Article: M/M, TWOR, E2, TANE, Kickstarter Nov 13

Interesting feature, but how should you syncronise your work? If there's more than one copy of game, you'll need some king of server to save actual project and some protection for objects you'd like not to edit.

Is it possible to add some tool to integrate Google Maps overlay into Editor? It can be easily done using Google API Console and should work smth like this:

1. Author places World origin asset on his map, defining the earth coordinates of route (this info should also be used to correct sunlight angle, shadowing, sun dawn and rise time and so on) .
2. Pressing defined key, an array of earth bitmaps are downloading from Google using API.
3. Downloaded maps are being sorted by their coordinates, corresponding to world coordinate system.
4. Ground texture palette may contain hidden ability to paint ground pixels corresponding with map downloaded and merged. Map also can be created on a separate layer, as an removable template. Opacity of this layer might be adjustable.

Also, there may be an ability to create route ground relief by using SRTM files. When route contains an origin marker, a local coordinate system could be evaluated to make a relief sketch, which can be easily edited by existing tools.

I am curious what the thoughts are, if any, in the new (proposed) engine regarding scales. Currently Trainz allows not only Real Scale but also HO, N, etc. Would this be retained in the new engine, or would it only be Real Scale? To me, 'Real Scale only' would make the most sense, but I'd be interested to know if anyone actually uses the other scales and/or feels strongly about them being retained or eliminated.

Regards,
-Mike

I for one feel that there should only be one scale, and seeing that real scale is the one mostly used, we should go with that one.
I don't want to see building that are the wrong scale, all mixed up with the rest of the building on the DLS, any longer.
It's just a huge pain in the backside.

Size matters

@ModellerMY
@j_maybury

The scale alterations in Trainz only affect the ruler measurements. It simply gives you a way of measuring how big a physical model baseboard would if you constructed a layout in your garage, spare room or loft. Each baseboard remains at 720m square regardless of the ruler modelling gauge setting.

Assets are generally made to real scale. Otherwise we’d see rolling stock, tracks etc. built in several different sizes.

I think the reason buildings can be wrongly scaled (my experience is that a very small number are a little smaller) is because they have been badly built. The other reason might be that they can be placed in the middle distance and give the illusion of being further away. This may have been a way of applying a visual trick back in the days when long draw distances were not achievable.

I agree though, real scale is the one to use!

IMHO, just real scale and nothing else. There's no any sense to use HO, N and other in virtual, not real, world. We have no any borders in virtual world building against our garages and basements.

Bit of a niche really but I'd like to see the "signalbox" implemented as part of the multiplayer. Be able to have a simsig sort of interface running on my laptop along side my desktop (or even Ipad), controlling the route and AI without leaving the cab. Also the ability to run LAN multiplayer without having to use DLS-only assets and upload it all to the DLS.

Finally, a new version of Trainz in new engine and as well as 64 bit version plus major updates WOO HOO!! About time someone diid a 64 bit train simulator, as the current crop of 32 bit based train simulators, are really showing the limits of 32 bit code.

Anyway best of luck with Kickstarter,
Wayne.

N3V STILL HAS NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS

The only possible benefit I see at the moment. would be a new timetable setup - but MSTS has had a timetable set up, with various speeds since it started way back in 2001.

MSTS1 you can use Fnn to jump from say driver view, Fnn to jump to say rear view, Fnn to be a passenger. With this simulator at the moment, you need to lock on to the certain loco or carriage to be able to choose driver or passenger view.

It may look good on paper (sorry typed on the web), in theory.

I have to agree with BNSF1995.

Hmm, still no answers about if the DLS is to be discontinued, and that we may need to pay a monthly fee to download stuff??

Last edited:
The only possible benefit I see at the moment. would be a new timetable setup - but MSTS has had a timetable set up, with various speeds since it started way back in 2001.

MSTS1 you can use Fnn to jump from say driver view, Fnn to jump to say rear view, Fnn to be a passenger. With this simulator at the moment, you need to lock on to the certain loco or carriage to be able to choose driver or passenger view.

MSTS had a timetable feature, but not the ability to create routes quickly and easily, to issue orders to drivers, interact with industries, set trackside cameras, play multiplayer and a whole lot of other differences. Trainz did/does allow timetables, and with the Trainz Script functions, we are surprised no-one has created a timetable system (they have created prototypical freight systems, signalling systems etc in script - something else MSTS didn't offer).

Regarding cameras moving from one car to another there are hotkeys for that (look under Options and you will see dozens more hotkeys that do all sorts of wonderful things). Again, if the option is to jump from front to back without stepping through all the cars and you don't want to click on the car directly, a script could be written to accomplish this quite simply and may well exist already.

Hmm, still no answers about if the DLS is to be discontinued, and that we may need to pay a monthly fee to download stuff??

I will answer all your questions below - I think I saw so many and thought I'll get back to this later, but got sidetracked.

DOWNLOAD STATION/CONTENT MANAGERS
1. Am I correct, in that the Download Station/Content Manager will become pay only to be able to download, or to even view the DLS/CMs?
To N3V, just a YES or NO please.
A: No. The Download Station will remain in principal pretty much as it is today.

