20 meter overall length built by Yugoslavian rolling stock factory "GOSA" for reinforcing main line passenger train fleet of Indonesian Railways in both Java, Southern Sumatra and Northern Sumatra division at that time. Originally they were built with a somewhat baggage car-like appearance, as shown in this photo (actually the one shown in that photo is already having one of its sliding doors permanently shut off in the later years). However, with the abolishment of baggage room in power generator car due to a fire accident in 1990s they were later reclassified as a "purely power generator car" without any capability to carry baggages (though the 1986-style numbers were not changed until 2010, where classification letters for a pure power generator car were simplified to "P" only), hence the original sliding doors for loading and unloading baggages were permanently shut off and replaced by ordinary doors on both ends of the car. In fact, some of those Yugoslavian-built power generator cars allocated in both Northern and Southern Sumatra divisions were rebuilt as dining car with smaller diesel engine and electric generator, while another example were destroyed in accident. To this day, the only example that retained most of its original appearance is P 0 78 03 of Solo Coach Depot.

Cheers,

Arya.

Back