iPortals and CMTM

OK, I was just curious because I use the same car for multiple commodities (yes they are PRR cars). Also I am working on my consist just waiting to hear back from whitepass on 2 of his cars that are not CMTM ready.

From what I have read on this it looks like you are going more towards another program I use called Freight Yard Manager. Where the cars coming onto your yards are for either industries that are on your yard, through trains, and if you have a class yard for sorting. From what I can tell this would be a good way to run a more prototypical rail traffic pattern. I would be interested in this as a iportal interaction and with a server for trains that are held until that person is on. We could run train sessions when we are on an not worry about whether a person will receive those trains sent to him/her. I could probably have a yard and industry set up for this route wise in a short amount of time writing the database will take a bit.

From what I have read on this it looks like you are going more towards another program I use called Freight Yard Manager. Where the cars coming onto your yards are for either industries that are on your yard, through trains, and if you have a class yard for sorting. From what I can tell this would be a good way to run a more prototypical rail traffic pattern. I would be interested in this as a iportal interaction and with a server for trains that are held until that person is on. We could run train sessions when we are on an not worry about whether a person will receive those trains sent to him/her. I could probably have a yard and industry set up for this route wise in a short amount of time writing the database will take a bit.

That's the exact idea I was going for Charles. Though as we have stated, it works as is with out the server part. Though it would still be a nice feature.

If I get a list from every one who is involved of what locomotives they want, I can start making the content file for rolling stock and locomotives. I'm going to use mostly Majekear's rolling stock. So if there is any specific road names you want, let me know that as well.

Are we going to do a spread sheet of what commodities we produce and want like we did before. As for consist I will make my own when I get all the updated equipment.

If we can get iPortal server to store a consist for a finite amount of time, during which time it may be retrieved by the recipient, would 48 hrs be agreeable? Is there a minimum amount of time we can make work? Possibly as short as 4 hours?

David

Last edited:
If we can get iPortal server to store a consist for a finite amount of time, during which time it may be retrieved by the recipient, would 48 hrs be agreeable? Is there a minimum amount of time we can make work? Possibly as short as 4 hours?

David
Why not have a configurable min max hold time. I am not sure if it will work though because it depends on the MP server being operational.

Originally, the iPortal made use of the iTrainz network over which the chat messages are sent. There was a time when it would store messages for off-line players. Due to increased use, that functionality has been removed. I have been advised that they may introduce "mailbox" functionality in the future, but it will require an explicit instruction to save, which will be done with software. If we can agree on a limit to the hold time of a consist, fewer resources will be required to meet our need. My thinking is if we agree on a max time to hold, it could improve our chances of getting this thing done.

David

Id say 48 hours, if its doable. This way we dont have to check every day or risk losing a train.

As for content Ken, all I need are locomotives, nothing more. Just PM the names and KUID's of 2 or 3. And Im trying to think of some thing that would work for a spread sheet or some thing.

I'm with Jib, 48 hours sounds good. Not everyone is going to want to log in everyday.

I have 5 locos right now and one of them is a freeware JR loco, I will get them to you soon Jib. If you only want locos what are we doing about freight cars?

I do like the idea that has been expressed for a commodity request form. We could use email, TS or a simple hosted form with date, requestor, commodity, amount required and who is filling the request.

Last edited:
A few questions about CMTM and iPortal

1) Will CMTM load passenger equipment?
2) Will CMTM load a car with say lumber if the car does not have it in its KUID table?

CMTM was designed as a freight car system. I've not tried it with passenger equip.

CMTM will load a freight car with whatever you tell it to, even if the commodity's kuid number is not in the car's config file. However, the commodity's kuid number must be included in the CMTM HTML config file.

Cool, not that passenger equipment should be added I was looking for a automatic way to load them on Portal exit.

Dap (or anyone else),
Are you thinking about rewriting the code somewhat for iPortal as I is now? If so, perhaps it might be worth thinking outside the box a bit again. I can offer up a server to accept, store consist info, compute loads, anything that might help.

Ken,

There is a driver command that you can have as the first command out of a portal that loads all cars in train. Since passenger and freight use the same queue structure, it should work. THe reason CMTM will not do it, it is written to look at only freight cars and ignore all else.

dstelley,

I have created an iPortal for CMTM freight car destination system. I also added the capability to emit a single car or string of cars without a locomotive. I am talking with N3V to work out the details of re-instating a queue or mailbox for the iTrainz network. It was there in the past, but was using too much resources as it also stored other things as well. I'd like to keep anything I do solidly inside Trainz and available to all. Thanks for the offer. We may need to re-asses if N3V does not come through for us.

David

Yeah I forgot about the drive command "InstantLoad" works good on Pass equipment including baggage and mail!

That's the exact idea I was going for Charles. Though as we have stated, it works as is with out the server part. Though it would still be a nice feature.

If I get a list from every one who is involved of what locomotives they want, I can start making the content file for rolling stock and locomotives. I'm going to use mostly Majekear's rolling stock. So if there is any specific road names you want, let me know that as well.

Alright I will get a list of locomotives pm'd to you by this weekend

OK another question, most of my traffic is coming from a portal to my division point yard then out another portal. Because it stops at my mid point yard and changes power can I still use through traffic records?

OK another question, most of my traffic is coming from a portal to my division point yard then out another portal. Because it stops at my mid point yard and changes power can I still use through traffic records?

Yes, you can use thru traffic records. You can even create them for a specific train. In order to do that, the train will need a name and a mission code. Then include the train name in the Train Name/LocalTrack field of the thru records. You can even include routing instructions such as a train or yard designation in the destination. Then manual discusses this on page 13.

Changing power on a train will not affect the destinations of the cars.

David

Last edited:
Back