2 easy Q's from noob

Stimpy61

Loving 12 and just started Trinity Bay route with my first Steamer try ever.
I see coal points and fuel points all over.
I assume I will get coal at the coal, but scenario started with 30%-ish water and see no water points.
I have tried a few times at a fuel point but get no water. (I assume fuel is for the diesel runs)
??? Where do I get water?
I free roamed around but see no water looking towers.

Q2.....
The Trinity discription states all can be run as shunting movements.
I searched the manual and can not find "shunting"
What is the definition?

Thanks

Hi Stimpy,

I don't have the Trinity Bay Route, but it sounds as though it is set up for diesels. You can always add a water tower industry near one of the engine sheds, there are quite a few water towers on the DLS. If you want to run steam you might also want to add a turntable somewhere.

Shunting is the process of sorting wagons/cars to make up a train ready for a mainline loco to couple to and take to it's destination.
Or splitting a train to deliver wagons/cars to industries. Shunting is usually done by a smaller loco or an older loco, not usually by the mainline loco.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Hi, you fill the loco with both coal and water under the coal tower, next to the turntable where the scenario starts.
You just need to place the loco between the yellow markers and wait for it to fill with both. You can Ctrl-right click on the tender of the loco to see when it is completed.
The shunting (also known as switching) is when you take certain wagons from where they are placed, to load or unload somewhere else.
cheers,
Mike

By the author

Hi Stimpy --

I assume you are referring to the "British Steam" session?

Coal and water facilities are, as Mike pointed out, available at the loco depot on the lower level.

Because steam locomotives consume much more water than coal, there is also a water standpipe at the upper level.

"Two great countries, divided by a common language" (Winston Churchill).
Shunting (English) = switching (North American).
Wagons = freight cars
Engine = locomotive
Driver = engineer
Point = switch

The reason for "All the movements can be made as shunting movements" is to give you the option, if you want, to have the locomotive pushing the freight cars rather than always pulling them.

Strictly speaking I would think than in real life it would be an operational requirement that the locomotive be at the head end of the train. This would certainly be the case on the spiral downgrades. But in this particular route to do this would require a lot of additional shunting (switching) movements. It's really to make it easier for you.

You will find that the freight cars will also load or unload when spotted between the yellow markers.

Phil

Edit: Your reference to 30% is, I suspect, the water level in the locomotive boiler. To get the water level up, use the water injector.

I'm sure as a skilled Engineer we are in Cab Mode (Realistic Mode if you have SP1)? If so, the "I" activates the injector (several steps). "O" closes it. I don't use DCC (Easy) so I'm not sure how the injector works in that mode.

To check the cloal and water level in the tender, Ctrl-Right Click.

Last edited:
Back