Google Maps Railfanning Section (READ RULES!)

https://www.google.com/maps/@3.5915...4!1sd-eNJuSWdjpBvr2d-PmAKA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This is the view from the location just beside Medan Station of Medan City (North Sumatra province), with the locomotive in the background is presumed to be CC201 series locomotive #CC201 70 (2010-style number: CC201 83 32, formerly allocated to Java division but transferred to North Sumatra division following the introduction of CC206 series locomotives in Java between 2013 and 2015). The preserved steam locomotive on the foreground is 2-6-4T #38 of former Deli Spoorweg Maatschappij (DSM), which ironically all of ex-DSM steam locomotives inherited by Indonesian Railways were not receiving Japanese-style numbering (introduced in 1942 by Imperial Japanese Army to replace Dutch-style numbering) at all, hence its original DSM number was retained until its retirement in period between late 1970s and early 1980s.

[History Trivia] During its existence before World War II, the Deli Spoorweg Maatschappij or DSM was known as one of railway company in the Dutch East Indies period of Indonesia that never purchased tender locomotives at all, as the size of the rail network owned by DSM does not require the presence of tender locomotive in its operation. Tender locomotives were later showed its presence in North Sumatra division of Indonesian Railways only after 8 units of C54 series locomotives of former Semarang-Cheribon Stoomtram Maatschappij (SCS) were transferred from Java division to North Sumatra division sometimes before 1960s.

Probably because the locomotive itself has slightly longer frame than an ordinary 2-6-4T, resulting in the trailing bogey placed slightly farther from driving wheels (looking from the spacing between driving wheels and trailing bogey it is likely that the length of its frame allows the locomotive to be constructed as a 2-8-2T). :)

Decided to revive this thread, this time from Thai:

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.818...4!1sK66CuLgpZEYI7AT3c7Zi6Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This July 2019 Streetview shot was taken from the grade crossing located right on the eastern end of Nong Pladuk Station (the starting point of Suphan Buri Line and Nam Tok Line*), where a pair of DD51 series locomotives formerly owned by Hokkaido Railway Company (JR Hokkaido) and purchased by local railway construction company in 2018 were seen here parked among several MOW equipments used for construction of double track railway line around there. These locomotives were DD51-1137 and DD51-1142, where in its heyday they were formerly used by JR Hokkaido for hauling overnight trains like "Hokutosei", "Twilight Express" and "Cassiopeia" between Sapporo and Hakodate, as well as hauling ordinary passenger and freight trains during the period when Japanese National Railways (JNR) was still in existence until March 31st, 1987.

While these locomotives were originally painted in the ordinary diesel locomotive livery of former JNR, they were repainted into special "sleeper train livery" or known as "Hokutosei color" (as it was originally intended to match with the blue-colored passenger coaches of overnight train "Hokutosei") in 1990s by JR Hokkaido. Even the "Hokutosei color" adorned by the DD51-1137 and DD51-1142 was later kept by the local railway construction company of Thailand that purchased the two locomotives in 2018 (of course with the help from Japanese people, especially railfans), although these locomotives had to be regauged from 1067mm to 1000mm due to the difference of track gauge between Japan and Thailand.

[=======NOTE========]

*Nam Tok Line is currently known as the only operable section of the famous Death Railway (or Thai-Burma Railway) built by Empire of Japan during the Burma Campaign from 1940 to 1944. The rails originally used for construction of this wartime railway line were looted from branch lines of Federated Malay State Railways (FMSR, the predecessor of Keretapi Tanah Melayu) and several Dutch East Indies railway companies (which later became the ancestor of current PT Kereta Api Indonesia) forcibly closed by the Imperial Japanese Army. The remaining part of Thai section of this line past Nam Tok Sai Yok Noi station, as well as the whole part of this line in the Burma (later renamed into the current Myanmar) were dismantled by British shortly after its closure in 1947 and since then has been returned into jungle (alas, part of the former right-of-way of Thai section of this line is now submerged under the water surface of Vajiralongkorn Dam that completed in 1984).

https://www.google.com/maps/@-4.309...4!1sxJuqu-YUuiWj5vaa--gBoQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A pair of CC205 series locomotives is seen here taking a long consist of loaded coal train on its way to Tarahan station in Lampung province, with both locomotives are part of later batch units equipped with ditchlights on the short hood end by default (presumably the lead unit is CC205 45). The train is seen here just passed the distant signal of Martapura station, as the home signal is located just before the track crosses with Merdeka street near the station's northernmost switch. The side windows of all of locomotives in South Sumatra Division of Indonesian Railways are normally protected with steel nets for preventing train crews from being attacked by crime perpetrators (either it could be stone-throwing or gunshot), though Lahat Workshops had started to employ polycarbonate glass on locomotives that received regular maintenance there as the replacement for steel nets.

