Google Maps Railfanning Section (READ RULES!)

https://goo.gl/maps/nJJrafTQez48crYn7

This is February 2021 shot of I Gusti Ngurah Rai street that ran along the Bekasi Line, with former Musashino Line 205 series EMU* is seen here on its way toward Jatinegara station. Unfortunately the trees partially blocked the view, though I could identify that the trainset captured by Streetview's camera is former KeYo M7 + M3 (205-48 + 205-44).

*the one in that shot is part of 36 trainsets reclassified as 205-5000 due to refurbishment of its main propulsion system from resistance control to variable frequency drive back in early 2000s

Great catches OddRails! I had seen both of these engines parked in Wheeler Oregon last October, but I never could find them on Google, and now I know I was looking in the wrong place!

Last edited:
That definitely is a great find, Dave.

That line got screwed though by the Fish and Game and the hedge fund owners. It's too bad because freight now has to be trucked out of that area now.

Anyway, the old Great Northern F-unit 274 on the left of the engine shed is nice too.

The Budd-liner (RDC) looks like one that came from the Boston and Maine after the MBTA sold them off. A ton made it to various short lines and tourist operations. They were used for many years, after running in regular commuter service as RDCs, as coaches running behind the FP10s (MBTA Easter Eggs) and F40PHs. The old diesel engines were left in place on the roofs to power the air-con, but the drive shafts were disconnected. When they were eventually all replaced with Horizon, Messerschmidt and some Kawasaki double-deckers, the old feet of RDCs were sold off or scrapped.

Nice captures in Alaska! In the Aberdeen shot, I moved just a squidge and caught the number at the other end. It appears to be just 659. What looks like something after that actually looks like something before it at the other end, so I think it is a mark of some kind near the door.

Liking the Alaska locos. I was fascinated by the Alaska rail barge operation at Whittier, but didn't follow through by making it part of a route.

First I've seen of the Amtrak ACS-64. Nothing like that in my non-electric area.

NorfolkSouthern1036,

That's quite a line up of locos.

SP used to keep six or eight locos as helpers in San Luis Obispo, CA. Nowadays there's usually nothing except infrequent Amtrak and commuter trains. UP split the coast line into two runs; one from SoCal north to San Luis Obispo and another from Pajaro yard south to Santa Margarita; usually doing no freight moves over the Cuesta grade just north of San Luis Obispo.

Cool find.

I tried counting them from here but I lost count!

Wow. That's a lot of locos, John. Perhaps some are being stored?

August 2019 grain train headed eastbound out of Shelby, MT. BNSF 8347 (GE ES44C4) and BNSF 5946 (GE ES44AC) on the lead with BNSF 4575 (GE C44-9CW) bringing up the rear of the 3650 ft long train. (I tried counting the cars twice, but lost count before getting a third of them. Gave up and measured the estimated length using landmarks in the photo.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.495...4!1s3k8Tu8saOElP15benVcJGw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Nice find!

Head towards town and you'll see other engines and trains. The problem is the date changes if you try to get in close enough to actually see anything and then the trains disappear.

Seeing this brought back some memories of a storm-chase trip I took back in July 2012 with Roger Hill and his Silver Lining Tours. We went through here a couple of times. The first time, we crossed over the tracks on I-15 as we headed to the Canadian border to chase some pretty dry super cells. They produced some ping-pong sized hailstones and some lightning right at the border. The second time, we were down on US-2 and we headed towards Havre. That day, we saw some back-lit mammatus clouds, hail, and some good lightning.

In addition to storms, I of course had my head on a swivel and saw plenty of long container trains, Amtrak's Empire Builder, and other manifests along the route as we passed through Essex, Glacier, and Browning. Heck, I felt like I was driving Marias Pass X! :)

Did you notice that the BSNF uses JR track and ballast in Sioux City?

I stayed overnight in Sioux City, IA during a very storm-less chase trip in June 2016. I saw a lot of trains though on that trip.

I never noticed that until you mentioned it. That's pretty interesting, and yeah, it seems to be a very busy place for trains, as BNSF and UP both go through there.

Back