Nvidia - Shadow Play Beta : Pretty Sweet

I saw that too but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It might be better than FRAPs because this is hardware accelerated.

John

It seems to work a treat. One point if you have an old fashioned 4:3 ratio monitor. Play the video back in Windows Media Center rather than Media Player and select Zoom3 to remove the top and bottom black spaces and expand the image to the correct ratio.

FYI......Will not load IF you have no games that can use it.......T12 cannot, I guess.

DaveL

If you haven't got any of their listed games ( as I haven't) then it appears you have to be on line for it to work. It doesn't work for me off line and there is then no reference to Shadow Play on the GFExperience screen.

Open Gforce experince goto MyRig select shadow play and it tell you if you Rig is able to use shadowplay, minimum is an I3 CPU.

What did you do to get it to work?

Mine comes up greyed over (Using Windows 8.1 with 2 monitors).

John

It required no tweaking or effort to work. I was curious so I booted 09 in full screen to find the Shadowmode symbol was available. Alt-F9, recording a section and found it was perfect.

As to why it may not being working I am unsure. Whether it is down to the version of Trainz or the setup I am unsure. I however am also using Windows 8.1 with two monitors so I would rule out that factor. :)

Edit: Shadowplay does see TS2009 as Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004 if that is of any use.

I must add:

Shadowplay requires a built in H.264 encoder chip found on the 600 and 700 series of Nvidia Geforce GPU's. Any cards other than these along with the lower end 600 series cards such as the GT640 and below will NOT work with Shadowplay.

What did you do to get it to work?

Mine comes up greyed over (Using Windows 8.1 with 2 monitors).

John

My button was greyed out but it works anyway - clicked on the greyed-out button and it set itself up. Saves .mp4 to Users/name/Train Simulator 2004/file.mp4 using Alt+F9 in-game.

And it is a good recording.

Hi Ken,

This didn't work for me at all. I tried that key combination and nothing happened. I'm running Windows 8.1 so perhaps that's the issue. I read on the GForce Experience forums that it doesn't work reliably for a lot of people yet. Hopefully NVidia will take care of the bugs because this is a great idea because it uses the hardware for video acceleration and capture which takes the load off of the rest of the system while the video is being captured.

John

Windows 8.1 is a bit faster and actually runs pretty nicely. Microsoft fixed a lot of the first go around bugs. They still have that new "Metro" start menu, but you can boot directly to the desktop. I boot to the Metro interface because I run a few of the applications there and then load my desktop.

With two monitors, I have two separate desktops, and I can bring up multiple browser windows, which I split on the monitors. I also run Trainz windowed at my screen resolution and I can resize the desktop too so that's windowed.

There is a lot to the OS that I'm still learning about. If the media stops complaining about it, it will be liked by the public. Unfortunately, because the media said it's trash, they'll make sure that everyone things so.

John

Quite odd considering I have a similar setup and find that Shadowplay works.

May I ask what graphics card you are currently using, John? :)

John, thanks for the info. I admit I'm one who has been influenced by the media and bad PR. I'm running Win7 at the moment and see no real advantage for upgrading, but a mate just told me he's getting a new rig with Win8, so I'll have a look at that and then decide.

I noticed a little fine print on the Shadow play:

Q: What games are supported?
A: ShadowPlay supports all DirectX 9, 10, and 11-based games.

So id assume you have to run trainz in DirectX rather than the traditional OpenGL

EDIT: I can confirm that the swap to DirectX from OpenGl does in fact correct the issue with shadow play not loading up for trainz. Though I do wish to state that recording Trainz 2010 with shadow play produces a slightly white-washed affect. Probably a driver glitch as it is still a beta.

Last edited:
I noticed a little fine print on the Shadow play:

So id assume you have to run trainz in DirectX rather than the traditional OpenGL

EDIT: I can confirm that the swap to DirectX from OpenGl does in fact correct the issue with shadow play not loading up for trainz. Though I do wish to state that recording Trainz 2010 with shadow play produces a slightly white-washed affect. Probably a driver glitch as it is still a beta.

Hi Kevin,

I still can't get it to work, but then I'm using Windows 8.1 so that may have something to do with the issue.

John

Back