New Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 users is impressive!

Yeah, that's how I have it set too, but so far no update to IE11 has occurred even though there have been other MS updates in recent days/weeks. I thought these things went out all over the world at the same time...

Just downloaded and installed the latest Internet Explorer version 11 - which has been available for Win8 / Win8.1 users for some time - but which is now finally accessible to Windows 7 users.
It is very impressive - on first impressions, it seems to be faster than Google Chrome, which is typically my default and preferred browser.
As an ISP and web designer, I use a large number of different browsers to view my work ahead of publishing to ensure that my HTML 5 code and CSS renders properly across the most popular browsers and mobile devices.
So right now I am testing this browser in Windows 7.

This post is a test to see whether the Trainz forum message box handles carriage returns (i.e. inserts new lines) correctly. You might recall that the Windows 8 version of IE10 did not do this well earlier and needed to be used in compatibility mode for text entry in these posts.

When I hit "Enter", new lines are inserted.

Note: Not sure if it is my wireless keyboard doing this - or IE11 - but entering text here in this post has been fraught with frequent problems involving the omission of characters as I enter text. And the mouse does not select text very well either. Very frustrating!!! Battery levels are all ok on both keyboard and mouse.
Will check using Chrome instead, shortly.
What has your experience been? Keen to hear from those of you who are using IE11 in the Windows 7 OS environment and entering posts on this forum.
Thanks and cheers,
PC

Thats interesting about the missing characters since the same thing is happening on my IE11 desktop but not on my laptop which I am using now. However it currently only seems to happen with this forum. If I cannot sort the problem on my desktop I may have to roll back to IE10. BTW it is also happening on a friends laptop.

Thats interesting about the missing characters since the same thing is happening on my IE11 desktop but not on my laptop which I am using now. However it currently only seems to happen with this forum. If I cannot sort the problem on my desktop I may have to roll back to IE10. BTW it is also happening on a friends laptop.

Interesting... I have no problems with IE11 native in Windows 8.1. I wonder if there is a difference somewhere in the builds between the standalone versus the built-in versions.

John

Hmmm... IE11 just installed itself last night and now I cannot access my bank account because the log-on web page won't accept any text input in the 'account number' and 'password' fields...great. And even as I write this note, I am noticing some missing characters and scrolling problems. Thanks for ruining my life once again Microsoft.

Luckily everything still works in Chrome!

Hmmm... IE11 just installed itself last night and now I cannot access my bank account because the log-on web page won't accept any text input in the 'account number' and 'password' fields...great. And even as I write this note, I am noticing some missing characters and scrolling problems. Thanks for ruining my life once again Microsoft.

Luckily everything still works in Chrome!
Interesting because here in the UK I have no problems with text input for accessing my bank account.

I think my problems with IE11 stem from incompatibilities with plug-ins for Kaspersky internet security. If I turn off the plug-ins Safe Money and Virtual Keyboard, my banking page once again accepts text inputs. Still having problems with missing characters as I struggle to write this forum note however...changing from WYSIWYG to Source mode seems to help though.

I would roll back to IE10 but System Restore didn't work.. Seems I can't take a trick lately.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that the IE11 upgrade didn't work out for Dinorius_Redundicus and SuperFudd.
I'm still pretty happy with the performance of this browser on my Windows 7 and 8 computers, though without having "Compatibility mode" enabled for THIS forum, there's still that character omission problem.
Not sure what causes that, but suspect it is the old cascading style sheet (CSS) format used by our forum template.
Line entries/ carriage returns work properly when posting here at last in IE11 but judging from the comments made by others above that might not be universal.
Fortunately we are blessed with rich choice in web browsers these days, so choose the ones that suit you best and enjoy!
PC

Did a bit more research on this.

Despite solving my bank access problems (temporarily as it turned out) I still had problems with character omissions, inactive carriage returns etc. on the Forum. I un-installed IE11, un-installed IE10 too and went right back to IE9. Then a fresh re-install of IE10 after first getting all necessary Windows updates that it required.

Character problems were still there. I never had them previously with IE10, so what I suspect happened was that IE11 changed some vital settings when it installed itself, and those settings have remained in place to affect any version of IE that I now install. Worse still, I could not even access my bank's logon page, let alone enter logon details. My previous trick of disabling some Kaspersky features, did not solve the 'bank access' problem. This was Commonwealth Bank of Australia's Netbank that I was having trouble with.

I note a couple of significant things here; I could access and logon to Netbank OK using Chrome as the browser, which proved the Netbank page was active. And even from my semi-crippled IE10, I could access an account I have with another bank, ING. I took this all to mean there was some subtle incompatibility only between IE (or its settings) and CBA's Netbank.

I should mention here too that I did try IE's 'broken page' compatibility icon, but it made absolutely no difference.

After a further day Googling for hints I discovered that someone else had pretty much the same problems as me, except it was with Bank of America's internet banking. The advice from a sage at Microsoft said that some banks had been slow to upgrade their encryption protocols (or something like that) and suggested un-checking the "Use TLS 1.2" option, buried deep in IE's advanced security settings. Did that, and suddenly I could access my net bank once again. How securely, I don't know, heck I don't even know what a TLS is.

In theory, I suppose should be able to upgrade to IE11 as long as I take note of all my settings and restore them if something doesn't work, but I'm feeling exhausted by the experience so I think I will stay with IE10 for now (and make sure I un-check its "install new versions automatically" box in the "About" menu.

And I still have the problem with WYSIWYG text on vBulletin forums (or at least Trainz forums), so I'm not impressed with IE11 (or IE10 for that matter). But habit keeps me using the damned thing!

Last edited:
Back