Kickstarter Rewards & Gold Stars

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
As our project gets closer to launch, what better time than to discuss the types of rewards people would really, really appreciate as recognition for supporting Trainz: A New Era.

If you look through other Kickstarter projects (especially other game projects), you will notice a variety of rewards being offered, from copies of the game through to having Planets named after you.

We'd love to hear your thoughts regarding various reward levels, and the type of premium you would pay for something "extra special/unique".

For example, would you like your house, face or car modeled in high-poly, high-resolution 3D? You supply the photos, we create the assets, and you even decide if you put the assets up on the DLS or not. How much would you reasonably pay for personalized assets? (Obviously not aimed at 3D modellers).

We've come up with a bunch of ideas, but I'm sure you guys can come up with a whole range of items/benefits/perks/features/scripts/labels/collectors pieces/art/badges/clothing/hats/pens/naming rights/images/digital "things"...you name it.

Go wild with your ideas (although we'd prefer to keep away from physical items where possible). Things can be cheap, expensive, rare or common - we really just want to know what you'd like on top of the core product offering as part of various reward levels.

Content creation groups - think about bite-size features/widgets/who knows what else, that might make a difference between pledging a small amount and a larger amount.

It's a bit like writing a list for Santa - you might want a G gauge in the garden :mop:, but you might also put down a new pair of slippers on your list in case your big present doesn't happen :D.

Is alpha/beta testing going to be part of this or not? Reason I ask is some think it will - I personally think it shouldn't be.

So we are going to be fobbed off with a load of useless trinkets then... Are we?
Used as walking billboard's I suppose.

Last edited:
Tony, I backed Elite: Dangerous on Kickstarter and I would suggest using some of the rewards available on that as ideas.

I don't see how a naming database would work and I don't find the idea of cheap corporate gifts very appealing but perhaps consideration to a private backer's forum, a digital download, part of the 1st or 2nd stage private beta testing, alpha testing could be considered? I'm lifting ideas almost directly from the Elite rewards levels but don't see why they couldn't be applied here.

Tony,

Having named buildings and drivers is not particularly appealing to us longtime supporters of the Trainz franchise. This is more appropriate I would say for the young kids who might wish to donate a bit of their newspaper money!

Perhaps N3V should consider such things along the line of:

Highest paid contributors will receive A signed poster of the crew standing in front of N3Vs headquarters, a lifetime ticket, free DLC of their choice, and access to the beta and alpha program while people who donate less will receive less in return of course.

I'm thinking on the lines of a Kick Starter I participated in wit Reed Timmer of the Storm Chasers fame. My donation of $35 US gave me free downloads of the two seasons of his videos plus access to his live streaming while other people received personal storm chasing trips with Reed and his crew in the Dominator vehicle.

John

How about content?

For instance a custom made railcar as requested by the reward recipient (subject to adequate documentation) undertaken by N3V or commissioned by N3V from a well known content creator. With, perhaps, the number of axles being the key to the level of reward. EG: if I gave $25 I could request a specific 2 axle freight car, $35 a 2 axle passenger car,... $50 a 4 axle passenger car or a 6 axle freight car... $75 a diesel locomotive, $100 a steam locomotive etc. (prices are examples only I have no idea on current commission's pricing) Some decisions about later availability of the reward railcar as freeware or payware would need to be made.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Without being a party-pooper, I would say get the scheme up and running and the basics in place before worrying about gimmicks. If you really want to make a gesture, just give anyone who pledges $5 off the eventual retail purchase price.

just give anyone who pledges $5 off the eventual retail purchase price.
Sounds kinda stuppid to get a $5 off for something you have already paid for via the pledge.
That is kinda the idea behind the whole pledging: "I pay you X in advance to make us Y".
Unless I completely misunderstood that of course.

As the owner of a life-time FCT, I am also not really interested in that suggestion.

Paying more to become a alpha / beta tester will most likely result in crappy tested software as most people will just see it as earlier access to the actual software.
I rather have my software seriously tested before getting it or (as experienced tester) actually getting asked to be involved in the testing.

Do like the voucher idea for payware, but more because I think there will be a lot of people interested in that and you get to choose afterwards instead of getting something you either already have or are not interested in at all.

How about making people's vote (for the extra functionality) count heavier the more they pledge? Or actually getting to vote at all in future functionality.

Last edited:
Sounds kinda stuppid to get a $5 off for something you have already paid for via the pledge.
That is kinda the idea behind the whole pledging: "I pay you X in advance to make us Y".
Unless I completely misunderstood that of course.

As the owner of a life-time FCT, I am also not really interested in that suggestion.

Paying more to become a alpha / beta tester will most likely result in crappy tested software as most people will just see it as earlier access to the actual software.
I rather have my software seriously tested before getting it or (as experienced tester) actually getting asked to be involved in the testing.

Do like the voucher idea for payware, but more because I think there will be a lot of people interested in that and you get to choose afterwards instead of getting something you either already have or are not interested in at all.

How about making people's vote (for the extra functionality) count heavier the more they pledge? Or actually getting to vote at all in future functionality.

Good Post my friend, i agree here 100%

How about making people's vote (for the extra functionality) count heavier the more they pledge?

This is hardly democratic though as someone with a fortune to pledge could exert undue influence for something ludicrous, thus trumping the thousands who pledge $10 for Option A.

And as I understand it, Kickstarter is money spent on top of what you eventually pay for the software - you still have to buy it regardless?

Tony: I really think you guys @ N3V, should be more involved in the Forum..By that I mean you guys get in the trenches on the Forum and answer some of the Newbies questions as well as some veterans questions..This way you can get more of the pulse feelings..And perhaps you will be able to fix problems sooner..My Thoughts..

And you'll be able to understand how the community feels, what we like and what we dislike, who your customers are and how to make them happy :)

And you'll be able to understand how the community feels, what we like and what we dislike, who your customers are and how to make them happy :)

This is something I was going to say. You beat me to it. :)

Seriously though, Auran did one heck of a good job back in the old days before things started falling apart. It would be nice to see that kind of communication and involvement of the company representatives again with the community and product. This is a win-win situation because they will really understand how well the public feels about their product and what areas need improvement. Perhaps they should take Microsoft's approach and periodically bring up polls requesting feedback on the product and how they are doing.

John

FCTs and DLC would be my preferred route. Perhaps very high pledgers could choose a model to be made that would then be released to everyone as DLC.

Back