Traniz (not responding) . . . TS12

I should learn to remember old rules form when I was in the PC business back in the days of the wooly mamoth, when we were still using MS-DOS, not windows. All PC problems can be fixed by REBOOTING a PC.

That is what I did, and the problem that I listed below - about half an hour ago - seems to have resolved itself.

I am still somewhat curious as to what caused it, but at least I now have a working copy of Traniz again.

----------------------------------------

This is the situation as I see it, if more information is needed, please advise and I will amend this or add to it.

I have used TS10 for a few years, and finally decided to purchase TS12 on Dec 4th 2013. I bought the digital download, got it installed, and all seemed ok. I have played with it a few times in the last day.

I have build 61388.

I noticed in the very first menu a new (at least I dont remember it from TS10-or if this is a new version of content manager I did not recognize it) menu option to get new content, and I clicked on one of the downloadable items, which then just seemed to "hang", after about 15 minutes of nothing happening, I decided to use windows task manager to kill trainz. I realize I probably should not have done this, but it is too late now.

Then when I tried to relaunch Trainz, I chose from the first menu to start trainz. Then I got the little locomotive icon in the middle and it said "loading" but again, 15 minutes went by and nothing happened, so I killed it a 2nd time. Second big mistake, but I don't easily learn from my mistakes.

Now when I attempt to launch Trainz from the windows task menu, nothing at all happens. Since I have windows task manager still running I watched it as I tried to launch, and trainz does not show up as an application. It is as if the windows task menu points to nothing.

Any guidance that anyone can provide would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you already have any payware content such as Murchison?

This is where you would download/reinstall, or even install new payware content. The old Content Manager is still there. You can access that from the Launcher just as you had previously.

If you have already purchased Murchison or other payware content, the program may be downloading and verifying the data. This would explain the slow responds and thus the hang.

Have patience and let it do its thing.

John

One should never force-close Trainz or Content Manager unless it has genuinely frozen. The reason is because the Trainz background processes (TrainzUtil and TADDaemon) are usually processing assets for validation, which can take a while if there are a lot of assets installed or a patch has recently been applied.

You may need to run an extended database repair as a result though. This can be found in the File menu of Content Manager.

Shane

Shane said:
One should never force-close Trainz or Content Manager unless it has genuinely frozen.
Pray tell - how can one tell if CM is genuinely frozen, or if it is just doing something that is long and slow, but not telling me what it is doing?

Shane also said:
You may need to run an extended database repair as a result though. This can be found in the File menu of Content Manager.
Shane

Pray also please tell, how can one know if extended database repair is needed or not? Can one even tell? I have read that this can take a long time, how would one know if it is working properly or when it is done? I have also read posts in the forum which suggest that EDR can cause problems, I would hope that this is not true and yet one must always worry. Dare I trust EDR to not make things worse rather than better?

Thanks in advance for any further edification you can provide.

Whether it's frozen completely is a chance thing, but it's worth giving it half an hour or so to see if it responds, as some operations can take a while.

Regarding database repairs, these are usually required if something corrupts the database, which can include force-closing the program. EDRs as they are known can go both ways depending on the nature of any corruption, including making assets appear faulty when they are not actually faulty. Luckily, there is a sticky in the TS2010 forum by ZecMurphy (one of the Helpdesk members at N3V) that covers how to deal with that.

Shane

...Pray tell - how can one tell if CM is genuinely frozen, or if it is just doing something that is long and slow, but not telling me what it is doing?...

Right click on the Windows Taskbar.
Select "Start Task Manager".
Select the "Processes" tab.
Find a line with Image Name = "TADDaemon.exe *32"
Keep an eye in the figure in the CPU column of that line for, say, 30 seconds - if that stays at "00" the the chances are it's frozen.

(If the lines in Task Manager are jumping around then click on the Image Name column header which will put them into an alphabetical sort).

Note: If you right click on the TADDaemon line you can end the process or process tree. Best to shut down the CM window before doing this.

Chris

Back