Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: Google Maps Railfanning Section (READ RULES!)

https://goo.gl/maps/Fm5XJ3QjY7vPFR9z6

CN 2258 and 2021 eastbound at Lestock, Saskatchewan.

I don't know the RR, but it's no 1314 at Bellevue, OH.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2835...7i13312!8i6656

I can't read the road numbers, but it's some Alaska Locomotives at Anchorage, AK.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@61.2242...7i13312!8i6656

I also can't read the number of this one, but it's another Alaska Train at Anchorage.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@61.2217...7i13312!8i6656

P&W 2006 and 3906 at Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8689...7i13312!8i6656
    Last edited by NorfolkSouthern1036; September 24th, 2020 at 07:07 AM.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

You might want to edit that. It's P&W for Providence and Worcester. The P&W used to, maybe they may still do, offered dinner train rides and line tours on their system from Worcester to Providence, down through to New London and up the Norwalk to Worcester line, forming a loop ride. It took a good couple of hours, but it was a great run back when I took it in 1985. They have since expanded their operations a lot since those days and sadly now they too are part of the GWI family.

I've been on I-95 and drove right past here before the catenary was installed. I would say to myself then it's too bad the catenary wasn't installed all the way to Boston like was planned back when the New Haven put the wires up in 1910. Just shy of a century later, it finally happened.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

That's a Loooong string of hoppers behind it! I tried to go find the end, but ran out of line of sight before I got there...
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    That's a Loooong string of hoppers behind it! I tried to go find the end, but ran out of line of sight before I got there...
    That sure is. I went up on some bridges over the line, but the side roads were photographed at a different date so they're not there. The P&W handled the coal trains up to the Bow coal fired power plant up in Bow New Hampshire, which is just outside Concord. That power plant has been shutdown so these are probably surplus coal hoppers that are no longer needed for the power plant.

For years the Bow power plant was served by the Pennsylvania, NYC, and later Penn Central and Conrail with a partnership with the old Boston and Maine. Recently, about 5 years ago, Pan Am lost the contract and the P&W got it and ran it until the end. Now no one has it.
    Last edited by JCitron; September 20th, 2020 at 08:54 PM.
    John

Whoops, thanks for the correction. It must have been a typo. That's interesting about how they used to do a dinner train. I think WM does something like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern1036 View Post
    Whoops, thanks for the correction. It must have been a typo. That's interesting about how they used to do a dinner train. I think WM does something like that too.
    Yeah the WM still does, but that's quite a distance from me. The P&W was a nice outfit from what I remember. They used to attend the NMRA and Greenburg shows and one time the hostess recognized me and said hello. That was about 20 years ago now so I don't know what's up now.
    John

If you Google Lapwai, Idaho, you will be able to follow miles of center beam flats that were used by the lumber industry. Not as much need now. And before that they had stored miles of hoppers.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Hey, I know this isn't a train or street view but I saw this on the tracks on google maps near where I live in Delaware, and I can't figure out what this could be. Maybe someone knows what this is, cause I sure don't. Lol

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8605.../data=!3m1!1e3

I don't know! If it was out west here, I might have guessed that someone laid out a streak of fire retardant from an aircraft. That is really a lot like it would look, especially since it appears to have come down on the trees from above and is laid out in a straight line. It would appear to be north to south, as it tapers to the south. But why it would be way out there, I haven't a clue....

Quote Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern1036 View Post
    Hey, I know this isn't a train or street view but I saw this on the tracks on google maps near where I live in Delaware, and I can't figure out what this could be. Maybe someone knows what this is, cause I sure don't. Lol

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8605.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Somebody with a Sharpie marker on the photograph. Oops!
    John

I wondered that too John, but the way the line seemed to distort at the dirt road along the track and what appears to be a puddle made me second guess. Also the left rail seems to shine through it....

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    I wondered that too John, but the way the line seemed to distort at the dirt road along the track and what appears to be a puddle made me second guess. Also the left rail seems to shine through it....
    I noticed that too, but the stripe could be done on a transparency layer of some kind. I wonder if this was supposed to be an image to be replaced or rejected and somehow got put into the wrong folder.
    John