Texture error for RGS #20 Frame

gremlin1812

G'day All, I downloaded and installed "RGS #20 <kuid:43955:200>" by prowler901 and the dependancie "RGS #20 Frame <kuid:43955:50046>" is giving a texture error, I have tried everything I know to fix it but to no avail. The error is:-

Error: Texture 'rgs20_b.texture' is missing or could not be loaded in mesh 'rgs20_frame_bogey.im', material 'editing*rgs _20 frame**rgs20_frame_bogey*EC879B98*main*m.onetex'.

I have run the im file through PM2IM and the texture through images2tga, the texture text file and tga file are there and named correctly.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Barrie

Error: Texture 'rgs20_b.texture' is missing or could not be loaded in mesh 'rgs20_frame_bogey.im', material 'editing*rgs _20 frame**rgs20_frame_bogey*EC879B98*main*m.onetex'.

You need to change the texture from type 8 = bump to type 1 = diffuse
324 Texture Type: 1 = TEX_DIFFUSE
328 Texture Name Size: 80
332 Texture Name: D:\Auran\TRS2004\World\Custom\prowlerlocoworks\rgs20_frame_bogey\RGS20_b.texture

Whether or not that produces the same effect that the author wanted I don't know, but it allows the asset to be used.

G'day BuilderBob, Well you got me there I really don't know know what to do there. One thing I did notice was that when open in Trainz Mesh Viewer that texture file does not come up in the texture list which is very confusing, also the image is fine no white areas which would indicate missing texture.
Regards
Barrie

That may be one of the very few that PM2IM cannot fix. However, PEV did say that he has an alternative method of dealing with them, so it may be worth seeing if he responds to this thread.

Shane

G'day BuilderBob, Well you got me there I really don't know know what to do there. One thing I did notice was that when open in Trainz Mesh Viewer that texture file does not come up in the texture list which is very confusing, also the image is fine no white areas which would indicate missing texture.
Regards
Barrie

OK. I have fixed it with a complicated process, but there might be a shortcut.

I edited the type for the texture to 1 and then changed it to RGS20
324 Texture Type: 1 = TEX_DIFFUSE
328 Texture Name Size: 80
332 Texture Name: D:\Auran\TRS2004\World\Custom\prowlerlocoworks\rgs20_frame_bogey\RGS20.texture

That gives you the correct coloring (AFAICT) but, of course, no bumps.

A simpler way to achieve the same result might be to copy RGS20.TGA over the top of RGS20_b.TGA, but I guess you would still have to change the type from BUMP to Diffuse to get it to commit.

Last edited:
G'day, OK but how do I change the texture type? You never know I may even learn something here.
Regards
Barrie

If you look at the IM file in Assetx you can see that the type code is at offset 324 - as per the lines I posted above. That's 0x144 in your binary editor.

Just change the value at that location to 01 to match the image above.

G'day BuilderBob, OK I got to the place in your previous post and made the changes but there was no selection to save? Sorry you have a bit of a dummy here, I have never delved into the workings of trainz this deeply before.
Regards
Barrie

G'day BuilderBob, OK I got to the place in your previous post and made the changes but there was no selection to save? Sorry you have a bit of a dummy here, I have never delved into the workings of trainz this deeply before.
Regards
Barrie

That will depend on the brand of binary editor you are using. In my case (http://frhed.sourceforge.net/en/) I can either just close the editor and it will prompt me to save, or select File / Save from the menu. Your options might vary, but if you don't have a Save option then perhaps you are using a binary viewer instead of a binary editor.

G'day BuilderBob, I got that editor from the link, WOW, way beyond my tiny collection of grey matter. On thing I have found is that every im file with a similar problem with PM2IM does not fix them any more, never had this problem before so I think I will remove all pevs tools and reinstall them.
, never know may work.
Regards
Barrie

G'day BuilderBob, reinstalling the latest version of PM2IM did not change anything so as an experiment I installed "PM2IM Version 1.21 24 November 2010" and it fixed the error. I will now go into the game and see what it looks like as I guess that is the big test.
Regards
Barrie

Edit:- the screen shot seems to indicate that all went well.
gremlin1812_20131215_0000.jpg

All other problem files also fixed fine now with the older version.

Last edited:
G'day BuilderBob, reinstalling the latest version of PM2IM did not change anything so as an experiment I installed "PM2IM Version 1.21 24 November 2010" and it fixed the error. I will now go into the game and see what it looks like as I guess that is the big test.
Regards
Barrie

If you are getting the white caps on the front of the cylinders then it's correct. Going back to the earlier version means that many more assets can be fixed like this, but you lose some other functionality. The ideal would be to have both versions, but that creates other problems. However, you will find many assets that need this fix - anything that used a bumpmap before about build 2.4 seems to need this repair.

G'day BuilderBob, I have both versions installed but in different locations and both work OK.
Regards
Barrie

They can both be installed, but you need to be careful about which one gets used when it is not executed directly - such as from Assetx or from a context (right-click) menu. Generally, the latest one should be set up to execute from other applications, and the earlier ones executed only from a shortcut that points direct to the executable.

Hacking the mesh files with a hex editor is POOR advice, because there are so many intertwined bits of data that must be correct. If you use my tools correctly (and read the help file) most errors will be fixed.

The advice above may result in the material attempting to call two diffuse textures which could possibly crash the game.

There are the odd errors that some content creators have made that my published tools cannot fix. I have repaired some of these in the DLS repairs and others when people have had insoluble problems.

The later versions of PM2IM require you to set the program to process IM files. It does not process IM's straight up because its prime purpose is to convert PM's to IM's.

Last edited:
Do we have a simple solution to this asset?

Thanks John

It depends on what you call 'simple'. The solution I posted works. You are going to need something similar for other fixes, like moving the bogey attachment points to use an alternative bogey, so it will become part of your toolbox anyway.

Do we have a simple solution to this asset?

Thanks John
G'day John, the simplest solution is to get hold "PM2IM Version 1.21 24 November 2010" and use it to fix the im file, worked fine for that asset and a lot of others I had no success with prior.
Regards
Barrie

I'm interested in knowing where you find it if you have, as I haven't got that particular version on my site as far as I'm aware.

Shane

Back