Got Bort85's Clone

Good Evening Rick
That is how content was approved until about 3 years ago. It took about 1-2 hours (depending on the amount of content) each day to approve the content, and this simply involved skimming over it to ensure there as no inappropriate content (as in, content that includes coarse language, or inappropriate themes, or similar).

To check that all content was 'legit' would take, at a guess, about 30 minutes per asset. That's for a reasonable search of the DLS for the asset name, and a few variations, as well as a look through google. This is so long as the author hasn't fundamentally changed things. However, unless the content is absolutely 100% obviously uploaded without permission (e.g. content from a known payware pack), it would still have been approved. Why? Because there was still no way to know that it was uploaded without permission.

There's also no way to know that the content is absolutely definitely a clone of another's asset. It could just be a very similar item, that another person has created. Possible minutely different to better fit their own scene/model/etc.

If the person doing the approvals isn't even a Trainz user (they're simply doing a job), then they have even less chance of ever noticing duplicates.

So, again, we fall back to the only viable (and, seriously, suitable) method is to simply require the original author to contact us if content was uploaded without permission.

@Shane
I'll be speaking to our team about this one tomorrow. It's a little late here (1am for me)... But it'll be looked into tomorrow.

Regards

In my case the md5 checksums for the im files are identical. A fairly foolproof way of establishing a file is an exact copy and not in anyway "tweaked"

Back