Where did this come from?

Bill69

Suddenly there is a new panel showing on the left of the screen, what's it doing there? The related searches panel How do I get rid of it?

Bill69

You seem to have picked up something somewhere; this is not related to this forum specific.
Probably accidently installed that on a previous website or this is an update of IExplorer I sure do not want :hehe:.

Looks like a piece of adware to me. Check in Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista) for any odd programs.

Shane

Ahh yes, some updates came in today and there was one for IE. Thanks oknosten that'll be it.

@H222, yes I can click the little x and close it but it immediately comes back the next time I go to a new page.

Cheers,
Bill69

Hello Bill,

You might want to audition Google Chrome if you haven't already. I switched from IE a few months ago and will never go back. The invasion of ads was constant and it has now stopped, and Chrome is lightning fast on my machine.

Bernie

Just did a scan and found 11 PUPs and 11 registry entries for them. I recon they must have come with the updates I installed to day.
They would have been found overnight anyway as I do a scan every night but it also required a registry clean and defrag.

@bl4882, I have had some downloads that wanted to install Google Chrome but I have always unticked the box to stop it from downloading.

Cheers,
Bill

I have updated IE to version 11 and been using it for some days and I have not seen this panel showing up.

There is nothing wrong with IE and I do not see the need for people who prefer other browsers to continually knock it.

All a bit childish really.

This sounds like a bundle-ware type thing. You have to be careful when installing some programs as they include other things to uncheck in addition to checking the I agree checkbox for the license. I ended up with the ASK tool bar once because I missed the extra box to uncheck.

It's rather annoying when companies do this.

John

Just did a scan and found 11 PUPs and 11 registry entries for them. I recon they must have come with the updates I installed to day.
They would have been found overnight anyway as I do a scan every night but it also required a registry clean and defrag.

@bl4882, I have had some downloads that wanted to install Google Chrome but I have always unticked the box to stop it from downloading.

Cheers,
Bill

It looks like you are using the Google Toolbar. Go into Control Panel> Uninstall A Program.

Also read this http://business.time.com/2013/11/13...to-make-google-work-becomes-youtubes-problem/

It looks like you are using the Google Toolbar. Go into Control Panel> Uninstall A Program.

Also read this http://business.time.com/2013/11/13...to-make-google-work-becomes-youtubes-problem/

Nope, wrong there, I never use Google toolbar and don't have it installed on my computer. Also do not use You Tube.
For maintenance I use the latest version of Glary Utilities and for AV I use Avast Antivirus.

I agree with John, you have to be very aware what is going to download sometimes and make sure you un-tick anything you don't want installed.

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited:
I have it too (desktop). Did a Google and found some unknown programs, uninstalled them and the pop ups were gone. Did a registry cleaning and security essentials scan. All was clean. And today the problem is back! Somehow a laptop also got it and I have no idea how, for that laptop does not have any recently installed programs. At some point it also said that there was an Auran survey.. <click here to start>.. But of course you should never start anything suspicious. Look for something that says akamahid.net In other versions of this, it tells you that your browser is outdated, or that your player is outdated. It even mentions that it is a Microsoft thing! I use IE 10 But I have also seen it in Chrome...

I have updated IE to version 11 and been using it for some days and I have not seen this panel showing up.

There is nothing wrong with IE and I do not see the need for people who prefer other browsers to continually knock it.

All a bit childish really.

If you are a web site builder you most likely would know why IE is so bad. It does NOT stick to the proper HTML conventions as most of the other web browsers do. M$ does not give a fig about this, hence smart folks avoid this piece of cr@p (IE) like the plague.

My 2 cents worth

VinnyBarb

Nope, wrong there, I never use Google toolbar and don't have it installed on my computer. Also do not use You Tube.
For maintenance I use the latest version of Glary Utilities and for AV I use Avast Antivirus.

I agree with John, you have to be very aware what is going to download sometimes and make sure you un-tick anything you don't want installed.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill, if you don't use Google why does it say "Google" in the top left hand corner of your screen?

Hi lewisner,

I only use the search function and Google Earth, and that is just for Trainz. No Google Chrome.

Cheers,
Bill

Back