Scrap Engines

Simon0325

Cass Climax #9 lover
Does anyone know where I can find some scrap USA steam locomotives. I want some for a dead line on my route.

Hi Simon,

You can actually make these fairly easy yourself.

You'll need to clone a working locomotive and tender, along with the bogies, yourself and convert these to a static scenery objects which you can then place together. Using a photo-editing program such as Gimp, Paint Shop Plus, or Photoshop, for example, you can then add extra rust and dirt and 'ruin' the metal to make the locomotive look like its ready for the scrap pile.

I've done this before to create some equipment for a museum on one of my routes.

John

This is slightly off topic, but how do I convert josefpav's Amtrak F40PH into a NPCU (Non-Powered Control Unit)? These are retired F40PHs that had their prime movers removed and the area turned into baggage area, while the controls are kept in place. They're used on corridor push-pull trains out of Chicago, the Amtrak Cascades, and I think also the Downeastern. I've figured just removing the enginesound and enginespec and turning it into a piece of rolling stock would do the job. Is it that simple or is it more complex than that?

Well I still want it to move on the rails, but not under its own power. So I can pull it out of the line if needed.

That's easy to do too.

Instead of turning all the parts into scenery objects, all you need to do is setup the config.txt file to match one used by a freight car. You won't need queues for goods though, so you'll have just a train-car locomotive.

All I can say is experiment and see what you can do. The worst thing is you'll have to start over.

John

I made a scrap steamer that you can push around the route.
dragonharh_20131204_0006_zps90008bc7.jpg

The booges are on DLS for it I also made scrap rails, spikes, ties and so on if your interested.
making a scrapper is easy

Back