LNER Peppercorn Class A1 60163 Tornado at Peterborough, UK (Large Images 1024 x 768)

fen_tiger

Building the Wisbech line

* 8th November 2013

Whilst on a day out to Peterborough, Cambs, I decided to visit the Nene Valley Railway and get a few photos of their own Peterborough station. Completely out of the blue and on a cold, wet November afternoon I had a real treat in seeing LNER Peppercorn Class A1 60163 Tornado making a rare visit to the preserved heritage railway. The reason why 60163 Tornado was on the NVR it was offering driver experience sessions to the paying public.

(1)
60163 seen steaming towards the NVR Peterborough station as seen from the public footpath that runs along part of the line -

(2) By the time it took for me to walk half-a-mile back to the Peterborough NVR station (from where I was standing to take the previous photo) it had started to rain heavily so I had to dive under the station canopy to keep dry and my camera rain-free whilst concentrating on getting these atmospheric shots -

(3) The name simply says it all. Hard to think that this steam locomotive was only built in 2008; out of the money raised purely from public donations, and barely 40 years after the last steam locomotive had been withdrawn from British Rail -

(4) All brand new and built to the original railway clearing-house drawings previously used to build the original A1 class locomotives -

(5) In charge of the NVR 'Driving Experience Day'. As I was getting soaked from the cold rain when taking these photos I wasn't expecting what was about to happen when the driver called to me -

(6) No, this isn't my camera getting misty from the incessant heavy rain, instead this is 60163 Tornado putting on a show of magnificence purely for this unique photo opportunity -

(7) Name-plate in the back of the cab proudly displays the triumph of modern British engineering. It was a truly humbling experience for me to be allowed onto the footplate of 60163 Tornado for a few brief moments to get these unique photos -

©
All images are copyrighted to Andy (Fen Tiger)

Last edited:
* 8th November 2013

Other photos of the Nene Valley Railway at Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, before the heavy rain set in and before the photos of 60163 Tornado were taken.

(1) The Nene Valley Railway at Peterborough -

(2) Peterborough NVR Station. We are looking east towards the city centre and at the end of the 7.5 mile heritage railway line that runs between Peterborough and Yarwell Junction. The rail bridges just beyond the NVR both carry the East Coast Main Line, whilst just beyond these bridges and not clearly seen in this image is the main line between Peterborough and Ely, via Whittlesey and March -

(3) Peterborough NVR Station. Another view of the station, this time looking west towards Wansford - the headquarters of the Nene Valley Railway

(4) Peterborough NVR Station. On the station siding is one of the demonstration goods trains belonging to the NVR. Behind the metal fence and standing on a private siding is a varied mixture of goods wagons owned by 'Railworld', a seperate organisation not connected to the NVR -

(5) Peterborough NVR Station. Woodston Wharf signal box along with an un-connected starter signal; even the station's run-round loop and siding points are un-connected and can only be operated by their own ground frame levers -

(6) Woodston Wharf pedestrian crossing at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac in the Peterborough suburb of Woodston. Pedestrians are warned of on-coming trains as nearby and both sides of this public crossing are trackside whistle boards -

© All images are copyrighted to Andy (Fen Tiger)

Last edited:
Back