Comments wanted: ASUS GTX 660 video card

ccowan2126

Anyone own an ASUS graphics card? I am getting ready to pull the trigger and order a new card to upgrade from my MSI GT610 1GB card. The ASUS card is inexpensive (I don't want to say CHEAP) enough that it will allow me to move up to a GTX660 2GB instead of settling for a GTX650ti 1GB card. The bench marks skyrocket from a 2600 to 4113 by moving up to the GTX660 from the GTX650ti. Just want to make sure it is a good move.

Thanks.

Intel i3 3220 @3.3Ghz, ASROCK H61M-HVS, ADATA 8GB DDR 1333RAM, Toshiba 500GB HDD, 300W PSU (soon to be a Corsair 600W)

Last edited:
I run a GeForce GTX660 2GB video card. I am not into any extreme gaming, but for Trainz, FSX and Railworks I am more than happy.
I do not look at frame rates in Trainz, but in FSX with all the sliders maxed out, I get over 30fps in extremely dense scenery areas.
For a budget card you could do worse.

Bob (CRO)

Gidday ccowan2126, I have to say I'm a bit of an ASUS fan too.
I recently replaced my trusty old ASUS nVidia GTX280 1Gb card with another ASUS - this time the ASUS R9 280x DC2 TOP 3Gb and I just love it!
The performance improvement is marked and measurable.
When I build my new machine in the next month or two specifically for the expected more-demanding requirements of T2 and Star Citizen (which will be beta-tested and launch at around about the same time in 2014) I will almost certainly go for what is then the top-of-the-line ASUS (nVidia or AMD) discrete card prevailing at the time. Then I plan to "get another one just like it" and run them in either SLI or Crossfire, because both simulators will support multiple GPUs by that time. (Star Citizen does already.)
What I like about the ASUS cards, compared to their reference cards and competitors' offerings, is their excellent GPU cooling systems and lower levels of noise for the same or greater output/ performance, particularly the Direct CU II cards.
The GTX660 is a fine card, so if you find a bargain price, go for it, I'd say!
PC

Last edited:
Just got a $100 Christmas bonus in my check yesterday. Perfect timing: Just ordered a Gigabyte GTX660 2GB card for $169.99 (after $20 rebate) from Amazon.com. Can't wait to drop it in and see what happens !

(200th post...cool)

Last edited:
Back