2. I note that the so called "Future" states "Free to Play", but does that mean that you may need to pay to use whatever the equivalent to the Surveyor would be?
A: Trainz World of Rail, based upon Trainz 12, will be Free to Play and available only on Steam. This product is aimed more at gamers and casual train fans rather than core train sim fans.
Trainz: A New Era, based upon the new engine and subject to the kickstarter project being successful, will be more like a traditional version of Trainz.

NOW THE "BUTS"
The problems are:
3. How many errors WILL their be, as we have seen?;
A: We expect the biggest beta test in the history of Trainz, and we are scheduling additional time for beta testing. So one would expect less bugs at release. However, we will also have a new engine and there may be issues that crop up that are just to large to fix, that could, for example, break some previous asset type.

4. How many patches WILL have to be made to fix these errors?
A: As many as are necessary should this eventuate, just the same as Microsoft, Apple and all software developers who work hard to release things without bugs and work just as hard to fix the bugs after they are identified in the field.

BACKWARD COMPATIBLE:
5. We have seen what happens about that, including built-in content.
A: Whilst not a question, the answer to "not brekaing existing content" is the same as always - we will work hard to ensure compatibility, and we will identify errors with existing content that require updates to work with new systems. It will then be up to content creators to update their content. What many people fail to understand is that while a certain object has errors, there may be many choices of similar objects that work without errors, and a simple find and replace solves the problem.

6. What is a steam account?
A: Check steampowered.com to discover a world of 54M+ gamers, thousands of games, and a host of community related features such as leaderboards, achievements and more.

PRICE OF SO CALLED "NEW ERA"
7. You state a "new era" of games is coming. Isn't that what this company says about all of their new games, be they simulators or not?.
A: This is not a traditional update as we have done for the past 12 years. This is a true leap forward.
7a. But look what happened about TS2010. It's is almost the same (if not the same) as TS2009, as the instructions for TS2010, etc refer to TS2009, not TS2010.
A: TS2010 provided 8 (from memory) brand new routes, plus a smaller selection of new features and a larger number of code enhancements and bug fixes. Our competitors may sell each of these 8 routes at $40.

8. Whatever this steam account is, does that mean that you may need to pay for an account,
A; No

8a: paying for extra for downloads,
A: No
8b. along with paying for the actual game itself,
A: Yes

8c. or even paying to continue submitting to these forums?
A: For you, yes, for all others it will remain free.
Ok, the last answer was tongue in cheek - we will charge everyone $1 per post on these forums.
Ok, I'm being silly now. Forums will remain free as well - forever!

8d. And before people get the wrong idea, I'm not saying the product should be free.
A: That is excellent news for my staff, who also don't work for free.

A: Trainz World of Rail, based upon Trainz 12, will be Free to Play and available only on Steam. This product is aimed more at gamers and casual train fans rather than core train sim fans.
Being based on TS12 does NOT exactly give me confidence: Example (And I doubt that was the author's fault) or cars going all over the place on the road.

Last edited:
Good Evening Red_Rattler
Trainz: World Of Rail is a free to play Steam exclusive edition of Trainz, based upon Trainz Simulator 12. It is not an 'update' to TS12 per-se, it is instead a separate release aimed primarily to increase the exposure of Trainz in the gaming/simulation world; via Steam.

Trainz: A New Era/T2 is a full new release of Trainz, with a new graphics engine, which we will be announcing further information on. To some degree or another, features/functions from TS12 may be carried over (throwing away recent work isn't exactly productive ;) ), however we will also be making improvements.

As to cars going all over the road, this has been greatly improved in TS12 SP1. We have retained the overtaking features to a degree, as we do feel that this is more realistic. We may, in future, make further improvements to this system.

As to the screenshot you have provided, this is exceptionally hard to comment on as all we have is a screenshot. No information on what route, or if it was made by you or downloaded (guessing downloaded based off the comment about the author's fault).

Regards

I thought I put the route name. It's Kurrajong, which according to the download station/CM comes after Kurrajong 1.
Nope, that is not my route. Hope the author doesn't mind saying this, but I wouldn't use that "track". Just to be clear to others, who may not have seen the previous page, I didn't say it was the author's fault.

PS: Overtaking features yes, but not based on how they drive in Italy!!
PS-2: On the previous page, I mentioned another simulator. But all simulators including this one have their pros & cons.

Last edited:
I, for one, am delighted that the Trainz Team have bitten the bullet and found a way for the Trainz Community to show their support for a project that will be be of such enormous benefit to us all (even the nay-sayers) that it is almost priceless.

I have actually been waiting for a way of showing my support for what the Trainz Team* has been doing (under very difficult circumstances) and now we get to help them to take us all on a quantum leap into the future. Works for me!

To be honest, I've always been a little worried that N3V might pull out their funding for Trainz, go broke (hey, it happens these days, you know) or even give in to all the crazy criticism and pull out, leaving us,the Trainz Community, with very little way of moving forward

I predict an amazing reaction to your call for pledges. I'm in, anyway and I really strongly suggest that everyone who knows and loves Trainz (even the ones so far disappointed) should show their support too.

I can't wait for Wednesday the 13th.

Let's do this!

Peter.

* I've even tried to show my support by buying DLCs I really don't have any use for! Call e crazy, but ...

Back