Google Maps Railfanning Section (READ RULES!)

https://goo.gl/maps/tqmsTjpu1e12

More from Tatabanya Hungary.

Look along the rail line both left and right and there in the yard. There's a freight train waiting or stopped and this passenger train is in the station. This is not the same time of year as Dave's post though.

I looked at some early posts to this string including mine and the tracks are empty! Looks like Google has taken new shots of the area sans trains.

I looked at some early posts to this string including mine and the tracks are empty! Looks like Google has taken new shots of the area sans trains.

I've noticed that as well. Sometimes you can go back to an earlier date though and capture some traffic should it be there.

Yup. I know where this one is! :D

The now "stuffed" train sits on a piece of disconnected track along Market Street in Lowell, MA and is part of the Lowell Textile Mills National Park setup. The tracks in the front are used for a trolley, a replica of an Eastern Mass open car, that runs the length of the branch down to the Wanalancit Mills near the Tsongas Arena and UMass Lowell's West Campus. A former piano student of mine worked for the Boston and Maine when this locomotive was donated to the national park, and worked as a volunteer to restore the engine cosmetically.

The branch used to connect to the mainline track, at a small interchange yard located about 2 blocks to the right in the picture. The mainline track continues up to Concord New Hampshire, and used to continue up to White River Jct. until that became a trail.

When I worked in Lowell on Middlesex Street, I used to cut through downtown Lowell sometimes to avoid the awful traffic up on Drum Hill rotary. I would go down the same street where this train is now sitting, and then out to Pawtucket Street. At that time in the early 1980s, there would be strings of boxcars for some of the still active mills on one some of the long gone sidings, and one more than one occasion I caught an old B&M SW9 or SW1200 doing the switching. Guilford nixed the mill operation sometime around the mid-1980s, when they embargoed the connection along with many other branch operations including the D&H line down to Carbondale, PA.

EFE AMZ-51 at Museo Ferroviario Pablo Neruda in Temuco, Chile. This is an Italian 1960's built EMU for Chile made to operate as express service throughout Chile. In their later years, these were demotorized with pantographs remaining for power and used as trailing coaches to be hauled by locomotives around the mid 1980's. This surviving unit AMZ-51 has been under recent restoration to repaint to it's original delivery colors of maroon and cream than it's previous scheme "VIA SUR" yellow, white, and blue.

https://goo.gl/maps/f5JA5HeZoEE2

Back