Two Indonesian entries from area east of Gawok station:

[1]

https://www.google.com/maps/@-7.579...4!1sGSeliK2Ttbych8KOLSQJfA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

"Prambanan Ekspres" local train using non-air conditioned DEMU is seen here running fast from Yogyakarta all its way to Solo Balapan station. Formerly the DEMU itself was operated as non-air conditioned EMU of Jabodetabek division of Indonesian Railways, built by La Brugeoise et Nivelles and Holland Electric (hence they were called by Indonesians as "BN-Holec") with cooperation from PT INKA (national rolling stock company of Indonesia) between 1994 and 2001 but very infamous for its "difficult to maintain" and "prone to fail" problems, causing them to be slowly replaced by secondhand commuter-type EMUs bought from Japan. While some of them were lucky enough to see second life (as they were rebuilt as DEMUs by PT INKA or refurbished as air conditioned EMUs), others ended its career at the scrapyard. Probably the ones captured in this photograph has been modified to use air conditioning equipments after being photographed by Streetview's camera, but when it was modified the second driving car had to lost half of its passenger compartment to make way for installation of additional diesel generator for feeding air conditioning equipments.

[2]

https://www.google.com/maps/@-7.582...4!1s1bqXDdFfD9YWPczR8pvSYA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This is the cement train going from Brumbung all the way to Brambanan Station's cement sidings, with the cements were already packed into sacks and stacked on palettes before being directly loaded into flatcars (and covered with tarpaulin sheets to protect them from being damaged by rain water). The locomotive hauled this train is CC206 62 of Yogyakarta Locomotive Depot, seen here having the front window protector net was removed in 2017 but the side window ones are still left in place.

Last edited:
Another Indonesian entry:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-7.685...4!1srt39V-C0dXBpKgKq-atFMQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This is the June 2019 shot of area near Gumilir station in Cilacap Regency, Central Java, where CC206 57 (probably from Purwokerto depot) is seen here about to depart from the station as empties (not pulling anything). Unfortunately it is not clear whether the locomotive would gone to Cilacap station or Karangtalun station (freight-only station located inside the area of Solusi Bangun Indonesia's Cilacap cement plant, which is 3km to the west from Gumilir station).

One Malaysian shot, once again from Batu Caves station but with different locomotive:

https://www.google.com/maps/@3.2382...4!1s1OgI3qfh_PHca4_8tcc0Ng!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This shot featured the diesel locomotive Class 23 #23110 of Keretapi Tanah Melayu (KTMB) painted in blue with yellow stripe color is seen idling at the siding right beside the passenger platform area of Batu Caves station. This locomotive, along with other 14 locomotives of the same class were built by Hitachi (Japanese: 日立製作所, Hitachi-seisakusho) and introduced in 1983, though they were originally fitted with square-shaped buffer version of Norwegian coupler before being exchanged to knuckle coupler in late 1990s.

FYI: while all of mainline diesel locomotives of KTMB carried names specifically chosen by the company, the 15 units of Class 23 locomotives were carrying names in Malay language reflecting good manners that should be accomplished by someone in his / her life. The locomotive #23110 featured in the above shot carried name "Jujur", which if translated to English would read as "Honest".

Hey check it out. It's a DCR waiting for an interchange in Clayton Delaware, a few miles away from where I go to school.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.317...4!1sTS56iKyGTmVP6pbUk0p7rQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I also saw the Pennsy heritage unit go through this town once, just a few days ago in fact. I could hardly see it, but I was standing outside at school doing armed drills when I happened to be standing in the right place at the right time looking in the right direction to witness this rare moment. It's the first time I've ever seen a heritage unit.

Last edited:
Not a Train, but an Impressive Station

Napoli Afragola railway station was made for the Rome-Naples high-speed railway, and was designed by British architecture and design firm Zaha Hadid Architects, who also has designed the London Aquatics Centre for the London Olympics. This station is within sight of Mount Vesuvius, and the station is impressive to look at from the air and the ground. Satellite view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Napoli+Afragola/@40.9312682,14.330813,705m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x133ba982bcaff51d:0x2850cb69e1170a09!8m2!3d40.9317633!4d14.3313641
Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9300759,14.3325667,3a,75y,329.42h,93.88t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAadpTokYHvx6OFjKS3wjKg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DAadpTokYHvx6OFjKS3wjKg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D114.00591%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@-5.343...4!1sgVyES2tiRpfCnLEXxfQTQw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Streetview shot of Tanjung Enim Lestari pulp carrier freight train hauled by CC204 series #CC204 30, seen here stopping at Gedung Ratu station in Lampung (probably waiting another train from opposite direction to pass the station). This station is one of large number of small stations in the railway network of Indonesian Railways that still using mechanical signals up to this day (all of them are using Siemens & Halske signals with tokenless interlocking system).

Back