East Broad Top RR in Trainz a WIP (Large Pics - Yes)

RPearson

Trainz Tools Cad2Trk
This thread is for showing parts of my East Broad Top RR - clearly a work in progress with very little scenery on it to see - at present. However since I'm aware of at least 2 other large EBT projects currently working I thought it might be good to have a thread where we can compare notes so to speak. So anyone working on an EBT route for Trainz is invited to post screen shots in this thread.

I'd ask all others to refrain from posting any pics in this thread. This is for pics of EBT routes currently being made for Trainz and only those - thanks for your cooperation.

I'll start with a bunch of shots taken in the Mt Union, Pa area. The largest of the EBT's 3 main yards was located here and it was a mix of ng3', sg and dg track. There were 3 brick factories producing refactory bricks, a creosote plant that made ties (sleepers) for the PRR and the EBT's own Chance Coal Process Plant for cleaning, sorting and load coal into both sg and ng hoppers. So several large industries were located there and it was also the EBT access to the rest of the world with it's interchange with the PRR.

Bob Pearson

The screen shot in the above post shows a minimap view of the EBT's yards and industrial tracks in Mt Union. The following are of the western end towards the connection with the PRR main line and near the retaining wall separating the engine house, transfer shed and ng wye tracks from the upper yard tracks.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Next a screen shot in the upper yard with EBT's sg Baldwin 0-6-0 switchers Nos 3 and 6. They handled both ng and sg cars. The ng cars were coupled to an offset coupler on the loco and tender. Since all dg track in MT Union had the common rail on the south side the 2 0-6-0s always face RR north direction. Also a look at the area above and below the Coal Prep Plant and the track work in way of same.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Just a heads up in case you are unaware - Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette Magazine has had a goodly number of plans for EBT rolling stock (including locos) in it over the years.
Examples:

Rail motor M1
0-6-0T no 6.
Diesel loco M-4 (a very small industrial type loco).
Caboose no 27
Tank car (on an old flatcar)
Work caboose no 2
2-track stub turnout switch stand
3-track stub turnout switch stand

Don't know issue numbers or dates (sorry).

Ben

Thanks, I'll need a lot of it.:cool:

Ben, thanks for the info. I only have a few issues myself and nothing with EBT equip in it. FEBT used to have copies of articles about the EBT from MR, [edit]MRC and NG&SG. I think I bought copies of most of what they had back abt 10 yrs ago. I know No 6 is in their somewhere. Legibility wasn't all that good on them but most are still usable. [edit] The article and dgw I have are from an MRC article.

BTW no3 in the shot abv is LeeFerr's generic 0-6-0 and slope tender. Pretty good match for the EBT's no3. The alligator crosshead is the worst offender I think. For No 6 it isn't so good. The design is about 20 yrs to young for no 6 - needs an older style cab from about 1900 [edit]plus Stephenson gear, laird crosshead and lower boiler.

[edited]The numbers, name and color for them are re-done in accordance with his config but I need to make some other mods that will need special approval from Mike before I go much further with the mods I'd like to make.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
ok now i have to official say that you need to send me what you have so far i would love to drive on this thing, az of this point i'm considering mine and cascades project to be dead in the water nothing has been remotely completed on the map in about 4 months....yet i remain optimistic...so yeah like i said email me the CDP and the assets when you get the chance

It's not dead ... It's just stunned ... No, No he's just sleeping ... The Norwegen Blue likes kipping on his back !

Last edited:
It's not dead ... It's just stunned ... No, No he's just sleeping ... The Norwegen Blue likes kipping on his back !
ok well that's good to hear that you haven't given up, although 4 months of no progress worries me, personally i just want to see this project done, when we started this thing i didn't expect to be sitting on it a year later because of how much progress we were constantly making. and personally i'd like to see us make it into roberstdale in the near future (really near future) and then work to mount union so we can get the main portion of the line done. (without mount union it is not a operable map for coal runs) so please lets get back to work

A route is never fully done ... Just like a model railroad platform ... You just keep working on it, making more changes to it.

Man is incomplete ... Until he gets married ... Then he is completely done !

To be honest with you ... this route will be "sat" on for many years from now ... undone.

I may work on it from time to time.

Last edited:
Very nice looking route, the dual gauge track adds a lot of interest.

Chris
yes the East Broad Top was very well know for it's dual gauge interchange yard in mount union, when the timber transfer became uneeded with the closing of the mckelvy brothers lumber company hich operated narrow gauge shays along the shade gap, the president of the railroad decided it would be better used to swap standard gauge trucks out from under the cars comming in and specialized narrow gauge trucks placed under the cars allowing the cars to be moved along the system, this negated the need to unload every car and reload into narrow gauge cars

Was wondering when you guys were going to wake up. 8-() Actually I've been wondering when I was going to post more pics too.

While not too active on my EBT route I have been doing some stuff for Trainz. TEG has started up and looks like it will take more time than I had expected. I did though ask and get permission to mod LeeFerr's generic sg 0-6-0 to work in the Mt Union Yard. I reskined it years ago in compliance with his license and it looks a lot like No3 exceptions noted above in a few pic in the yard. I still have some scripting to do but results look promising.

Also looking into a dual gauge lever I know I can do one pretty easily but some other concerns about consists set or running on adjacent parts of same dg stretch may complicate it.

I stunned Roland a couple of weeks ago with an order for his latest TransDem - 2.5 looks pretty good. I haven't played around with it too much. I've been an admirer of his program but also probably one of the longest hold outs working with HOG, PIGLET and MicroDem instead. He's kept up with the changes to the map files over the years while I haven't so I decided to try to use some of that work to my advantage.

Bob Pearson

Its hard to get motivated on a RR that may never run again, as in April of this year, the EBT RR has to raise $600,000 in taxes, or else get liquidated

Its hard to get motivated on a RR that may never run again, as in April of this year, the EBT RR has to raise $600,000 in taxes, or else get liquidated

but that is exactly why we have to do this, without people like us working on projects like this the east broad top may very possibly fade from existence, that is why i have poured my heart and soul into the project that we have been working on

EBT - South from MT Union to Shirley Clay Spur

Well before I continue south I have to back track a bit. 1st just to show a project I've been working on is a group of 5 shots of EBT No 3 a sg 0-6-0 working a set of 4 mty hoppers. Have yet to start the scripting that will be necessary to finish the project but it looks promising anyhow. I think I mentioned the model is a repaint of LeeFerr's generic 0-6-0 which does resemble No 3 quite a bit. Many thanks to him for allowing me to make some additional mods to the model.

More to come soon.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Back